Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What would you like to see in Blackrock?

More ships
- 754 (23.7%)
More weapons
- 480 (15.1%)
More campaign features
- 477 (15%)
Space monsters
- 705 (22.1%)
More lore
- 207 (6.5%)
More music
- 131 (4.1%)
More portraits
- 157 (4.9%)
Subfactions
- 277 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1424

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 209

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards  (Read 1790393 times)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Re: Blackrock Drive Yards - v0.30
« Reply #315 on: March 08, 2013, 10:55:22 AM »

It's situationally as powerful as a battlecruiser, but classed as a cruiser. Also, it does not replace the current Nevermore.

conorano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 08, 2013, 11:07:39 AM »

well this all looks promising. have you ever continued work on your drone faction or is that not on the agenda any time soon? if thats no project for you anymore i would like to see a blackrock drone support ship. maybe with long ranged lasers or something (yes im obsessed with long ranged wapons thats why i keep asking things like that  ;D)

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 08, 2013, 11:56:53 AM »

Can We get some coders to make it actively kill crew in normal running conditions without any damage required? That would be a superb trade-off of power verses utility
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 08, 2013, 12:17:22 PM »

Hehe with a backstory like that, I'm almost surprised it isn't named Damocles :P

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 08, 2013, 12:33:25 PM »

Funnily enough, its built-in weapon is named the Sword of Damocles!

zakastra: Eventually I'd like to make custom accidents for the ship involving crew loss.

All in all, in these little snippets of lore, I hope the ruthlessness of Blackrock Drive Yards is coming through. Megacorporations... never the good guys.

Shield

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 08, 2013, 03:42:33 PM »

Is there anyway of increasing the strength of the field?

Yes, with the current settings changing the constant INVERSE_GRAVITY will alter the field strength.

For reference, an explanation on the constants:

private static float FIELD_RANGE = 1000f;
This sets at what range the field will begin to have an effect on objects.  Depending on the other settings, the effect is likely to be negligible at this distance.

private static float FIELD_STRENGTH = 0.00000005f;
    private static float FIELD_STRENGTH_CONSTANT = 6f;
    private static float FIELD_STRENGTH_SQUARED = 3f;
These are the original field strength constants and ones for previous implementations I made.  They are all unused in this iteration.

private static boolean MUTUAL_GRAVITY = false;
This determines whether the Kurmaraja is affected by the gravitational forces it generates.  If so, the force is split depending on the respective masses of the Kurmaraja and what it is affecting.  Produces some odd results due to the disproportionate mass of projectiles to ships (missile surfing is quite entertaining ;)) and the implementation of engine thrust (which negates the force entirely).

private static boolean GRAVITY_PROPORTIONAL_TO_MASS = false;
This determines whether the field operates as a direct reversal of normal gravity (where greater masses generate greater forces) or whether the force is inversely proportional to the objects mass.  Given the original function of the field I have it set to the inverse so it is more effective against projectiles and less so against ships.

private static float PROPORTIONAL_GRAVITY = 0.1f;
    private static float INVERSE_GRAVITY = 10000f;
These are the field strengths of the proportional to mass and inversely proportional implementations, respectively, and are what you were looking for.

private static float DISTANCE_WEIGHT = 1f;
This is simply a constant to scale the effect of distance to your taste.

I'm not trying to foist this off on anyone, by the way.  I simply found the idea of the system intriguing, wanted to test the limits of what could be done with it, and was pleased enough with the result that I wanted to share it.

So what file would be edited to do the changes, the subsytem file?

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 08, 2013, 04:23:51 PM »

Spoiler

"How are we going to find crewmen that are willing to serve aboard this thing? You're talking the whole load here - potential gamma ray exposure, ambient phasic bleed lacerations to DNA... I'd put crew life expectancy around two months at most. Not even Deadbloods are going to want to climb into the airlocks on this... this torture instrument! You cancelled Project Lucifer yourself, Sir - although I don't mean to imply-"

Roland Augustmoon leaned forward in his ostentatious chair, unimaginably expensive woodwork from Lodestone's resource-rich past creaking in protest. It wasn't a sight you could get used to easily - those charismatic, crow's feet-lined eyes... and then the cold light shimmering from within, those orbs - too *small* for their sockets, silently observing you. The chief designer swallowed, making a noise that easily filled the room.
The ship model hovered over the table surface in an exploded view - pieces fitting together perfectly, joined by the metaphasic flux conduits that streamed out from the Lucifer Generator and filled the entire vessel. A spaceship, he knew, that would inevitably poison the life out of its crew.

"We don't deal in moral absolutes here at Blackrock, chief designer. Are you suggesting that there is some sort of tradeoff here that... we shouldn't be prepared to make?"

"N-no, Sir Augustmoon. I'm just saying that it will be an enormous resource drain on any fleet willing to accept the obvious risks. Why would we want to strain our omnifacs with a new blueprint, when we already have the Nevermore line in steady production, with combat protocols already trialed in live combat, the Sector already spreading rumors-"

"The Nevermore guarantees nothing. Only this can guarantee... that capital ships become a liability in the Sector. This is everyone's loss, and everyone's gain, Mr. Wondermere. This proves that we are done being intimidated by the snivelling Tri-Tachyon hypocrites and their Domain battlestations. It will be like a sword hanging over their heads, tied by a thin string, ready to snap."

The Chief Designer nodded quickly, and gathered his papers, eager to leave the room.

"I will notify the committee, then... and call a meeting in two hours," he said.

He could feel Augustmoon's gaze creeping up the nape of his neck as he waited for the doors to slide open.

"Like a sword hanging over all our heads," he thought, closing his eyes as he stepped outside into the dry air.
[close]

Wow, great, really great.....it's great.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 10, 2013, 07:21:29 AM »

Funnily enough, its built-in weapon is named the Sword of Damocles!
Yesssssss!!!!2122321qefa!!

That is so great! lol (not necessarily funny just a feeling of great joy)

Alfalfa

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 14, 2013, 03:12:14 PM »

I want that.  I need that.  Crew be damned.

Go to the mod folder, then to data\shipsystems\scripts, open GravityField.java, and replace the apply function with mine.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 14, 2013, 03:31:49 PM »

I just drop by to say that Nevermore is my favorite ship in UC. I usually go for biggest but this dude... It's just... DAMN! SO damn good man. It can shoot, it can push ships, it can push wrecks and kill someone with it... So fun  ;D  And that gun, o boy that gun is so wort every single crew lost do to overloading.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Shield

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 14, 2013, 03:54:51 PM »

I want that.  I need that.  Crew be damned.

Go to the mod folder, then to data\shipsystems\scripts, open GravityField.java, and replace the apply function with mine.

Thank you much for the info, greatly appreciate it.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #326 on: March 15, 2013, 12:56:57 AM »

Cycerin, you are a credit to the modding community. Great work here, all around.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 18, 2013, 08:33:31 AM »

Thanks a lot Trylo. I wouldn't have been able to get very far without your ship editor. ;)

So in other news, I just tweaked the faction some more. Ironweaver has a new sprite and now fires twin bullets from both barrels at the same time. It does more DPS, has a bigger chance of hitting incoming missiles and builds a tad more flux. The Desdinova's ship system now provides a longer burst of thrust, doesn't have charges anymore and just a straight cooldown like the Burn Drive for better UI feedback. I also changed the sound effect of the Arcjet Thruster... AGAIN.

I'm also playtesting and working on the Nevermore B and the Sachumodo.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 18, 2013, 09:13:08 AM »

It is so beautiful :'(

Shield

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 18, 2013, 12:21:22 PM »