Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 65

Author Topic: The Typo Thread  (Read 242670 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: The Typo Thread
« Reply #180 on: November 20, 2015, 04:52:05 AM »

In the third paragraph of the description for Hornet's Nest, Callisto Ibrahim's name is spelled "Calliso".

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 20, 2015, 05:36:08 AM »

The mission Nothing Personal references events that happened before in the mission "Sinking the Bismar", but according to the dates the Bismar wasn't sunk until two cycles after "Nothing Personal".

Also, may I suggest, David, to generally cut down on the length of your sentences a bit? You have some of what we in Germany would call "tapeworm sentences" that could really be split into two or three to enhance readability. The second paragraph in the Nothing Personal" mission is an example, if you want I can point out more as I come across them (again).
(Uh, just to be clear here, I adorethe new lore texts and think they style works much better than what we had before. Especially all the juicy specifics about Sector politics and history, and that many details and settings are recognizable and relatable now. That's just a minor nitpick.)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 06:00:02 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Karlito

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 20, 2015, 11:19:12 AM »

The mission description in A Fistful of Credits the name of your opponent is Moon, but down in the order of battle text, her name is Mary.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 20, 2015, 12:19:33 PM »

The Safety Overrides hullmod says it "reduces the peak performance time by a factor of 0.33". That seems as it could just as well mean 33% reduction, while it is really reduced by 66%.

e/ The "Special Ops" perk still reads as if you could use crew for boarding actions.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 01:06:16 PM by Gothars »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2015, 03:48:47 PM »

When I installed a comm sniffer on a pirate comm relay (Druj), it said "the pirates is not going to be happy".

Fixed.

Not a typo per se but I don't know where to put it otherwise: Eventide is said "Tidally locked" but with days lasting one year long. That's not how it work, not for a planet at least (moons are different) A tidally locked planet will always show the same face to it's star, thus it's burning hot on one side and deadly cold on the other with an eternal twilight on the 90th-270th meridians. The whole point of a tidally locked object is that it had no "days" from its parent's point of view.

In the case of a moon however, orbiting a planet means it does indeed have days that last as long as it's orbit, because it's not locked to the star.

Now as far as I know, nothing prevent having a planet that has the same period of rotation and orbit. As a matter of fact every tidally locked object must have gone through a period like that before getting actually "locked".

Well, it could theoretically be in the final stages of becoming fully tidally locked, right? It's not quite there yet. Perhaps some titanic accident nudged it out of alignment in the distant (but not *too* distant) past.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 20, 2015, 03:58:44 PM »

Not a typo per se but I don't know where to put it otherwise: Eventide is said "Tidally locked" but with days lasting one year long. That's not how it work, not for a planet at least (moons are different) A tidally locked planet will always show the same face to it's star, thus it's burning hot on one side and deadly cold on the other with an eternal twilight on the 90th-270th meridians. The whole point of a tidally locked object is that it had no "days" from its parent's point of view.

In the case of a moon however, orbiting a planet means it does indeed have days that last as long as it's orbit, because it's not locked to the star.

Now as far as I know, nothing prevent having a planet that has the same period of rotation and orbit. As a matter of fact every tidally locked object must have gone through a period like that before getting actually "locked".

Well, it could theoretically be in the final stages of becoming fully tidally locked, right? It's not quite there yet. Perhaps some titanic accident nudged it out of alignment in the distant (but not *too* distant) past.

I think that description is just missing the word "almost".

The mission Nothing Personal references events that happened before in the mission "Sinking the Bismar", but according to the dates the Bismar wasn't sunk until two cycles after "Nothing Personal".

Also, may I suggest, David, to generally cut down on the length of your sentences a bit? You have some of what we in Germany would call "tapeworm sentences" that could really be split into two or three to enhance readability. The second paragraph in the Nothing Personal" mission is an example, if you want I can point out more as I come across them (again).
(Uh, just to be clear here, I adorethe new lore texts and think they style works much better than what we had before. Especially all the juicy specifics about Sector politics and history, and that many details and settings are recognizable and relatable now. That's just a minor nitpick.)

Someone clearly got ahold of a time machine! Which is a technology forbidden by Domain legal tradition, of course, and is also an abomination in the eyes of the Luddic Church. Something must be done!

Haha, yeah, I like writing run-on sentences. (& I do enjoy hearing about what Germans call them!) -- there's some UI stuff in missions that will help with the overall length, and for that in particular I should indeed edit in some breathing room.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 20, 2015, 05:26:01 PM »

High Resolution Sensors hullmod description:

Increases the sensor strength by %s percent for frigates, %s percent for detroyers, and %s percent for cruisers and capital ships.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 20, 2015, 05:37:14 PM »

Fixed!

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 20, 2015, 08:20:08 PM »

In the description referred to here: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8558.msg168946#msg168946

It says unrependent where I think it means unrepentant. I don't think unrependent is even a word.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 20, 2015, 08:27:58 PM »

Fixed.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #190 on: November 20, 2015, 09:10:58 PM »

High Maintenance tooltip says it increases monthly supply use by 200% (i.e. triple), but it actually only doubles it.
Needs a -100:
Code: java
public String getDescriptionParam(int index, HullSize hullSize) {
if (index == 0) return "" + (int)(SUPPLY_USE_MULT * 100f);
return null;
}

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 20, 2015, 09:21:35 PM »

In a similar vein to this, the Dire Straits mission appears to be the engagement which breaks the siege of Ratatosk, if I'm reading the description correctly. The carrier leading the Tri-Tachyon containment force is, as far as I know, always listed as the TTS Ephemeral, but this cannot be if my interpretation of what's going on in Dire Straits and the mission description for Predator or Prey are both correct as the TTS Ephemeral is not supposed to have been in Valhalla at the time that the blockade was broken (it was, according to Predator or Prey, en route from Ogma to reinforce the blockade force and reverses course when it receives word of the defeat according to Predator or Prey's description).

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 20, 2015, 09:27:25 PM »

In a similar vein to this, the Dire Straits mission appears to be the engagement which breaks the siege of Ratatosk, if I'm reading the description correctly. The carrier leading the Tri-Tachyon containment force is, as far as I know, always listed as the TTS Ephemeral, but this cannot be if my interpretation of what's going on in Dire Straits and the mission description for Predator or Prey are both correct as the TTS Ephemeral is not supposed to have been in Valhalla at the time that the blockade was broken (it was, according to Predator or Prey, en route from Ogma to reinforce the blockade force and reverses course when it receives word of the defeat according to Predator or Prey's description).

(Fixed timeline madness.)

And ooh, looks like there's a bit of continuity from pre-revision missions that I need to pave. Fixed!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 20, 2015, 09:55:50 PM »

High Maintenance tooltip says it increases monthly supply use by 200% (i.e. triple), but it actually only doubles it.
Needs a -100:
Code: java
public String getDescriptionParam(int index, HullSize hullSize) {
if (index == 0) return "" + (int)(SUPPLY_USE_MULT * 100f);
return null;
}

Thanks - fixed!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 21, 2015, 04:43:45 AM »

The Luddic path description has two short dashes, instead of one long dash. Also there are three "can" in the third-to-last sentence, one too many.

Same thing in the Dire Straits description, end of the third paragraph.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 65