Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hyperion phase teleport range/recharge broken atm?!  (Read 4862 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Hyperion phase teleport range/recharge broken atm?!
« on: August 21, 2012, 07:37:55 AM »

I just had a battle where an enemy Hyperion attacked my Medusa literally 10 seconds after the battle had started!?!

I'd flown onto the map, phase-shifted forwards 3 times, and found myself being attacked from behind by an enemy Hyperion!

Has the Hyperion's recharge rate, or teleport range been broken in the most recent version? or is the AI teleporting impossibly long distances?

Or perhaps it's by-design that the Hyperion can cross the entire map in <10 seconds.

I've also noticed Hyperions completely capturing the 'middle' objective points before my Talon fighters have even reached their 'near' objective point!?

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Hyperion phase teleport range/recharge broken atm?!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 07:40:42 AM »

Read the patchnotes for the new update.

It has no recharge rate, so it can spam them. But they use 20% of base flux.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 07:48:51 AM »

There's nothing bugged with the Hyperion at the moment, although I do think something may have to be done about them.  They're basically playing their own game at the moment, and as a player your only real recourse is to let them blink around while you kill the rest of their fleet and they decide to retreat, unless you get lucky and the AI does something suicidal.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 07:52:12 AM »

As far as fighting the Hyperion - a decently-kitted and piloted Enforcer can beat one pretty easily in a 1-1. It just requires a different approach than fighting other ships.

Not to say that the Hyperion won't change, but the way it works now is "correct" - for now.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 07:59:16 AM »

The key to fighting a hyperion is to dump a massive amount of damage onto them the moment they appear. Hopefully within a second: 1) you destroy it as its shields are raising 2) you overload it 3) you at least give it enough flux to prevent retreat, forcing it to drop its shields, and take more damage right to the hull which will probably still kill it. - often anticipating the jump or timing it as it just begins to shimmer is critical - especially if it forces it to jump right onto the oncoming projectiles for massive damage.

I'd recommend practicing in the 'simulate battle' screen; once you get the hang of it, they are easily dealt with, at least in a 1-1; the AI isn't terribly good at fighting them though >.<

bluntfang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 08:58:09 AM »

In my opinion the Hyperion is less powerful now even though you can spam it.  The reason is the 20% flux. Before I could wack on some vents and 4 antimatter blasters and solo whole fleets. Now the initial jump takes more too much flux and not all 4 anti matter can fire. Even if 3 go off the flux is so high that I run a very real risk of overloading. As a result the Hyperion is much tamer.  Sure you can still go burst, but it is no where near as lethal as the 4 anti matter was.

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 01:04:10 PM »

Maybe they should not be able to capture points. Just say they do not have the equipment on board because they are built so compactly.

moontan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 01:30:07 PM »

Maybe they should not be able to capture points. Just say they do not have the equipment on board because they are built so compactly.

right you are.
but i think the Teleport should only be available only once every 20-30 seconds or so.
that would fix the point capping problem.

also, retreating fighters have no chances to retreat if i fly the Hyperion, unless they have a carrier close-by.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:32:18 PM by moontan »

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 01:35:45 PM »

Im pretty sure both the above suggestions are really confusing to new players and dosnt make any sense lore wise. Though they would probably be more balanced, but thats not what its all about.

My thoughts are that the Hyperion is fine, and the recent change really made it so i have to think and see it the opportunity is worth it.

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 01:40:48 PM »

It's a 15 OP ship now if I read that correctly, so it darn well better be tough.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 01:42:58 PM »

It's a 15 OP ship now if I read that correctly, so it darn well better be tough.

This

You could get a frikking apogee for that.

moontan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 02:32:05 PM »

This

You could get a frikking apogee for that.

you can.
but by the time you have finished 'cleaning up' all the enemy fighter and capping points with the Hyperion the battle is as good as done.
the Hyperion should come with a sign painted on the hull that says: "Game Over".  ;)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:06:13 PM by moontan »

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 05:20:30 PM »

Yeah, even if you can't capture points with it is a very powerful addition to a fleet or solo. If you can cap points it is just overpowering.

And if may be confusing to newbies, but if there is a special thing in the corner that shows status effects (like engine boost, energy weapon flux boost and such) that says "this unit can't capture beacons" they would catch on. And they wouldn't be too disappointed either -when I was a newbie I bought ships to blow other ships up, not capture points. They would certainly be less disappointed then when they first run into a Tri-Tachyon fleet with Hyperions...