Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Phasing and Whatnot  (Read 29224 times)

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
Phasing and Whatnot
« on: August 22, 2012, 07:38:37 PM »

Share some PC phase strategies and load outs?
Particularly for that sodding 'Doom' class….
As far as I can tell its worthless. Just about anything else is better i.e. costs less, easier to use, provides better results.
Hum. :C
What IS cool is being able to sit under the guns of any Cap for as long as you damned well please!
Very satisfying indeed.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:40:21 PM by GUNINANRUNIN »
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Phasing and Whatnot
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 08:46:13 AM »

Honestly i haven't used the phase ships much, mostly because they are generally useless. since they are so vulnerable without shields and you can't do anything while phased AND your flux is pretty much a delayed deaths sentence. 1v1 works, sure, but anything more than that is kinda useless. IMHO it all comes down to Dakka: When there is not enough Dakka means you need more Dakka.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 10:07:54 AM »

The Doom needs a new paint job.
Red ones go fastah.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

moontan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 10:35:34 AM »

Honestly i haven't used the phase ships much, mostly because they are generally useless. since they are so vulnerable without shields and you can't do anything while phased AND your flux is pretty much a delayed deaths sentence. 1v1 works, sure, but anything more than that is kinda useless. IMHO it all comes down to Dakka: When there is not enough Dakka means you need more Dakka.

you got to know how to use it.

i fly the Shade with deadly results, for the enemy.  ;)

you don't want to stray too far from your fleet, because the enemy has a high bounty on your head.

i find the best way is to use the longest range weapons available, which means Tac Lasers, with the Advanced Optics for extra range.
3 of them is all i need.

with this set-up, it can outrange a Hound or Buffalo in a 1 on 1 fight.

but the Shade is best used in a support role.
and yes, you can do things while phased; make the enemy very nervous and divert their attentions. lol

hell, i should make a video for you folks.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 10:38:15 AM by moontan »

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:38:29 AM »

I tried running a Shade for a bit, and found it a lot of fun, if ultimately disappointing (because I kept getting blown to pieces).

I would love to see a competent pilot in action, so I support this motion!

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:54:10 AM »

DOOOOO IIITTT  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 12:41:22 PM »

Don't get me wrong. Phase ships are very useful if used properly but they are, at the end of the day, a gimmick. Something nice to use in a particular situation but less effective overall. At the end of the day i stick to high-tech ships using pulse lasers and a strong investment in shields and flux efficiency.

I always get a Wolf frigate rigth  away and get enough money to swap for a tempest with double pulse. a double pulse tempest alone can kill pretty much any fleet up to cruisers or capitals. After that it's a simply matter of farming credits to get an Aurora, Eagle or Odyssey, drop a couple of fighter wings in there (thunder or xephos) and you're good to go. Get another capital and farm for the Paragon.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Mr Magpie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 02:35:41 PM »

As far as I can tell its worthless. Just about anything else is better i.e. costs less, easier to use, provides better results.

This isn't true!

I ran a simulation and found that if you replace the 4 sabot missiles with 4 light needlers you can quite easily go toe to toe with a Dominator.

Just use the needler to take down the shields and, provided you have better aim than I do, let the reaper torpedoes do the talking. Repeat this process a few times and then BOOM! Its not hard.   

DM818

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 03:52:04 PM »

This isn't true!

I ran a simulation and found that if you replace the 4 sabot missiles with 4 light needlers you can quite easily go toe to toe with a Dominator.

Just use the needler to take down the shields and, provided you have better aim than I do, let the reaper torpedoes do the talking. Repeat this process a few times and then BOOM! Its not hard.   

The dominator is a destroyer though and if I remember correctly only costs 10 fp so the doom by all rights should mop the floor with it even an enforcer only costs 15 to the doom's 20 and I very much doubt that a doom could go 1v1 with it.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 03:55:39 PM »

Dominator's a cruiser IIRC.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 03:59:51 PM »

yeah he swapped the dominator and enforcer

EDIT: And I have 1v1'd enforcers and dominators It's not THAT hard.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 04:48:39 PM »

I very much doubt that a doom could go 1v1 with it.
It can 1v1. Great. Awesome.

But can you make it pull its own weight in a fleet?
Honestly I doubt it.

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 04:54:32 PM »

They really aren't worth it. I've tried buying a few cheap-o phase ships, but they suck pretty hard, both with me in the cockpit and without. The only situation in which they seem even vaguely helpful is for getting round behind a big capital ship without 360 shields, and laying into the back of it. Unfortunately, most small ships can do this better, faster, and without being so useless in every other situation.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 06:25:56 PM »

A speed bonus while phased would be kinda fun.

DM818

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 06:05:04 AM »

Dominator's a cruiser IIRC.

Sorry for that I often get confused about the names of ships, but the point can still be made that the doom's 20 Fp are more than it should be given its effectiveness especially in large fleet battles.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6