Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2224556 times)

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #1875 on: July 18, 2013, 02:09:30 PM »

Destroyeeeer! Yaaaaaaaaaay!

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: July 18, 2013, 02:19:16 PM »

Now thats a gunship right there, cute little fella isn't he? ;)

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: July 18, 2013, 02:36:11 PM »

That looks menacing as hell.  I think it'd look more menacing with all the weapon hardpoints filled, though.  LOL.

Now thats a gunship right there, cute little fella isn't he? ;)

One of the few gunships I've seen that I actually like and frequently use.  Maneuverable, fast, decent shields, small profile, and versatile Ballistic slots.  The Yuushan MK II, isn't it?  I usually play Valkyrians in Excelerin, but I've only been able to get the MK I.  Is there something special you have to do or is it luck?

I load that thing up with Needlers and Lancers and go to town, dodging missiles and sniping capital ships all day.  Usually the first thing I do is get one of 'em to the Omnifactory so I can start cranking out squadrons of them.

The only other real Gunship in the mod was the Blackrock Locust and the limited faction weapons kinda gimped it for me because I couldn't get an Energy Weapon that wasn't crappy for Blackrock and since the Locust has 2 energy slots, that kinda sucked...

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: July 18, 2013, 02:50:18 PM »

That looks menacing as hell.  I think it'd look more menacing with all the weapon hardpoints filled, though.  LOL.
Ha! Yeah ... overdid the mount layout with respect to 'vanilla balance', fell short of a few OPs in refit. Nice to play around, though.

Also, a quick bash in to something a bit 'tighter', as an experiment:

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: July 18, 2013, 03:01:30 PM »

It looks very biomechanical mendonca. Are you planning on making a new faction? Nice sprite BTW, even though i prefer the "tighter" version.

Valkyrial, i like it. It change a lot from the usual giant monsters you habitued us to ;D. But only 2 smalls mounts? That's a bit light for a gunship, unless it will be part of a wing?

Also, kudos Thule for your new version of the Yellow jacket. I hope you are going to make some more of these as this is probably your best sprite yet.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: July 18, 2013, 05:15:53 PM »

Ha! Yeah ... overdid the mount layout with respect to 'vanilla balance', fell short of a few OPs in refit. Nice to play around, though.

I'm not actually so sure of that - it's roughly comparable to the Hammerhead destroyer or the Falcon light cruiser; it's got - judging just by mounts - slightly more forward firepower than either, but as a destroyer-sized cousin to the Brawler frigate, that's not that bad.
If I were trying to scale it back, though, I'd consider swapping the medium energy hardpoints for small missile hardpoints, and replacing the medium missile turrets with either medium energy (to maintain current weapon balance) or possibly medium universal (if you want the flexibility to go either missileboat or uber-brawler).

...I probably wouldn't give it the EMP emitter as a system, though; for one thing, that makes it scary in player hands (near-immunity to missiles), but it also doesn't work well under AI control on something with some actual firepower, since the AI will blithely activate EMP whenever it can - locking itself out of firing its main guns.  Might be tempting to give it, say, horrible 1.4 efficiency shields... and the fortress shield as a system.  Don't know how well the AI would use that, but it'd at least amuse me.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: July 18, 2013, 05:38:07 PM »

Thanks for all the heads up and copliments, much appreciated ;)

A small asthetical update for the subfaction "Yellowjackets" of the "3 Colors Coalition":

Spoiler
[close]
Anvil-class Astro Forge

Spoiler
[close]
Termite-class Frigate

Spoiler
[close]
Ogre-class Bomber

I would like to incorporate an existing mod weapon.
Does anyone know a large Energy Weapon that fits on a mining themed Ship?
I looked up Blackrock, Junk Pirates and could not find something suitable. Any Ideas and/or hints?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:02:16 PM by Thule »

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #1882 on: July 18, 2013, 05:58:07 PM »

Beams? Projectiles? What kind of projectile? Plasma?
Ps: I think the Termite looks better without stripes. :)

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: July 18, 2013, 07:21:38 PM »

It looks very biomechanical mendonca. Are you planning on making a new faction? Nice sprite BTW, even though i prefer the "tighter" version.

Valkyrial, i like it. It change a lot from the usual giant monsters you habitued us to ;D. But only 2 smalls mounts? That's a bit light for a gunship, unless it will be part of a wing?

Also, kudos Thule for your new version of the Yellow jacket. I hope you are going to make some more of these as this is probably your best sprite yet.

Oooh there are new "massive" ships in the next update as well, so don't be sad :D, and that little guy is quite old, and he has 4 mounts, the 2 "sticks" up front are actually gun mounts.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: July 18, 2013, 11:11:52 PM »

Yeah, planning on doing so!

I might prefer the tighter one as well, will have to play about in game and see what I reckon.

Spoiler

I'm not actually so sure of that - it's roughly comparable to the Hammerhead destroyer or the Falcon light cruiser; it's got - judging just by mounts - slightly more forward firepower than either, but as a destroyer-sized cousin to the Brawler frigate, that's not that bad.
If I were trying to scale it back, though, I'd consider swapping the medium energy hardpoints for small missile hardpoints, and replacing the medium missile turrets with either medium energy (to maintain current weapon balance) or possibly medium universal (if you want the flexibility to go either missileboat or uber-brawler).

...I probably wouldn't give it the EMP emitter as a system, though; for one thing, that makes it scary in player hands (near-immunity to missiles), but it also doesn't work well under AI control on something with some actual firepower, since the AI will blithely activate EMP whenever it can - locking itself out of firing its main guns.  Might be tempting to give it, say, horrible 1.4 efficiency shields... and the fortress shield as a system.  Don't know how well the AI would use that, but it'd at least amuse me.
[close]
Hey thanks for that Wyvern, some great feedback! The EMP / AI comment is extremely valid.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: July 19, 2013, 01:17:25 PM »

I am currently gathering up supplies to start construction...

You know how boring those days at the office get.

Nothing can suppress our inner fleet commander. Nothing can stop us from creating warships out of...

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

...office supplies.  8)

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #1886 on: July 19, 2013, 01:28:06 PM »

Nice. Now if you had duct tape among those supplies you could create capital ships as well!

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: July 19, 2013, 02:30:49 PM »

Here we can see a typical Office Destroyer.

Spoiler

1.) Gas operated Pencil Stump launcher tubes

2.) ink-injection Thumbtack Torpedo pen

3.) Powerful Eraser turret

The ship is steam-powered, of course, by burning pencil chips.
[close]

Updated spoiler.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:18:22 PM by Erick Doe »

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: July 19, 2013, 03:34:33 PM »

Ahh, a fine craft run by only the most elite of bureaucrats.

Besides that fact, I love your intuition on ship structures. It is easy to the eye and cool at the same time! Good luck on the rest, if you're making it a mod collection.  ;D

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #1889 on: July 21, 2013, 04:01:25 PM »

Original art also created by Kalthaniell (as with my other 2 mods).
Spoiler
[close]
Polished, sharpened and ready to go. (Apart from turret mounts.)

So far the Bushi ships were rated an averaged 'meh'. I wonder, are these better liked?

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 482