Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Mjolnir Cannon: Anyone Use It?  (Read 28960 times)

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Mjolnir Cannon: Anyone Use It?
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2012, 04:36:50 PM »

For the time being at least. Who knows what'll happen in regards to its versatility. Just look at how the Omen changed: From a joke, around the level of the Buffalo to something that makes most people crap themselves. Now, the Mjolnir might not get that kind of beefing up, but it could become quite a niche weapon further than "Yeah, only this ship can mount it for practical reasons"

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2012, 04:52:11 PM »

not in particular, there's enough ways to close / widen the gap.

i think we just gotta settle that it's a novelty weapon that is supposed to be used by one ship with one specific loadout.

If alex wanted that he would make it a built in weapon like he did with the onslaught

However, he didn't and so the community is proposing ways to make the weapon balanced

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2012, 04:53:46 PM »

If alex wanted that he would make it a built in weapon like he did with the onslaught
Not true. Making it a built in weapon would force you to use it, while not having it as a built in lets you use other weapons instead.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2012, 05:15:25 PM »

not in particular, there's enough ways to close / widen the gap.

i think we just gotta settle that it's a novelty weapon that is supposed to be used by one ship with one specific loadout.

However, he didn't and so the community is proposing ways to make the weapon balanced

Frankly, it's not good even on the Conquest.  The Conquest is just the only ship that can even try to use it.

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2012, 05:17:41 PM »

Technically the Mjolnir is used on two ships, the Elite Onslaught and the Conquest :P

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2012, 05:29:44 PM »

Technically the Mjolnir is used on two ships, the Elite Onslaught and the Conquest :P
Not true. Making it a built in weapon would force you to use it, while not having it as a built in lets you use other weapons instead.

beat me to it

Brainbread

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2012, 10:41:38 PM »

I think everyone is forgetting it deals EMP damage too.

Which puts it up there as a really good support weapon that deals good damage. Even more so when tacking high armour targets. Who cares if its not munching their armour when they can't fire back! Phase beams and Mjolnir and EMP oh my!

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2012, 11:12:02 PM »

personally I think if you're spending a large ballistic slot for the weapon, it better be able to hold a spearhead...

Maybe if it had a tad more range that would be more forgivable... not sure about that.

the dominator, onslaught, and conquest are mostly frontliners anyway...
mmm.... tartiflette

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2012, 01:40:57 AM »

Who knows how it will be in finished game. Maybe you ain't gonna find that easy large weapons so when you finally find one Mjolnr you gonna jump sky high  ;D   Then you ain't gonna look its flux/dmg/bla output you gonna be plain happy.  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2012, 02:29:26 AM »

Who knows how it will be in finished game. Maybe you ain't gonna find that easy large weapons so when you finally find one Mjolnr you gonna jump sky high  ;D   Then you ain't gonna look its flux/dmg/bla output you gonna be plain happy.  ;D
yeah thats what i think as well even though id probably still take few HVDs+some medium HE gun or two over Mjolnir

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2012, 04:35:20 AM »

I think everyone is forgetting it deals EMP damage too.

Which puts it up there as a really good support weapon that deals good damage. Even more so when tacking high armour targets. Who cares if its not munching their armour when they can't fire back! Phase beams and Mjolnir and EMP oh my!

It actually is pretty decent, but only against low-tech that don't have shields. High-tech ships can just shrug it off because of the low(relatively) DPS.

I think it's main aspect is that it does energy damage, so it isn't gimped against shields or armor(But is doens't have an advantage over one either, unless you take the EMP into account). It's also the most(or at least one of the most) damaging guns that do energy damage, and it can be fitted on low-tech. Maybe he could make the gun itself universal(So it can be fit on ballistic and energy)?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]