Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Rise of Archeus" *Beta Released v1.0*  (Read 20271 times)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
"Rise of Archeus" *Beta Released v1.0*
« on: August 22, 2012, 03:01:04 PM »

The Rise of Archeus

"Rise of Archeus" has been released!

Newest Version: 1.0 *Compressed using 7zip*

http://www.mediafire.com/?vek64rkvrujrxw2

Install Instructions:

1) Download file 

2) Unzip using 7zip

3) Open directory

4) Open "mods" directory in Starfarer main directory

5) Drag "Rise of Archeus" directory into "mods" directory *

6) Run Starfarer and click "mods" on pop up window.

7) Activate Rise of Archeus

8) Enjoy!

**Note that there must only be one directory for "Rise of Archeus" - 7zip unfortunately automatically creates another directory of the same name on top of it and so you must remove it from that one so Starfarer will recognize it as a mod. To be sure, opening the "Rise of Archeus" directory should give you the "data" "graphics" and .json file not another directory of the same name. I will look into trying to do something about this in the future to avoid installation issues.**

A mod featuring 2 new factions with over 15 new ships and more than a dozen new weapons designed to fit into the balance of the vanilla Starfarer factions! While early release will feature the new ships, factions and fleets, future enhancements planned are:

1) A dense story driven single player experience that follows the tale of Archeus and his rise to power within the Corvus system. Players choose to support either Archeus and his Alliance in their goal to drive out the ruling powers of the sector, or the Hegemony and Tri-Tachyons under Lucian Corvus: the most talented scientist and CEO of the corporation. Bad blood between Archeus and Lucian stems from past betrayals and their differing vision of mankind's future.

2) Campaign missions and fleet operations based off of the current political conditions of the Corvus system.

3) Multiple A.I controlled player fleets and assets.

4) An explorable system with secrets that can unlock new technologies or dangerous enemies.

5) Ground units, planetary invasions and exploration in real time combat.

*Note planned enhancements are mostly dependent upon the flexibility of the modding options given to players and rely on future versions of Starfarer.*

Ships: Alliance

F32 Viper - Interceptor
Spoiler

[close]

F24 Vanguard - Heavy Fighter
Spoiler

[close]

Hunter - Frigate
Spoiler

[close]

Pathfinder - Carrier
Spoiler

[close]

Raptor - Cruiser
Spoiler

[close]

Executor - Battlecarrier
Spoiler

[close]

Ships: Archeus

Blade - Interceptor
Spoiler

[close]

Nightmare - Heavy Fighter
Spoiler

[close]

Krakken - Heavy Bomber
Spoiler

[close]

Scythe - Gunship
Spoiler

[close]

Striker - Frigate
Spoiler

[close]

Lancer - Missile Destroyer
Spoiler

[close]

Templar - Carrier
Spoiler
[close]

Justicar - Cruiser
Spoiler

[close]

Paladin - Battlecruiser
Spoiler

[close]

Omega - Command Battleship
Spoiler

[close]

Credits:

Dante80: Hunter and F32 Viper models from "Lotus" Pirates mod

Medikohl and Spiral Arms: Pelican and High Tech Eagle used as a basic template for the design behind the Templar and Paladin

and of course

Alex: For making this game and allowing it to be modded!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 08:13:41 PM by Morrokain »

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: New Ships from Upcoming "Rise of Archeus" mod!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 03:01:23 PM »

Ok everyone sorry it took so long for release. Just got over pneumonia and I'll admit the release of Guild Wars 2 sidetracked me a bit. ;D

Now that the beta version is released I desperately need testers! So if you run into any of these please notify me on this thread or through a pm:

- bugs

- campaign issues

- balance issues (please give reasons and describe in detail) *does not guarantee changes*

- sprite issues/critiques/comments *see above*

- suggestions, ideas or things you would like to see added  

Since my last post before release there have been many changes made to the sprites and their roles. I will outline a few here:

Changelog V1.0

- The Paladin is now a Capital-class Battlecruiser instead of a Cruiser-class and has received a new sprite and an large energy slot to compliment its weapons package.

