Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: More Forum Ranks  (Read 10917 times)

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
Re: More Forum Ranks
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 01:08:01 PM »

*rolls around in giant pile of diamonds laughing maniacally*
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 03:05:49 PM »

Alas, I have neither diamonds, nor private army. In fact, I've not even got a decent rank. Must...buff...post count.... must...enlarge...e-peen!

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 03:10:28 PM »

Alas, I have neither diamonds, nor private army. In fact, I've not even got a decent rank. Must...buff...post count.... must...enlarge...e-peen!

Just make sure not to spam unnecessary content :)

OT: I think more ranks are not necessary, but a larger gap between them would be cool. Admiral at 1k or 2k or something.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2012, 03:18:55 PM »

OT: I think more ranks are not necessary, but a larger gap between them would be cool. Admiral at 1k or 2k or something.
Yes, even better :)! Alex, make it so! ;)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 09:45:13 AM »

Ensign: 0 posts
Lieutenant: 25 posts
Commander: 100 posts
Captain: 250 posts
Admiral: 500 posts

Seems a little to short of a gap, i mean i joined this forum..what less then a month ago? and im almost captain and i have an average post number of like 3-5 posts per day.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 09:48:00 AM by ValkyriaL »

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 10:14:52 AM »

Well, ranks for me have totally no meaning. But i wouldn't know.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 11:03:36 AM »

Think 4355+ posts says a word or 2 about *i wouldn't know*, But sure lets ignore that "Admiral" tag on your name :P no shiny private army for you!

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 04:52:27 PM »

Or no ranks at all, to prevent people from spamming posts just to get a higher forum ranking.  8)
Who does that? That's just stupid

Agreed that it's pointless and stupid, but it's also more common that you think.

Moderator note: agreed in full.

That would be nice. It would help defuse the [pokemon]gotta get 'em all![/pokemon] mentality, too. ;D

Ensign: 0 posts
Lieutenant: 25 posts
Commander: 100 posts
Captain: 250 posts
Admiral: 500 posts

Seems a little to short of a gap, i mean i joined this forum..what less then a month ago? and im almost captain and i have an average post number of like 3-5 posts per day.

Well stated, ValkyriaL. Personally, I don't think too highly of forum ranks or total post count -- fun bits of fluff, but nothing more -- user reputation is much more helpful when deciding who to put your credence into.

Ranks also can become a problem when combined with the kind of people who are so attention-hungry or ego-driven that it gets used as a perceived easy road to respectability. While many folks pay little or no attention to such stats, some of those that do (wrongly) take it seriously can be a potential problem.

Even more useful than unofficial user reputation (which can only be gleaned accurately through somewhat long-term observation on a forum) is publicly-displayed "karma" which can be upvoted by other members. That separates the wheat from the chaff right quick...

What I'm referring to is a part of one's profile in each post you make that includes a number which abstracts the approx. percentage of a person's posts which are helpful to the community as a whole. Some websites I've stumbled upon over the years use such a system and I applaud it. It doesn't have to replace the total post count stat; but even as a supplement to it, this sort of thing would be beneficial to the forum experience. Only psionic powers would be more helpful than this, but I don't see that being feasible anytime soon. ;) Until then, I guess we'll all just muddle though as best as we can.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 04:59:24 PM by Archduke Astro »
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 04:56:18 PM »

I think the ranking system on another forum I go on works rather well. Instead of by post, it's by time logged in. Since time rather than how vocal you are is more of an indicator of how experienced you are with the way the forum goes. Plus it stops people spamming the place up going "5 moar posts until gud rank!" or the likes.

...wonderful, I've begun soapboxing again

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 05:00:27 PM »

No, you're not soapboxing at all. :) Please continue.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 05:05:08 PM »

Since time rather than how vocal you are is more of an indicator of how experienced you are with the way the forum goes.

In general, I strongly agree with you. However, the "time" stat does not provide a airtight defense against being fooled by people with waaaaay more free time than good sense, though. But in conjunction with upvotable karma and comparison with a sampling of a given member's posts, it can help one decide for oneself if that person is an asset to that website or not.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 05:13:24 PM »

Could have the comment system Youtube has, "flag this comment" or hide the comment because it provides no help whatsoever. or perhaps we already have that ??? and have thumbs up/down for comments that are good/bad.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2012, 05:19:53 PM »

Since time rather than how vocal you are is more of an indicator of how experienced you are with the way the forum goes.

In general, I strongly agree with you. However, the "time" stat does not provide a airtight defense against being fooled by people with waaaaay more free time than good sense, though. But in conjunction with upvotable karma and comparison with a sampling of a given member's posts, it can help one decide for oneself if that person is an asset to that website or not.

I can't say I'm too keen on the karma system, mostly due to bad experiences with forums using it. They tend to cultivate an atmosphere of "karma-seekers" (or insert other, less flattering word there ;)), so to speak. Then again, no system is perfect, and there's nothing against combining the upvoting with time-spent

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2012, 05:33:02 PM »

Personally, I think everything would be fine with no ranks or karma, with everyone labeled equally except moderators and admins.

I mean, I frequent the Bay12 forum, which has no more than 'Escaped Lunatic' for users with less than 5 posts, and 'Bay Watcher' for everyone else. There's also no karma. I haven't really seen any complaints, and the Bay12 forum has ~24 times as many users.

But whatever floats everyone's boat.

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 06:23:50 PM »

I kinda like the way that the ranking system is laid out. It lets us know who is less experienced or newer to the forums more quickly and easily. By the time a person has five stars, we can pretty well gauge what kind of a person they are, so the stars become pretty irrelevant. I do think that people with one and maybe even two stars do require more patience and attention so that we can encourage them to become more active in the forums. Any more ranks I think are pandering to vanity. The guys with five stars should be pretty dedicated and active members and the rankings shouldn't matter to them anymore. Look at Upgradecap. He's got the most posts on the forums, even more than Alex and Archduke, and yet he wasn't the one who brought up the topic. A good example by my standards.
Pages: 1 [2] 3