Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2225182 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #2550 on: October 28, 2013, 08:23:22 AM »

Messed with Magician's Frigate to show a few things.  Really wish I had more time atm :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: October 28, 2013, 09:38:03 AM »

Hyph, i preferred the previous one. As Doogie said, the other looks a bit too "milky" for a Gedune ship. But i'm not sure about giving them additional plate armor, especially for frigates. In my mind, Gedune always had the cobbled together feel with some high tech bits inside the steel armature. Ancient high tech generators placed on low tech chassis. Of course that's how i see them, i might be wrong.

Good job Magician on the BISO. I have to say i prefer the gray one even though i really like the colored middle one. However i think the fat one on the bottom left feel kinda flat in comparison to the other but maybe that's more a problem with the original sprite. And with weapons on it, the problem should be less obvious.

Now we just need a bunch of animated lights and stuffs, plus dmaiski insane script for his ships. Now that's gonna be something big!

Xeno, the added lights and greebles are nice buuuuut... It still think something is missing. As Magician said, it's probably something about the lightning. This detail aside it is a good sprite.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: October 28, 2013, 09:43:36 AM »

In the name of the Extra Sexy Tech and dmaiski.

(Well, I am sorry for using dmaiski's sprite for training purposes. I just wanted quickly to try some new technique in photoshop. I hope no one will be upset.)

Spoiler
Ship is painted only by one grey (a little on the blue side) color, the rest is lighting. Tried using several layers to give additional shadow to all parts of ship.
Suprisingly this ship is very nice looking when given at least some color. Can't even imagine how cool it can be if its painted properly.
[close]

Quick update. Tried additional approach with shadows. Seems a bit blurry and requires cleaning, but still most close to what I wanted.

You can do a lot in photoshop even with turning a white-outline sprite picture into a more traditional black-outline one. My starting point for the Kurmaraja was this image, which was the only 90-degree angle image of the original BSF work I did in 2009 that I had available.
Spoiler
[close]

dmaiski

• Captain
  • resistance is futile
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: October 28, 2013, 11:02:05 AM »

:D thanks magician, your magical
BISO
(WIP) lots of shiny new weapons ( :-[ i have more weapons then sprites :-[ )

i got a cat pad
its like a mouse pad but better!

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: October 28, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »

Thule: I love those snippets of lore/graphics, and I super-love Byrngarde.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: October 28, 2013, 05:16:49 PM »

Hyph, i preferred the previous one. As Doogie said, the other looks a bit too "milky" for a Gedune ship. But i'm not sure about giving them additional plate armor, especially for frigates. In my mind, Gedune always had the cobbled together feel with some high tech bits inside the steel armature. Ancient high tech generators placed on low tech chassis. Of course that's how i see them, i might be wrong.

That's just fine! These armoured ships will not be replacing the current ones.

These ones will be in a class of their own, far exceeding the power of their lower tech, scrap heap cousins. These ships represent the first step in the Gedune reclaiming their former power. So fear not, the Gedune as a faction will not change ;) there's just a smal, chance that you may encounter a few... Intact ships in the future.

I've acually had something in the Nandas description that alludes to this, and its been there for an awful long time ;)

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Magician

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: October 29, 2013, 04:02:02 AM »

Wanted to try something new today. Was a total failure. Argh, it was such frustrating experience trying to draw this ship.
Spoiler
[close]

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: October 29, 2013, 04:58:11 AM »

looks good nevertheless, not sure bout yellow color tho but thats personal opinion.

Updated my navy family picture (about time. :-[)

Spoiler
[close]

If it's to big ---> http://i.imgur.com/n4hFZWV.jpg

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: October 29, 2013, 04:58:30 AM »

Total failure? I like it! The colours, the shapes and the shading.

Nice pincher arms too!

Magician

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: October 29, 2013, 07:13:10 AM »

Thanks, ValkyriaL, Erick.

Decided to follow advice of xenoargh and experimented on one of the first attempts at building old retired military low tech frigate.
Here's this poor guy
Spoiler
[close]

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: October 29, 2013, 08:24:50 AM »

Valk, about your family pic, you can use one of the space background from Starsector graphic folder, it will look much better than blank white. Or make it a png with no background, it works well too. Also, try to organize your picture differently. It is definitely better to have a "tall" pic rather than a wide one which isn't as readable (you have to scroll with your mouth to see everything). By doing a vertical chart, you can also have all your ships "standing" and you can organize them by size.

Magician, your "protoss crab" isn't that bad. Sure it could get some improvements (the top left lightning is weird) but i like the streamlined smooth look of it. For your low-tech frigate, the front of the ship looks very boxy while the rest of the ship looks more round, otherwise i like the amount of greeble you put in this one.

Hyph, damn, stronger than their "scrap head" cousins? Gedunes are already on the top bracket for the strongest faction, only the lack of capital ships prevent them from being Neutrino OP level. So go easy on the balance eh?

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: October 29, 2013, 09:19:47 AM »

@Magician:  That last one is definitely heading in the right direction.  Mixing boxy / non-boxy geometry's tricky; you have to be careful about levels and lighting so that it feels reasonably natural :)

As for the "protoss crab", the big issue there is that the lighting's not consistent enough.  It's hard to do that if you don't work at a larger scale.  I'd have reworked that one too but this is all of the screwing-around time I get today :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Xeno's Mod Pack

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: October 29, 2013, 09:57:39 AM »

I love the look of those BSF made ships. Maybe that's because I'm biased. Whatever...
They look great.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: October 29, 2013, 10:34:14 AM »

I think they can look really great if they're shaded well, too :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

dmaiski

• Captain
  • resistance is futile
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: October 30, 2013, 07:32:41 AM »

a kitbash of a kitbash of a kitbash, ie a new retainer ship :P
BISO
(WIP) lots of shiny new weapons ( :-[ i have more weapons then sprites :-[ )

i got a cat pad
its like a mouse pad but better!
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 482