Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MultiShield / Flicker Shield  (Read 4484 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
MultiShield / Flicker Shield
« on: August 30, 2012, 08:35:21 AM »

MultiShield would allow more than one shield to be mounted on a Hull.  If ships have > 1 shields, additional shields act like PD and rotate to block incoming damage. 

Would be a really cool tool for doing simulations of certain kinds of sci-fi ships and boss-like characters with multiple shields to knock down.

Flicker Shields would operate like PD; they'd be a very rapid, automated response to incoming damage, but with a limited lifetime and a cooldown. 

Difference between them and PD is that they'd be able to respond to beam strikes.  Plus side vs. traditional shields is that Flux costs would be negligible; minus side is that rapid-fire weapons would get some strikes through during cooldown cycles.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: MultiShield / Flicker Shield
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 10:32:18 AM »

Would flicker shields absorb flux?

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 10:53:50 AM »

MultiShield would allow more than one shield to be mounted on a Hull.  If ships have > 1 shields, additional shields act like PD and rotate to block incoming damage.
If the ship had multiple shields, wouldn't they all just go down at once the outermost one overloaded?
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »

Would flicker shields absorb flux?
Well, I'd presume they'd follow the same rules in the CSV as the base shield, they'd just rotate and deploy a lot faster than usual, and their cooldown would mean less total Flux and greater dissipation of hard Flux under most circumstances, but leave the ship vulnerable when they're all in cooldown.  

Think of them as a layered defense that can automatically provide protection, at the cost having a limited duration, but having the benefits and perils of automated threat response and better overall Flux management.  Kind of like Accelerated Shields but with some additional penalties and benefits.  They'd be pretty awesome vs. isolated strike or burst attacks but really lousy vs. sustained fire.  So, vs. missiles or fighter flyby, they'd be really useful... against that Cruiser with a bunch of Tac Lasers... not so much.

If the ship had multiple shields, wouldn't they all just go down at once the outermost one overloaded?
Sure, they'd have to follow the rules for Overload.  But, due to their limited duration (I'm envisioning them with 1 second or less) that's much less of a problem, because during their cooldowns they're not "up" and hard Flux can be lost.
Xeno's Mod Pack

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 01:03:28 PM »

Sure, they'd have to follow the rules for Overload.  But, due to their limited duration (I'm envisioning them with 1 second or less) that's much less of a problem, because during their cooldowns they're not "up" and hard Flux can be lost.
Sorry, I'm still having a hard time understanding this (hullmod/system/replacement for 'normal' shield). O.o
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 02:09:46 PM »

I like the flickershield idea, it's kind of a "Oh *** there's a torpedo coming at my engines" remedy.

Multishields would be nice for some of the more oddly shaped ships that don't need shields 500m in front of them

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 02:23:15 PM »

Exactly; glad somebody gets why this might be useful and interesting :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 03:20:43 PM »

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 08:05:43 PM »

More or less, yeah; glad to see there are more people thinking about this stuff, wish that Alex had time to move the A.I. stuff out to public Java so that we could write the necessary code and prototype it, since that's the biggest hurdle, I'd imagine.
Xeno's Mod Pack

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 05:59:27 PM »

I can jury rig a 2 shield ship, sorta, but the mechanics aren't perfect. But It can be done, given enough ingenuity.

Try out the Colossus from my mod and add a frontal shield generator to see how 2 shields can be like (if not sorta broken) :P