- The Lancer, Raptor, Templar and Executor have all had their sprites cleaned up a bit and slightly changed. In addition they have had some weapon slots moved or removed.

- The Omega Battleship has had a sprite overhaul. It has far less large energy weapons and instead has a few missiles and more medium slots. 4 of the 6 remaining large slots are now built-in.

- The Pathfinder has had its sprite redesigned and is now officially has a Destroyer hull and has been given the Carrier-class designation. Several weapons slots were removed and an additional Flight Deck was added both graphically and data-wise.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:34:54 AM by Morrokain »

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 03:22:26 PM »

This is some very nice sprite remixing work! Let me know if you put together a playable download and I'll promote the thread to the Mods forum.

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 06:04:46 PM »

^
I love the sprites

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 07:29:17 PM »

Thanks for the support guys! Hopefully the mod will be available for play testing very soon. I am doing a few more balance iterations on some of the newer designs and a few more of the tedious things need to be done (like descriptions and tinkering with fleet compositions). After that I will release a Beta version so the community can give balance or design feedback while I research some of the more advanced features.

I'd estimate a playable download in less than a week if everything goes well.

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 06:29:58 PM »

These are some great looking sprites! Nice work :)

Looking at the Omega, it might be hard to balance that against vanilla, that thing looks like a monster!

On a personal note, I'd be interested in using the Executor sprite for a mod I'm working on, would you be against me incorporating that ship into my mod? Naturally I would give full credit to you for the work you did on the ship.

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 08:42:49 PM »

Sure go ahead! As far as the Omega, it would seem that way, but one thing that I haven't released yet is a new kind of weapon that primarily takes up energy slots. They are called "hybrids." They combine a few of the characteristics of both energy and ballistic weapons but have a few key drawbacks. The Archeus ships rely primarily on these types of weapons and are built around their design. That doesn't mean they can't use other weapons, but it will change the way the ship is outfitted when they do. Its hard to explain I will have to explain more on release.  Again I'm not saying balance will be perfect, but I am trying to balance the Omega and the Paragon to be equals ;D

Cypher

• Ensign
  • A spacemarine penguin. Because I can
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 04:24:30 AM »

Very nice sprites! Although, I've got to say that the Archaeus ships lack uniformity, maybe you could add a faction paint scheme?

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 06:59:48 PM »

Very nice sprites! Although, I've got to say that the Archaeus ships lack uniformity, maybe you could add a faction paint scheme?

I would if I could. Unfortunately, despite multiple attempts and two tutorials I absolutely suck at painting and shading using paint.net right now.  :-[

Erick Doe might be doing a bit of recoloring for me in the metallic look I was originally wanting to do so that may eventually happen. Right now it is understandably when he has the spare time so it may take a while. In the meantime I will practice at it since I eventually want to do quite a bit of custom work later on down the road.

A valid point nevertheless.

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 08:02:21 PM »

look me in the eye and tell me the pathfinder is a destroyer. its more of a cruiser than the ship its based on witch in my mind should be a
destroyer

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 11:33:57 AM »

look me in the eye and tell me the pathfinder is a destroyer. its more of a cruiser than the ship its based on witch in my mind should be a
destroyer

*looks dead into eyes* ...ok so maybe its a heavy destroyer ;) but again if the ships look like they have way more weapon slots than other ships of their class this is by design because of the weapons they use and the balance is that if they were to switch these out with the vanilla weapons they couldn't handle equipping them to every slot as it were.

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 05:42:37 PM »

activate laser eyes

OK

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 09:10:59 PM »

activate laser eyes

OK

Great  how am I supposed to mod now that I cant see lol.  :-X

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Re: "Rise of Archeus" *Beta Released v1.0*
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 02:01:09 PM »

Congrats on producing a playable version of your mod! This thread has been promoted to the Mods subforum for all to see.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
Re: "Rise of Archeus" *Beta Released v1.0*
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 02:24:45 PM »

Ehr, every cruiser+ ship is a carrier?
Pages: [1] 2