Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Resistant Flux Conduits  (Read 3414 times)

Brainbread

• Commander
    • View Profile
Resistant Flux Conduits
« on: August 20, 2012, 11:13:12 PM »

Did a search, didn't see much talk on it, but anyways!

Seeing as Resistant Flux Conduits (RFC) give a 10% boost to flux dissipation, they often are a more efficient choice in dissipating flux from a ship than vents. Included in that is their 75% reduction in EMP damage, which makes weapons like Salamander MRM's incredibly ineffective at their role (disabling engines and systems), to where they take 3 or 4 hits to knock out the engines on a Destroyer instead of 1.

As we're all probably obsessive about flux dissipation, and because of their current efficiency, would it be good to reduce RFC's EMP protection down to say, 50%? To where instead of a single MRM knocks out your engines on a Cruiser to 2 Salamanders? Or would this be something that needs to be tiered based on ship size.

I can imagine its much easier to insulate the flux conduits on a small cruiser, than on something as giant as a Paragon.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Resistant Flux Conduits
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 11:47:26 PM »

shhshshhsshshs

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 12:23:12 AM »

Yeah, flux conduits are a current no brainer on a lot of ships :). If I'm remembering Alex's comments correctly (its late, I'm not going to go up quote unless someone really wants them) the hullmods in general might be subject to a lot of change when skills/experience/whatnot gets implemented, so only highly skilled engineers could deploy them. Or something :P. We'll find out SoonTm!

Brainbread

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 12:28:07 AM »

Yeah, flux conduits are a current no brainer on a lot of ships :). If I'm remembering Alex's comments correctly (its late, I'm not going to go up quote unless someone really wants them) the hullmods in general might be subject to a lot of change when skills/experience/whatnot gets implemented, so only highly skilled engineers could deploy them. Or something :P. We'll find out SoonTm!

That'd be nice to see!

I'm just noticing really how gross the EMP resistance is. Running around with Tempests and Hyperions with Phase Beams, and the EMP really adds up real quickly. None of that fancy maneuvering is needed to mop up an Onslaught when they've got those. As well as the Mjolnr's EMP damage; these weapons wouldn't be nearly as ridiculous if the enemies were also using RFC.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 03:59:10 AM »

damnit

Seriously though, i think its a kind of cool thing that high tech ships with their high base flux regen are often stronger against emp because its often more viable, but i guess a small nerf to the system wouldnt be the end of the world. AI cant take advantage of this sadly tho... makes me think, has anyone come up with a mod that adds a ton of new variants to the game for NPCs fleets to use?

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 04:50:34 AM »

damnit

Seriously though, i think its a kind of cool thing that high tech ships with their high base flux regen are often stronger against emp because its often more viable, but i guess a small nerf to the system wouldnt be the end of the world. AI cant take advantage of this sadly tho... makes me think, has anyone come up with a mod that adds a ton of new variants to the game for NPCs fleets to use?

Damn i would really use that. I hate it how some ships have only like 1 variant.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 07:56:00 AM »

Resistant Flux Conduits isn't quite as good as it might seem at first, since it only modifies base flux dissipation, but it's still completely amazing.

Stabilized Shields is similar.  For most ships it pretty much just breaks even with spending the same amount of OP on vents, but a few get a pretty good boost out of it...and then there's the Aurora, which just takes it to another level by getting rid of 250 flux for 9 OP.

If you don't have Stabilized Shields on your Aurora you are officially Doing It Wrong.

Brainbread

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 08:39:44 AM »

Resistant Flux Conduits isn't quite as good as it might seem at first, since it only modifies base flux dissipation, but it's still completely amazing.

It could probably use a "increases base flux dissipation" in its description (if it was based on total dissipation, it'd be broken)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 08:43:03 AM »

It could probably use a "increases base flux dissipation" in its description (if it was based on total dissipation, it'd be broken)

Good catch, done.

Yeah - I'm holding off on doing finer-grained balancing of a lot of things. Don't want to do it just to redo it all again (though that'll happen a few times anyway, no doubt).