Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 65

Author Topic: The Typo Thread  (Read 241639 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The Typo Thread
« Reply #255 on: April 17, 2016, 06:50:42 AM »

Sorry, my first reply was a bit perfunctory: I don't think you're wrong, but in the broader context I don't think you're right either. Saying "a" right after "at large" doesn't flow comfortably, and videogames don't adhere to "proper" English anyways, so using "to be" is better than not.

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 17, 2016, 09:30:11 PM »

Sorry, my first reply was a bit perfunctory: I don't think you're wrong, but in the broader context I don't think you're right either.
I think that goduranus is wrong; I am not aware of any hard rule of English grammar which is broken by the construction "considered to be." The "to be" is not strictly necessary, but superfluous is not the same as incorrect.

neba

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 18, 2016, 07:31:06 AM »

The last sentence in a mission's description that says "$NAME is is working for ..." or "$NAME is is affiliated with ..." has the word "is" twice.

(v 0.7.2a-RC3)

neba

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 18, 2016, 08:33:33 AM »

Also, there are inconsistencies with the capitalization of item names. Item names in the game are capitalized when used in titles/lists/etc. and have strict lower case when they occur in a sentence (even the volturnian lobster, although it should always have an upper case 'V'), but the lists under Missions and Important in the Intel screen are in lower case.

(v 0.7.2a-RC3)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #259 on: April 23, 2016, 12:12:41 AM »

Pirate Buffalo has (D) in its name and says "poorly maintained" in its description despite actually having no (D)efect hullmods.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #260 on: April 24, 2016, 02:50:22 AM »

The L4 and L5 asteroids in Corvus and Valhalla are such that L4 is behind the system's gas giant in their shared orbit and L5 is ahead. If I'm understanding this right, it should be the other way round.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 24, 2016, 03:48:39 PM »

The L4 and L5 asteroids in Corvus and Valhalla are such that L4 is behind the system's gas giant in their shared orbit and L5 is ahead. If I'm understanding this right, it should be the other way round.

How embarrassing, fixed.

Pirate Buffalo has (D) in its name and says "poorly maintained" in its description despite actually having no (D)efect hullmods.

It does now!

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 24, 2016, 03:50:26 PM »

It does now!

You monster! (Banter in bugs forum; I know, sorry, couldn't resist :-*)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #263 on: June 17, 2016, 07:39:44 PM »

Found by Dark.Revenant: In line 670 of person_names.csv, the name Dickerson has the group "modern.2". We speculate that this causes an error making the name appearing in all name groups, leading to the memetic overpopulation of Dickersons in the game.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #264 on: July 18, 2016, 06:15:22 AM »

Non-text inconsistency: Some relays (Corvus, Askonia, Aztlan, Hybrasil, Valhalla) orbit pointing down towards their primary, while others (Arcadia, Duzahk, Eos, Magec, Samarra, Yma) don't.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 19, 2016, 09:26:58 PM »

Non-text inconsistency: Some relays (Corvus, Askonia, Aztlan, Hybrasil, Valhalla) orbit pointing down towards their primary, while others (Arcadia, Duzahk, Eos, Magec, Samarra, Yma) don't.

The station-keeping software used on a number of hyperspace relays throughout the Sector has been patched. TriTachyon Corporation end-user agreements preclude any responsibility on behalf of the TriTachyon Corporation; further, the user agrees to assume all risk in matters pertaining to the effects of uncontrollable natural forces or other unspecified spatial anomalies (as defined in addendum E).

Found by Dark.Revenant: In line 670 of person_names.csv, the name Dickerson has the group "modern.2". We speculate that this causes an error making the name appearing in all name groups, leading to the memetic overpopulation of Dickersons in the game.

Well, there was that incident with an illegal cloning operation bankrolled by an eccentric volatiles magnate by the name of Dickerson some cycles ago, though it was thought nothing had come of it ...

(And hah, yes, fixed!)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 23, 2016, 02:50:05 PM »

Hegemony Commission in the Intel screen.

When referring to the pirates faction there are a few grammar errors due to incorrect usage of singular/plural forms.
It also appears to be using "entityNamePrefix" rather than "displayNameWithArticle" for describing the faction whose status has changed due to the commission.

Errors underlined in red:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54785909/starfarer/0.7.2a%20RC3/screenshot075.png
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 02:53:42 PM by TJJ »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 30, 2016, 06:27:01 PM »

flarelauncher,SHIP_SYSTEM,Launches flares that distract the guidance systems of incoming missiles and PD weapons. Any missile hitting a flare will be destroyed.,Defensive,Launches flares to confuse the guidance systems of nearby enemy missiles.,

flarelauncher_active,SHIP_SYSTEM,Launches flares that distract the guidance systems of incoming missiles and PD weapons. The flares also track missiles and any missile impacting a flare will be destroyed.,Defensive,Launches flares to confuse the guidance systems of nearby enemy missiles. The flares are fast and actively track the missiles.,

Is incorrect, due to a recent change to how damage is calculated for missile to missile impacts. A missile hitting a flare is no longer a guaranteed kill.

maneuveringjets,SHIP_SYSTEM,Engages extra thrusters to greatly improve the ship's maneuverability at the expense of some flux. Also provides a boost to the ship's top speed.,Movement,Provides a brief boost to maneuverability and top speed.,

Is incorrect, this system costs no flux to use.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:29:09 PM by MesoTroniK »

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 06, 2016, 09:25:34 AM »

'An' should be 'A'. (only use 'An' when the proceeding word begins with a vowel sound; e.g. An iceberg; An hour; A house)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 09:35:09 AM by TJJ »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #269 on: September 09, 2016, 08:13:07 AM »

"An noy"

Another typo of sorts: Barad B is size 2 in data/campaign/econ/corvus.json, but has the population_3 market condition.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 65