Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2210790 times)

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #2100 on: August 20, 2013, 05:43:45 PM »

Better, but i still think the first one was better. The textures looked thinner and less... I don't know... Fat? Also, i think you should add more different parts for your ships. While it wasn't problematic with the small one, on the cruiser it really look like a bunch of copy/paste parts cobbled together. So you should try to add more different shapes to avoid the repeating feel on the big ships.

And another thing, i think the lights are too "big". Wouldn't numerous little green dots fit better?

Edit: Poor Erick, i must really sound like a b*tch ;D

Ravendarke

• Captain
  • Nemesis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: August 20, 2013, 05:52:23 PM »

Imho size of lights is ok.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: August 20, 2013, 10:11:55 PM »

I'll experiment with adding some lighting. Thanks! :)

[edit]

Spoiler
[close]

I didn't add light over the green tanks, but I added some lights nonetheless.

dont listen to him erick, i personally find that this iteration of your zorg ship is awesome. just dark enough with lights for effect and the same weird industrially built wire/pipe/whatever style.

cant wait to see the guns on that thing (your concept for zorg tactics already got my curiosity)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: August 21, 2013, 01:27:18 AM »

Sorry, meant to say perhaps ADD docking arms
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: August 21, 2013, 02:32:25 AM »

I'll experiment with adding some lighting. Thanks! :)

[edit]

Spoiler
[close]

I didn't add light over the green tanks, but I added some lights nonetheless.

dont listen to him erick, i personally find that this iteration of your zorg ship is awesome. just dark enough with lights for effect and the same weird industrially built wire/pipe/whatever style.

cant wait to see the guns on that thing (your concept for zorg tactics already got my curiosity)

Everybody is just trying to give helpful feedback and I appreciate everyone's opinion.  :)

I don't think I want to change the style of the ships at this time, but I will keep an eye out for repetition and avoid copy-pasting too much of the same. Though I don't mind ships having similar parts. As long as they do not look too symmetric.

All I have to add now is the Zorg Probe. A single circular 'fighter' the size of a vanilla frigate. Equipped with one handler ray. It will be very fast and maneuverable and is intended to quickly capture buoys. It is also very durable. But since it is the size of a frigate it will also be very easy to hit. And it won't be able to do much damage with just one handler ray.

[edit]
I am considering giving the Probe a "Transmitter Ray" that does absolutely no damage but simply transfers a "greeting" from the Zorg. :)

[edit 2]
The Zorg Drone, Surveyor and Tactical Overseer will have their maneuverability stripped almost completely. This means that they can not turn. However, I am going to add a superior maneuvering jet system called a "Zorg Displacer" that allows Zorg ships to turn rapidly once used.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:56:48 AM by Erick Doe »

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: August 21, 2013, 04:19:56 AM »

Zorg Probe:

Spoiler
[close]

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #2106 on: August 21, 2013, 05:07:42 AM »

Interesting idea about no usual turning and being able to turn only with the help of the system. Might borrow it if you don`t mind :)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: August 21, 2013, 05:10:05 AM »

Interesting idea about no usual turning and being able to turn only with the help of the system. Might borrow it if you don`t mind :)

Go right ahead! :)

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #2108 on: August 21, 2013, 05:27:03 AM »

Slylandro probe comes as an example of what can be achieved by this. A thing that flies crasy fast and can turn only with the help of some EMP-lightning-spitting thingy.

DarkAlbino

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: August 21, 2013, 06:21:25 AM »

lurking in darkness, some things kept piling up which I now would like to get some criticism on.

first off some kitbashes I made a while ago mainly to have more vanilla faction styled ships to give the factions this faction feel.

The "Hadron" Cruiser-sized Carrier from Tritachyon
Spoiler

[close]

new "Omen" based on the "Wolf"
Spoiler

[close]

new "Hyperion" based on an unused shuttle from vanilla
Spoiler

[close]

two new versions of the "Starflier" from "Plus" mod
Spoiler

[close]

"Slingshot" Hegemony Fighter based on the "Thunder"
Spoiler

[close]

Cruiser-size Carrier "Reia" of Hegemony, funny though, this and the next ship are quite similar to the valkyrian version, but I did them without knowledge of these.
Spoiler
[close]

Destroyer-size Carrier "Gorgon"
Spoiler
[close]

Destroyer "Cerberos"
Spoiler
[close]

Missile Destroyer "Ballista"
Spoiler
[close]

"Buffallo Mk.III", all ballistic.
Spoiler
[close]

And now on to a new faction I am building right now:
the "Qualljom Society", a group of scientists and explorers.

These are mainly drawn "by hand", the shapes tend towards fish, jellyfish, squid or shells and seasnails or those ammonite.

"Kimil" Interceptor
Spoiler

[close]

"Turan" Fighter
Spoiler
[close]

"Sayph" Missile Bomber
Spoiler
[close]

"Minal" Frigate
Spoiler
[close]

"Vonol" Heavy Destroyer, I would like to give it a tough front armor, but I guess this doesn't work yet or ever.
Spoiler
[close]

"Enshy" light Carrier
Spoiler
[close]

"Drordaw" Battlecruiser, lacking some detail, definitly adding some.
Spoiler
[close]

looking forward to hear your opinion.

