Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DIE ADMIRAL DIE!!!  (Read 5129 times)

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
DIE ADMIRAL DIE!!!
« on: August 20, 2012, 08:59:30 PM »

Sometimes I really do hate being the admiral.
I wish my XO's would do everything for me so I could have a relaxing bout of combat once in a while without having to give orders.
I'm just that bad at commanding I guess. I almost always lose the Missions and I've never been able to get above a 50% high score (playing with max damage, thank ye ;D). Does anyone else ever just want to take a break from being the boss and just fly around and do some jolly old blasting while someone else handles the responsibilities, or am I alone here?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:12:21 PM by GUNINANRUNIN »
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Less is More
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 09:03:10 PM »

I mean you do have a second in command, who generally can handle battles. I don't see why this couldn't be implemented easily.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 09:04:47 PM »

I mean you do have a second in command, who generally can handle battles. I don't see why this couldn't be implemented easily.
Idle musings on my part, for the most part.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 09:09:52 PM »

obligatory making sure question:

you made it so that your flagship takes full damage in settings right? :D

but yes, it be cool to have it so that someone else carries out a preselected strategy (E.G: harass the enemy to death. plow through their ranks and kill their capital / cruisers first, harass the enemy and send ships out for objectives. etc)

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 09:12:59 PM »

I don't think "second in command" option does anything similar to actual battle as of now. It doesn't simulate any orders, that's almost sure.

Or am I wrong? I hope I am, that would actually allow for easy, true "second in command" battle mode ;)

PS: GUNINANRUNIN, my advice is to change the thread topic, since it's well... it's not very specific to say the least :D

calciumdeposit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 09:46:30 PM »

You're probably still stuck in "easy mode", which can be changed in settings "flag ship takes full damage" or something like that. Being in easy mode divides your score in half or maybe just caps it at 50%.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
Re: DIE ADMIRAL DIE!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 10:10:44 PM »

I play with full damage settings. No pansies in my house, and god do I love me a challenge friends, make no mistake (Dark Souls Naked Playthroughs err'day).
Like I said, commanding is total awk-sauce sometimes (but it feels SO GOOD when it works imo). I'm just saying it would totally rock if I could play the battles without having to give orders, but still keep my fleet from having the consistency and intelligence of chunky salsa when I decide to do just that.
In case you never noticed.. Bad stuff happens when you give no orders. :-\
No orders = deader than doornails.

Also, telling your second to, *ahem*, 'handle it' auto-resolves the battle and usually results in dreadful results, even when your fleet is superior.
I really don't like leaving things to the dice. No fun at all.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:14:23 PM by GUNINANRUNIN »

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 10:14:51 PM »

A "use Admiral AI" button on the Tactical map would be very cool imho: sometime you just want to focus reaping the onslaught with those reapers.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 10:20:48 PM »

A "use Admiral AI" button on the Tactical map would be very cool imho: sometime you just want to focus reaping the onslaught with those reapers.
Precisely.
As long as its the same amount of chance being taken pushing that button as pushing the autoresolve button, I don't see why this couldn't turn out to be an interesting addition. Would it be too much to say that this would be stripping away a whole layer of gameplay? Taking the easy way out?

Commanding is difficult to master, but surely rewarding in the end. Would an 'admiral AI' button discourage people from playing the game any more than the autopilot and autoresolve buttons do? I suppose you could also say the autopilot and autoresolve buttons do just that, but they each carry with them a certain amount of risk, and one inevitably seeks more efficient alternatives and evolves his tactics accordingly.

I was very much expecting this thread to turn out to be a simple gripefest, but perhaps this should be moved to suggestions where more feedback could be found on this? I would like that very much indeed.

On another note, I wonder how challenging this would be to integrate?
I've only recently begun teaching myself how to program and whatnot so I wouldn't know.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:32:12 PM by GUNINANRUNIN »

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 12:04:51 AM »

Related, theres actually a mod for mount and blade that lets you play as a soldier in a lords army, its a nice piece of work. Translated into starfsrer you might fly a single ship or command a contingent within a greater admirals fleet. If official implementation is wanted (as a way of getting start game wages and combat, flying with the hegemony or something) there are a few issues that would need to be looked at.

Most importantly is that the world map would have to be sped up greatly, even moreso when the game world gets bigger, or the player will be staring at his screen waiting for his fleet to encounter something for far too long.

Second is repairs, supply costs. Should these be paid for by the player? The fleet? what about fuel, crew, and inventory? they would all have to be managed specially with this in mind.

Third is shore leave, the player needs to be able to actually go to stations, refit his ship (and buy supplies if he needs to) and all that jazz without completely leaving his fleet alone. This would have to be worked in somehow.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 07:56:50 PM »

Most importantly is that the world map would have to be sped up greatly, even moreso when the game world gets bigger, or the player will be staring at his screen waiting for his fleet to encounter something for far too long.
Definitely my first concern.
However, we can already 2x speed on the travel map, and I doubt finding people to fight would be too terribly difficult, as long as you weren't attached to the SDF.  :o

Second is repairs, supply costs. Should these be paid for by the player? The fleet? what about fuel, crew, and inventory? they would all have to be managed specially with this in mind.
You receive standard issue equipment, crew, ship(s). Repairs would be the fleet's responsibility but any refitting you wish to do comes out of your pocket. You receive wages as well as commission for downing ships and performing various acts worthy of merit (getting everyone back alive, saving an expensive asset). Fuel is provided by the fleet when you sortie, but you'd probably be sticking within a star system anyways. Border guard and such.

Third is shore leave, the player needs to be able to actually go to stations, refit his ship (and buy supplies if he needs to) and all that jazz without completely leaving his fleet alone. This would have to be worked in somehow.
Perhaps you could go to a Hegemony starbases and volunteer to have your fleet or ship hired and absorbed into a patrol or the defense fleet for a given period of time/number of battles etc. You would be compensated accordingly but of course you would have to accept the risk of being commanded by an incompetent admiral.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:59:26 PM by GUNINANRUNIN »

Roopyblue

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 05:18:10 AM »

Made an account just so I could reply to this. Been on the forums for ages just looking, but I had a cool idea.

You could implement faction wars/campaigns, where a certain faction (Hegemony) are sending out a fleet to hunt and kill another fleet/base/faction, where you have the option of joining those fleets to make some money and you aren't the one in command of the battles. I realise the war between factions element of this is already present but this implementation could add some real impact to the faction standings and such.

As an aside, you could join up with a faction, and choose to have a commander from that faction with you to give orders, essentially letting you take a back seat and allowing you to get the basics of combat down before becoming a renowned commander yourself or starting your own faction.

Feel free to critique, I haven't put a wild amount of thought into this.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 09:43:03 AM »

Made an account just so I could reply to this. Been on the forums for ages just looking, but I had a cool idea.

You could implement faction wars/campaigns, where a certain faction (Hegemony) are sending out a fleet to hunt and kill another fleet/base/faction, where you have the option of joining those fleets to make some money and you aren't the one in command of the battles. I realise the war between factions element of this is already present but this implementation could add some real impact to the faction standings and such.

As an aside, you could join up with a faction, and choose to have a commander from that faction with you to give orders, essentially letting you take a back seat and allowing you to get the basics of combat down before becoming a renowned commander yourself or starting your own faction.

Feel free to critique, I haven't put a wild amount of thought into this.

Welcome to the forum!

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 09:51:27 AM »

This is also a well known (still awesome) suggestion. Welcome bro.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 01:30:41 PM »

Welcome!
Thanks so much for replying mate! You'll have a good time here.  ;D
Pages: [1] 2