Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: paragon loadouts  (Read 10935 times)

Kix

• Ensign
  • i will become god
    • View Profile
paragon loadouts
« on: August 22, 2012, 11:29:12 PM »

so after i discovered that you could even refit your ships for the missions, i had some fun coming up with a few loadouts and i thought i'd share them...

Dreadnought- to go head to head with another ship
Spoiler
[close]

Marauder- to stand alone against many weaker and more mobile ships.
Spoiler
[close]

Vanquisher- long range support
Spoiler
[close]

with full damage i was able to beat a standard onslaught 1v1 with the marauder and dreadnought with no hull damage. (while i was able to beat a std onslaught with some hull dmg with the stock elite variant). vanquisher was able to take down about 25-30% of onslaught hull before going down, tho its worth noting that i didnt load the vanquisher to go against a onslaught head to head. sabots in place of the swarmers could have potentially made the vanquisher a closer match.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: paragon loadouts
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 11:33:14 PM »

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=2762.0

OT: I never use the tach lances on anything anymore, after the nerf they are pretty damn useless. Id rather use the HIL for long range.

nohintofsarcasm

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 01:39:21 PM »

To be perfectly honest I don't think any of those loadouts are any good.
My advice:

1) You mix soft flux and hard flux weapons indiscriminately - focus on one or the other is much preferable.

2) Your flux costs are off the charts, try using less Heavy Blasters.

3) Way too much backwards facing firepower, especially for the dedicated forward facing variant.

4) The missiles - do you really get anything out of them? I'm especially curious about the swarmers, what are they supposed to do? The only missiles I've had success with are annihilator rockets (using them as a wall to counter incoming projectiles). I usually leave them empty but its a playstyle preference more than anything.

5) Resistant Flux Conduit, use it.

6) The Marauder variant is better off with weapons in its large energy mounts - you have access to weapons with higher flux efficiency than what you are using in your medium slots.

7) Don't be afraid to undermount or even leave some slots empty. Do this on the mounts you use the least.

8) Point defenses are not that important on a Paragon, you have an amazing shield - use it. That said most PD weapons are pretty good by themselves.

Well I suppose your variants are slightly better then the default Elite one but there are lots of room for improvement.

On a sidenote: not taking hull damage in a Paragon vs Onslaught fight really isn't that impressive. I usually go for zero armor damage and more often then not I succeed (player controlled ship that is).

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 01:45:59 PM »

Well the soft flux weapons are for support, and having a few is generally worth it. Having a mix is good here, but hard flux should be the majority.

I agree on the small missile mounts, they are generally useless, when the Paragon can field that much firepower.

I usually stay away from the med energy mounts in the back, as they are not used much. I just plop a few burst pd there.

Conduits is usually a must.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 02:00:21 PM »

Well I messed around abit and found a build that works against most ships.

Spoiler
[close]

The Maulers REALLY helps against ships with heavy armor (Such as the Onslaught), and the reapers provide 16000 of finishing damage for just a total of 8 OP. Im also using tac lasers and burst pd to fend of any fighters.

This build will crush just about any ship in the game.

(You can remove Aux Thrust if you dont want it, but i find the extra maneuverability really useful.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:28:08 PM by Faiter119 »

nohintofsarcasm

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 03:43:57 PM »

This one is my favorite.
Spoiler
[close]
Flux consumption is high but controllable, knowing when not to fire your main weapons is key. Dual Plasma Cannons do 750x6 energy damage in one volley - even the heaviest armor melts away quickly. Its certainly not an ideal in every situation type of variant but its not bad and it fits my playstyle very well.

And yes, you could add a useless harpoon/sabot with the remaining 1 OP.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 03:50:06 PM »

I would consider Stabilized Shields to be a standard fitting on the Paragon, given that it saves you 375 flux for 15 OP and you will have your shields up in almost all combat situations.

This goes double for Resistant Flux Conduits, which are currently venting more per OP than vents in addition to the EMP protection.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:53:45 PM by Voyager I »

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 04:32:32 PM »

try a all burst PD lasers and autopules on the large mounts and expanded mags, it kills things...

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 04:50:20 PM »

This thread should be helpful. I'm about to buy my first Paragon in the campaign map (when the goddamn tri-tach bring one in), and I was going to load it out in the same style as all my other ships. I have something else to consider now.

Kix

• Ensign
  • i will become god
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 05:05:26 PM »

sabots have actually been alot of help to me taking down some tougher shields. i havent really played the paragon outside of forlorn hope, so its pretty much based on experience around that. its too hard to get the same arsenal of weapons in campaign atm.

i strongly disagree that the marauder should have weapons in its large hardpoints. outside of the tach lance and maby the HIL, it would be too hard to hit anything smaller than a cruiser with any weapon placed in it, so i just left it empty and slammed it into other things.

i found the pd turrets to be decently helpful. despite the goodness of the paragon's shield it doessent get activated in an instant, so i may be quick enough to block a barrage from one side but i may not be able to turn it around in time to block the opposite side (even by deactivating it and re-activating it on the other side). i suppose this woulnt normally happen if it was the campaign, but i'd probably end up fielding a single paragon for the thrill.

someone care to explain in detail soft/hard flux? i know hard flux gets generated by taking hits with your shield and cannot vent while your shield is up. but i thought all weapons gave soft flux?

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 05:12:53 PM »

indeed, firing non-missile weapons only generates soft flux.

also, beam weapons hitting shields doesn't generate hard flux, just soft.

Kix

• Ensign
  • i will become god
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 06:15:34 PM »

This one is my favorite.
Spoiler
[close]
Flux consumption is high but controllable, knowing when not to fire your main weapons is key. Dual Plasma Cannons do 750x6 energy damage in one volley - even the heaviest armor melts away quickly. Its certainly not an ideal in every situation type of variant but its not bad and it fits my playstyle very well.

And yes, you could add a useless harpoon/sabot with the remaining 1 OP.

went into simulation with this variant, beat a onslaught without breaking a sweat. flux consumption was too low (good thing, lol) for my likings.

Spoiler
[close]
(coulnt resist the 0 next to the shield upkeep and since im fitting it to slug it against a single other ship why not)
my own version with more pew pew, no armor dmg against onslaught yay
admittedly it was harder (and more time consuming, maby) to kill the onslaught with this. kinda hard to see through all the pew pew with this loadout, lol.

Faiter's Elite ii wassent as impressive against the onslaught but it seemed like a more versatile model. i actually like this better since its got more pew pew, haha.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 08:16:24 PM »

someone care to explain in detail soft/hard flux? i know hard flux gets generated by taking hits with your shield and cannot vent while your shield is up. but i thought all weapons gave soft flux?

Catra pretty much covered it, but here's the long version: http://starfarer.thegamewiki.com/wiki/Flux

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 09:30:24 PM »

It would be cool to have a list of spotlight loadouts and changed every week month.
" Im looking for a fun Onslaught load out look this one has cheesy name lets see here."

VikingHaag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 06:58:59 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

I call it Pew Pew, lacks in PD against missiles.
Makes up for it in sheer firepower that can be maintaned with shields up against 3 other capital ships at once, and it chews fighters like bubble gum.

The missiles are from a mod, but can be substituted for swarmers if you so desire. Those are barricade SMR, swarmers but track missiles instead of fighters as priority.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 07:00:52 AM by VikingHaag »
Pages: [1] 2