Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2210665 times)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #2145 on: August 27, 2013, 05:49:33 AM »

Ravendarke:

One piece of criticism: Please stop, you are making everybody look bad.

And on a serious note, these are just so freaking awesome - but I would love to see something a little more understated from you. You may not be interested in doing anything like that, but personally I would be really interested to see how you handle something a bit smaller.

Ocho:

The first thing that stares me in the face is the 'edges' - they look a little harsh to me. Some drop shadows, playing with the lightness of various edges etc. and it could improve the sense of depth quite a bit, I feel.

Also worked up the Ridgeback a bit:

Spoiler
xenoargh we should sort out a consultancy fee agreement ;)

[close]

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: August 27, 2013, 07:28:13 AM »

Ravendarke:

And on a serious note, these are just so freaking awesome - but I would love to see something a little more understated from you. You may not be interested in doing anything like that, but personally I would be really interested to see how you handle something a bit smaller.

Thx. Well I already got sketch done for fighter/frigate class, coz those two red parts near Demiliche´s engine are flight decks... it would be shame if they would be useless. Also Cult (working name) ships are going to have standart sizes.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:15:16 PM by Ravendarke »

Arumac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: August 28, 2013, 05:16:22 PM »

Seraphim mk. I

One evening of work, from sketch to this, I might do some polishing tomorrow. Maybe I should said something about it, well: It´s ship created by Try-Tachyon in cooporation with one religion cult (which has acces to best scientists in sector). They have used technology and materials based on Void. While not nearly as strong as any Void ship it levels a battlefield a bit. Ships is not going to be accessible to players until implementation of blueprints and way how to research, unlock, and built it. Weapon includes animated inbuilt energy projectile weapon (two of them, those "lines" in front, I will probably upload animation tomorrow).

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler just for transparent .png, black background wasn´t ideal, tho keep in mind that backgrounds in SC are far from black :)

Yea, that's definitely awesome. I'm trying to find something to critique due to the nature of this thread, but I can't honestly. I think the coloring is perfect, the contrast between the light and dark parts is great, I can't find one thing that I would change on it. I definitely like that style over the other one you've been doing, both are great, but personally this is more my taste. Again, great quality and polish in your work. I'm looking forward to seeing your mod finished, should look awesome.

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: August 28, 2013, 05:48:59 PM »

Thx, I like Void much more then this faction, but truth is I am creating void just to my image, and this faction as something more... how to say it, commercial for players and wider audience. Actually this ship was by far the fastest and easiest to create, few straight hours from sketch to this. Anyway I have already idea for 3d faction (while there is 6-7 ships planned for Void, 8-10 for Cult) and still I am spending lot of time with coding and writing new scripts. So I am thinking about finding someone to who I could outsource scripting. Anyway, to not just spam this topic, something more relevant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q5nAapHcik

This effect isn´t final ofc, but atleast it is showing how this sprite work ingame (relativly close zoom, ship is cruiser, with pixel mass basically same as Dominator class)l

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: August 29, 2013, 11:36:12 PM »

Well, I'm exhausted.

Spoiler
Anyway, ladies and gentlemen, the Scylla:

I suspect she may need a little more definition work put in around her bridge area/foremost small mount and the flat area  between the medium turret mounts and the hardpoints/bow.
[close]

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: August 30, 2013, 06:09:01 AM »

Great job Mshadowy, I'm still of the opinion that SHI needs its own custom turret placements, anyway amazing ship.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: August 30, 2013, 09:54:10 AM »

I've been meaning to do so, but I keep getting sidetracked.

Well, I may as well do it tonight; it's not like I don't have any ideas for what the mounts look like.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: August 30, 2013, 12:43:12 PM »

I suspect she may need a little more definition work put in around her bridge area/foremost small mount and the flat area  between the medium turret mounts and the hardpoints/bow.
Bridge area seems fine to me, but I think you're spot-on about the area between medium turrets & hardpoints being too flat.  Other than that she just needs the same sort of detail pass the Tartarus got and she'll be good to go.

Incidentally, I retract my original comment about a mobility system being a good idea for the Scylla - the phasing cloak will be a mobility system next patch.  (I think you could even mod it to do that now?  Haven't looked at that yet so not 100% sure.)  In which case... hm... something like the Tempest's terminator drone might be neat?  Then again, I'm not sure she'll even need a ship system...
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: August 30, 2013, 12:57:07 PM »

Actually, I had been pondering a flux ejector kinda system -- almost like a flare system, but would instead eject flux-sinks, removing a certain amount of flux from the ship..

But that might be a bit much, especially for a phase ship; a terminator drone kinda deal might be better, aye.  I had actually been thinking of giving attack drones to the Charybdis... and thinking about it, there's no real need for that plan to change, as I can give the phase cruiser phase drones and the carrier more regular fightery kinda drones.  Hmmm...

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: August 30, 2013, 01:27:01 PM »

Actually, I had been pondering a flux ejector kinda system -- almost like a flare system, but would instead eject flux-sinks, removing a certain amount of flux from the ship..

But that might be a bit much, especially for a phase ship.
Well, one can always tune the ship's stats around what the system can do for it... the problem I have with a flux ejector is that either it has limited charges (which I don't like), or its charges regenerate and there's no really interesting decision about when to use them.  Drones, at least, add the interesting component of being able to maintain some combat presence (and maybe some point defense?) while the ship is phased out.  (Though I might avoid giving them PD, since a strong PD drone system would allow the Scylla to spend her turret slots on more firepower rather than missile defense - and she really doesn't need more firepower; I'd envision a drone system that's tuned to try to protect her from fighters - light assault guns or ion cannons, maybe?)

For the Charybis... hm... Yeah, regular fightery kinda drones would be neat, imo; the only drone that's a real full-on capable fighter-craft is the Tempest's terminator, so that's definitely an open niche.  All the others are either point defense, or the Apogee's sensor drones (though their ion cannons are actually really nice, the drones themselves are too fragile to risk outside their mothership's shields.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: August 30, 2013, 09:59:21 PM »

Well, the graphics for this villain are about ready I'd say.

Spoiler

Warning: the next image is pretty big, just so you know.

Spoiler
[close]
Visible in this shot are also the Scylla's little helpers, a pair of phase drones, up to no good.
[close]

What remains is mostly just effects tweaking, particularly for the built in weapon, a heavy kinetic damage beam with some emp, which at the moment is pretty ugly.  I also intend to make another small fighter only weapon for the phase drones rather than keep them using the Skinwalkers gun.

NITROtbomb

• Commander
  • I like Mah glass cannon ships :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: August 31, 2013, 09:21:29 PM »

this is from a page of sprite parts that I cannot for the life of me remember who posted them but with a lot of work I think this ship, GeminO looks like an OK ship.

Spoiler
[close]
Dancing and playing games, how does that work.. well YOU tell me!

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: September 01, 2013, 03:47:56 AM »

Definitely made in Battleships Forever, a lovely sprite!
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

NITROtbomb

• Commander
  • I like Mah glass cannon ships :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: September 01, 2013, 05:25:16 AM »

thanks yeah thats the game that the stuff is from... say you don't happen to know where to find sprite part sheets per chance? :)
Dancing and playing games, how does that work.. well YOU tell me!

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: September 01, 2013, 05:46:00 AM »

thanks yeah thats the game that the stuff is from... say you don't happen to know where to find sprite part sheets per chance? :)

Yeah man,

I actually have a bunch of them haha, Add me on Skype and i can send em across
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 482