Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: can pd be made to target balistics?  (Read 5515 times)

mprhead5

• Ensign
    • View Profile
can pd be made to target balistics?
« on: September 04, 2012, 06:21:57 AM »

trying to get an idea on how to have shot based weapons that can be targeted by pd. Im thinking of the intercepters from babylon 5. With a long burst time 2 ships could duke it out for a while with intercepters shooting down most shots until they run hot hand have to recharge. Maybe making the shots actually unguided missles would be easier. It might also be hard for pd to target incoming shots. You could make the pd slightly guided but that would look bad if it missed and looped  back.

Anyone experimented with anything like this?

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: can pd be made to target balistics?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 06:44:58 AM »

Short answer, no, the engine would have to be changed to allow it; for now you can make "rockets" that don't have Engines :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 08:02:46 AM »

While you cannot change PD to target ballistics, you can change ballistics to be targeted by PD. What I mean by that is, you can effectively have a ballistic weapons fire 'missiles'. The Photon Cannon from Neutrino Corp is a good example of this.

mprhead5

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 11:05:47 PM »

making a pd projectile that tracks good enough and is accurate enough to destroy incoming fire is also a challange. the incoming fire needs to be slowed enough to allow PD to target it. this is a good thing though because it means that fire will be capital ship focused and frigates and destroyers may be able to out manuver the heaviest of fire. I would like the PD to act like a shield and beable to destroy 75% of incoming heavy fire for a set amount of time until its burst damage was spent. this would simpuate the intercepters running hot and losing efficency

mprhead5

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 03:37:09 AM »

ive got the basics of the interceptor but what exactly do i need to do to the weapon it is targeting. I need to make the shots targetable by the PD. what do you need to do to do that. My main weapon is a modified heavy blaster. what do i need to do to it to make pd target it

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 03:30:52 PM »

prob, something like this,

in .weapon file:

{
   "id":"moddedblaster",  # this id must match what's in the spreadsheet
   "specClass":"projectile",
   "type":"ENERGY",
   "size":"MEDIUM",

"projectileSpecId":"interceptible_shot",
   "fireSoundTwo":"pewpewsounds",
}

in .proj file:

{
   "id":"interceptible_shot",
   "specClass":"missile",   
   "missileType":"MISSILE",

look into a missile to look for the configuration you want,

but it's mostly changing the original blaster shot into a 'missile'

Blaster:

Code
	"specClass":"projectile",
"spawnType":"BALLISTIC_AS_BEAM",
"collisionClass":"RAY",
"collisionClassByFighter":"RAY_FIGHTER",

Interceptable

Code
	"id":"...",
"specClass":"missile",
"missileType":"MISSILE",
"sprite":"...",

"size":[10,21],
"center":[6,14],
"collisionRadius":16,
"collisionClass":"MISSILE_NO_FF",

"explosionColor":[123,123,123,123],  # purely visual, will get a white additively blended core on top of this color
"explosionRadius":100, # purely visual
"maxFlightTime":1.6,
"engineSpec":{"turnAcc":0,
 "turnRate":0,
 "maxSpeed":1000,
 "acc":0,
 "dec":0},
Note, the game seems to have a limitation on the speed of certain objects ( missiles and ships ) (600 m/s max)

This means you won't be able to have a projectile that'll move as fast as an original heavy blaster shot ( 1000 m/s)

mprhead5

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 03:48:11 PM »

Hmm 600 is a bit slow. I will have to test it and see. Thanks for the info. At least it will make it targetable by the pd a little better

mprhead5

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 12:42:22 AM »

hmm ok its working but there are a couple problems. the shots are pretty slow and thus even larger ships on the move are hard to hit. secondly the PD is not shooting them down as well as i would like.

I know I can alter either the PD or main weapon shots so that they have a larger collision area. what should I change for this? will changing the collision radius on the missle make it easier or harder to shoot down?

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 08:40:58 AM »

K, i'm just a little confused,

Your'e making two weapons am I correct?

One's a point defence weapon?

another is a main weapon with shots that can be targeted by point defense?

If you want to make your main weapon more easily destroyed, increase this:

"collisionRadius":**,

as an alternative, in the weapon_data.csv decrease the projectile hitpoints to make it take less to destroy.

If you want the PD weapon to be more effective, look into the flak shell projectiles for the Proximity fuse code to enhance your weapons damage dealing/chances of hitting.

EDIT: just read your babylon thread, here's an idea, depending on your pd ( if it isn't a laser )
You can increase the projectiles HP but lower the damage, depending on how you work that out, you can make one shot nullify an entire missile, but still do little damage to fighters, but if it has too little hp, it'll revert back to having to need damage, YMMV.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 09:17:05 AM by FlashFrozen »

mprhead5

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 05:56:19 PM »

yes I am in the process. i will look in to he flak to see how it is. I want the PD to be effective but not have to be a constant stream of fire because that looks wrong for the mod. each pd shot should take out one incoming bullet at least 60% of the time.

I still have to deal with the main guns bullet speeds. they are close but too slow right now unless I edit the manuverability of cap ships to be slower perhaps.

mprhead5

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 03:46:12 AM »

ok so i got it to work by increasing the actual size of the bullet. the collision radius dosn't make a differance it seems. so now I have PD shots that if the PD guns are aligned correctly will shoot down 90%+ of the incoming fire. the trouble is that other non PD fire can destroy these shots as well so you end up with mutual destruction all the time if your facing off against an enemy ship with equal weaponry.  the end effect is not what I really want. only beam weapons cut through the mutual destruction. positioning is important so you can flank around a big ship to get the shots through the PD but the shots travel slow at 600 and they really need to be faster wich isn't possible because of the missle limitations.

I may have to abandon this whole idea since the limitations missle travel speed and the crowded firing lane make the system not work as i would like.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 08:47:29 AM »

You don't necessarily HAVE to use a missile projectile for your pd weapon, unless your making specifically a point defence missile you can use regular ballistics if what i'm gathering,

but if you want it to be interceptable, then you HAVE to use a missile ( for the interceptible main weapon )

mprhead5

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 06:21:32 AM »

Yup i have writen off the idea. Ive still got one ship using the main weapon and it is somwhat cool but not as a mainstay weapon.