Yeah, big post, hope it's O.K.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:24:07 AM by DarkAlbino »

NITROtbomb

• Commander
  • I like Mah glass cannon ships :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: August 21, 2013, 07:02:51 AM »

this is sick man would love to see these in game.

also might want to look at the shadowing of the ships and a fluid connection of the turret/hardpoints.
unless this is already planed :)
Dancing and playing games, how does that work.. well YOU tell me!

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: August 21, 2013, 07:08:50 AM »

Welcome, glad to see a new face :)

I really like all of the new sprites a lot; using sea creatures as the theme is fun and could really be interesting :)  I also like the basic forms and they're very neat and tidy, not a lot of fuzzy edges, etc. :)

In terms of critique:

Spoiler
The first thing I'd do with these is rework the shading, making them feel lit a little more correctly and deepening the contrast in a few places.  For example, the Drordaw's bridge should be casting a smallish shadow on the rear geometry (Vanilla art's lighting is slightly forward, not just straight up).  

To make this easier, I'd separate your outlines from the color areas and keep the gun positions in a separate layer to make it easy to do some corrections; if they're all in one layer at this point, you'll want to fix that so that it's easier to work with.  Your outlines are just fine, so doing this will save lots of trouble :)

Look over areas where you may have used darker shades, which suggests an area is recessed, but haven't used shadows to convey that as well as possible.  For example, the Minal has those much darker brown areas on the "wings"; this suggests they're lower than the other geometry, but the upper geometry isn't casting a shadow on it.

To get better lighting results, you may want to scale everything up and use the airbrush tools; it's often helpful in cases like these to scale things up and then take it back to final sizes later.  Remember to use a power-of-two size when blowing it up (2, 4, 8 and so forth) so that it will scale back down nicely.

Anyhow, those are my random thoughts, hope they're helpful :)
[close]
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

ThePinkSpartan

• Ensign
  • Give me the answer and I'll work it out from there
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: August 21, 2013, 05:08:32 PM »

So, second sprite, spose I can't ask for miracles.... Got some issues with this one, but I've painted myself into a corner as it were and don't want to get too hung up on it. Still, unleash hell-of-judgement unto me! I'm ready. I'll put my first sprite (The littler ship) next to it for reasons of blurgh...

Heh, looking a bit messy there aren't they... Wellp, they're meant to be ships from a long-collapsed royal empire, imagine the cream and blue livery being something once respected and now meaningless! Hence the decay and cracks and stuff. Anyway, the new sprite is some sort of combat ship, ten points if you can tell me the sci-fi ship that inspired the design! Bring on the feedback, I'd like to see if it aligns with my own internal criticisms. Feedback for my general work is welcomed too, I'm a scrublord in sprite design at the minute so all help is welcomed, cheers ;)

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: August 21, 2013, 10:46:44 PM »

Well, here goes I guess.  The left most, more spire-like one is probably the better of the two in my opinion as far as the basic design goes.  However, she kind of feels like a paper cutout towards the back end and generally I would say lacks character.  I'm not sure, beyond figuring where her bow and aft are, what is supposed to be what.  I do get a kind of original star trek vibe from her I guess.  That's cool.

The stubbier one on the right is kind of... hmmm.  Well, I actually kinda like the little double bridge thing you've got going on it, but it does create the impression of a very small ship, which I'm not sure you were going for.  The simplicity of the hull shape, particularly in comparison to the larger sister, reinforces the feeling of smallness.  Overall though, I'd say the weakest part is how the separate pieces are joined together which is kinda funky looking.

... anyway, did some work on the Tartarus, decided the hull seemed a bit plain, and am thinking that I may need to give this some more thought.  Blah.

Spoiler

Not looking so hot right now.
[close]

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: August 22, 2013, 12:46:41 AM »

More faffing about with the Pitbull:

Spoiler
Think I have managed to tweak it so that it has a better sense of scale, and looks a bit bigger. Also messed about with introducing a bit of colour variation through the hull, and lots of small pixeling details.

[close]

MShadowy: I don't feel like I can really offer you much, as I always love your ships. Running with the principle that the Tartarus hull looks a bit plain - perhaps it does. On the other hand the clean shell has a certain character of its own. I think I would have to stare at it for a bit, preferably with it as my flagship, to decide whether I agree with you.

ThePinkSpartan: The big thing for me is a lack of texture, or greebling, or whatever you want to call it - and a lack of depth or ... detail?

It makes it a little difficult to comment as the sense of scale is difficult to comprehend. I'd also suggest the big ship looks like it needs 'tying' together with details or somesuch. At present it looks like a load of boxes next to each other in space with a pointy front. I'd suggest that is a jolly good start to a ship - though the time consuming bit is always in the detailing, but that is also the difference in making something look 'right'.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 482