Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why I love the Venture  (Read 10904 times)

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
Why I love the Venture
« on: August 30, 2012, 10:27:03 AM »

IMO, this ship is the most cost-efficient ship in the game
It has excellent PD, with either 2 flak cannons or a burst
It has 2 med and small missiles, which can be filled with several roles each
It is a very tough cruiser with the armor plating mod, around 1400 armor
It has a flight deck
It has a very large cargo capacity, for all the supplies eaten up by repairing fighters
It has a fairly large hanger

Anyone else find this ship to be a staple among their low-tech fleets?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Why I love the Venture
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 10:28:37 AM »

Yup, next to a capital ship, it's the only other ship that couls stand a chance against my Enforcer.  I respect it, and sometimes, it's the flagship of my fleet. :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 10:30:28 AM »

What a coincidence this is. This ship is the next on my Setup Showcase series. Great ship indeed.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 10:34:50 AM »

I'd actually say it's borderline OP as it stands in the campaign right now. Cruiser armed with a pack of 2 med missiles, 2 small missiles, 2 med ballistic and a med energy, plus ~1000 armor. It can match a Capital, and with proper player control, kill a capital without too much trouble.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 10:39:48 AM »

I'd actually say it's borderline OP as it stands in the campaign right now. Cruiser armed with a pack of 2 med missiles, 2 small missiles, 2 med ballistic and a med energy, plus ~1000 armor. It can match a Capital, and with proper player control, kill a capital without too much trouble.

Well everything is OP in the players hand. Alot of things can beat the Venture. Though it might have to many missile slots. Maybe 4 small instead would be better.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 11:03:09 AM »

I think its a really excellent ship! In my experience it will lose a straight up fight against any cruiser (AI on AI) but its so tough that it will take a while doing so. I use it as a carrier for my midline fleet and am very happy.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 12:58:09 PM »

What a coincidence this is. This ship is the next on my Setup Showcase series. Great ship indeed.
;D
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 01:10:03 PM »

;D

Now that I have played with it abit, I do notice that there is a very limited amount of things you can do. And its not a good 1v1 ship at all. But it does pretty good with support.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »

The Dominator has 9 small ballistics, 3 medium missiles, two large ballistics, and two medium ballistics. It also has burn drive and is easier to move than a Venture.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 02:41:44 PM »

It's definitely not OP in a combat situation, but as an all-around fleet support ship maybe

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 04:43:47 PM »

I wouldn't say it's OP, really. Just a very versatile craft. It can hold its own in combat and can act as a capable carrier, but there are ships that do much better at those things than it. I find it's kind of the "next up" from the Hammerhead in the "Standard Flagship Hierarchy" on a jack of all trades tree.

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 06:02:08 PM »

I'd Say Gemini > Hammerhead personally, but I prefer running a fighter based game most of the time, so the venture is right in line with that.
Edit: not to say a hammerhead is less powerful than a gemini, but a gemini supporting fighters can certainly outclass a single destroyer, this is assuming that you rush some fighters and a gemini immediately after your first frig I guess...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 06:03:49 PM by Wriath »

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 07:18:03 PM »

well... the comparison would be if a Gemini with fighters can beat a hammerhead with the same fighters

the result would definitely depend on how many fighters there are

not a big fighter fan so I'm all for hammerhead
mmm.... tartiflette

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 07:43:03 PM »

The Venture gets even nastier if you give up on the flak screen for hypervelocity drivers or heavy maulers.

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 04:05:56 AM »

Especially since most medium energy weapons aren't that great(IMO)
Pages: [1] 2