Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Tempest/Terminator drone bug  (Read 1539 times)

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Tempest/Terminator drone bug
« on: August 20, 2012, 05:32:48 PM »

When an AI-controlled Tempest activates its system to change the terminator drone's roaming orders, it drops its shields.

How to reproduce-
• Fit a Tempest with 1x AM blaster in the left slot, 1x Heavy Burst Laser in the right slot, 10x vents, 1x capacitor, hardened shields, extended shields, and resistant flux conduits.
• Run a simulation, deploy the Heavy Support Dominator. (I use the take 50% damage option usually, just fyi)
• At some point you'll hear the chirping of the Tempest activating its system while under fire and you will see it drop its shields.

That seems to reproduce it pretty reliably. In that fight, you may also see the Tempest drop its shields while under fire to direct it towards incoming Pilums (which can be kind of annoying), but isn't really an issue.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Tempest/Terminator drone bug
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 05:51:07 PM »

Hmm. Can't reproduce (trying that exact setup), and I'd be shocked if this was actually the case. An interaction like that between those two actions seems literally impossible. Doesn't mean that's not the case, but...

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 06:16:24 PM »

Hmm. Can't reproduce (trying that exact setup), and I'd be shocked if this was actually the case. An interaction like that between those two actions seems literally impossible. Doesn't mean that's not the case, but...

Hm, I ran the sim several more times and it seems that the Tempest dropping its shields when it activates its system may be coincidental. It does drop its shields a lot in that matchup...

When I reported it, it literally deactivated its shields every time its system was activated. I watched it happen several times before making the report, just to be sure. This last time I ran it, though, it activated its system and didn't drop its shields. So... yah, probably coincidence. Terrible luck, it seems. =/ Sorry for the trouble.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not entirely sure. It does keep happening. I'll post again if I can get anything more definitive

FINAL EDIT: I give up. About 50% of the time when it changes its drone's orders, it drops shields. It tends to happen at fairly high flux levels when kinetic damage is incoming. It usually (maybe always?) happens when Pilums are in the vicinity. It's probable that there is a correlation, but not necessarily a cause-effect relationship between the two events. In conclusion, probably working as intended and I just had bad luck.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:49:34 PM by naufrago »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 06:18:46 PM »

No worries - thanks for taking the time to report it, just the same.