Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: New state of the art weapon  (Read 5542 times)

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
New state of the art weapon
« on: November 01, 2011, 02:37:42 PM »

There should be a weapon called the Gunsat(or a diffrent name like Orbital Plasma Satellite Defence System...or OPSDS)  which is a drone that orbits around the ships firing repeating blasters at high speeds. This weapon should get very limited ammo. I picked up this idea a long time ago from Asteroids for the ps1....im not saying copy that im saying make something of the sorts. Second option would be make it fire much slower but be 3(ammount varies by ship size) permanent destroyable Gunsat's around a ships. This weapon can be a fun one to use and its very unique...makes me wonder why this kind of weapon isnt used at all...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 02:39:27 PM by Lopunny Zen »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: New state of the art weapon
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 06:10:21 PM »

This kind of thing is called an "option" in shooters, afaik. In SC2, the Chmmr Avatar ship had "zapsats" just like that.

There's a possibility we'll add something similar down the line - it is cool.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 06:32:33 PM »

There should be a weapon called the Gunsat(or a diffrent name like Orbital Plasma Satellite Defence System...or OPSDS)  which is a drone that orbits around the ships firing repeating blasters at high speeds. This weapon should get very limited ammo. I picked up this idea a long time ago from Asteroids for the ps1....im not saying copy that im saying make something of the sorts. Second option would be make it fire much slower but be 3(ammount varies by ship size) permanent destroyable Gunsat's around a ships. This weapon can be a fun one to use and its very unique...makes me wonder why this kind of weapon isnt used at all...

I think the guns themselves should be incredibly small to limit the recoil, heat, and fuel needed. They probably wouldn't fire very fast either. Come to think of it, the ship itself probably shouldn't move very fast too when they're deployed due to the incredibly small engines on them.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 11:08:25 AM »

no its not a ship but a satellite deployed to follow the Sat launchers gravitational ring orbit so it requires no power to move and your right as for the gun it might shoot super fast...but this all depends on the quantity of the weapon...there should be major testing to balance this....i am becoming a game designer so if you need a tester Alex i can do my best to help :)

tinsoldier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 08:49:11 PM »

What's the difference between options/orbitals and something like a wasp drone that flies in formation with you?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 09:48:33 AM »

What's the difference between options/orbitals and something like a wasp drone that flies in formation with you?

Options are pretty much an extension of your ship. They're predictable and you might have a good degree of control over them. For example,they might fire when you fire - or fire automatically, but at your target.

But yeah, a wasp wing that flies in perfect formation would be rather similar.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 11:18:02 AM »

well it may be limited to small orbit but it does have a powerful gun and once it runs out of ammo it can either drift off or collide with a ship.....wasp have very low armor but this may take punishment alot more than the ships

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 11:29:19 AM »

From what I've come to understand of building economies, the smaller the object the smaller the gun and ammunition storage it has, not to mention fuel as well. The more space you make for the fuel or warhead, the less space you have for everything else, and there's very little space already.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

InfinitySquared

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 02:58:30 AM »

Perhaps these could be relegated to a point defense role. Have the ship launch them through missile mounts and they will form up around their parent ship to defend it from oncoming fire with lasers or somesuch. Not as powerful as hull mounted guns, but would free up a few mounts for other weapons.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 01:03:29 PM »

well...that bigger they are the more they hold would be true...but this could be the size of the turret it carries...like i said it has a powerful laser against fighter or small ships...but its still just one gun....the guy above me may have something going...why not make it a defender for the big ship...or..a new weapon to add to the game can be some robotic interceptors to defend the ship...though its quantity should be low...

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 11:19:36 PM »

I really do think they should be mainly for point defense against incoming missiles. Small vehicles tend to have the following factors: they are usually made en masse, and everything about them are exponentially far more inefficient than larger ships with more room. The only real things that goes right for them are the small radar signatures they tend to have, the plentiful numbers of them, and the fact that you need very specialized weapons to fight them effectively like flak or some sort of area weapon that usually needs to be designed to fight a particular swarm. They are usually not something special in themselves, anything you put on them, you can always put a much bigger, far more efficient one on a larger ship. They do however, tie down the resources of your opponents facing you though. Both tactically and strategically, these machines while not being all that dangerous to most ships, punch above their weight in terms of how much materiel the enemy has to use to counter them.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 09:23:10 AM »

yes but there is...already alot of missile defences...we need something thats decent but can defend against both...if it help these things have limited ammo

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 03:48:58 PM »

So the sats in SC2 were completely unrealistic and OP, but still cool.  I believe we can all agree on that, yeah?

I was thinking this could be a power up or one-shot item. They pop up, defend your ship, wreaking havok on whatever is closest, then fairly rapidly run out of juice, power-down and just become like a small asteroids drifting slowly away.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire