Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What would you like to see in Blackrock?

More ships
- 754 (23.7%)
More weapons
- 480 (15.1%)
More campaign features
- 477 (15%)
Space monsters
- 705 (22.1%)
More lore
- 207 (6.5%)
More music
- 131 (4.1%)
More portraits
- 157 (4.9%)
Subfactions
- 277 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1424

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 209

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards  (Read 1790528 times)

Chronosfear

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Blackrock Drive Yards - v0.30
« Reply #285 on: March 03, 2013, 06:40:51 AM »

First i thought the the shipsystem of your BC Kurmaraja is not strong enough, but hell it is. the system reduces any ballistic damage depending on the impactspeed/power left. So it´s not a missile defense as i thought in the first place :)
Maybe the system could also affect asteroids and dead ships ? or even ships getting to close ( like missiles ) because it should affect anything in it´s range :)

Nevermore with 1 more guns on each side would be awesome. the port and starboard sides are it´s real weakness in my opinion.

Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

My words are backed with nuclear weapons
Gandhi (Civ)

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 03, 2013, 07:16:17 AM »

Something to note about the Kurmaraja's gravity field is that it becomes more powerful the closer the projectile is to the center of the ship. So those using it to block projectiles from the side will have far more luck than those using it to protect the front or back, due to the shape of the ship.

Cycerin: I'd be willing to rewrite the Kurmaraja's ship system if you want. If I recall correctly, it was a quick replacement system since the API hooks necessary for the original idea weren't implemented yet. :)

Alfalfa

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 03, 2013, 03:53:37 PM »

the lucifer generator was the first shipsystem of the nevermore. it was a timed ability that completely locked your engines down so it made you unable to move in any way except for the velocity you had. but on the bright side, you would get like 2 or 3 times more energy weapon damage. it was meant for the nevermores built in weapon

Oh thank you, that explains it.  I saw posts about how good it could be, how people would miss it, how it might come back in the future, et cetera, but not a word as to what it actually was!

To Alfalfa: Well, it's going to be a phase destroyer, not a phase cruiser. And I had actually considered a weaponized flux venting system for that ship - an emergency flux vent that damages the ship slightly, does damage to everything in close range, etc. I'm worried that burst jets would be too good on a phase ship, it would be very fun to pilot though. Glad you're enjoying the mod.

The Sachumodo in the files is a very outdated sprite and the final ship probably won't look much like that at all. :)

Been pondering adding two more turrets to the Nevermore - one small ballistic turret on each flank, pointing sideways with a 120-160 degree arc. Thoughts?

Well, if it's a destroyer, depending on its loadout it might not be too powerful with burst jets.  That flux venting system sounds good, though.  Being surrounded with high flux is pretty much a death sentence for phase ships in my experience, unless it has crazy venting, and I tend to prefer capacitors over vents on phase ships.

Aw, I thought the Sachumodo looked boss, but I'm sure you'll come up with something great.

As for the Nevermore, I'm currently using it as my flagship in my Blackrock fleet and haven't had much trouble with missiles, though that could just be the dual flaks being awesome.  I doubt a couple small turrets on a cruiser would unbalance it though.

Serket fighters are fantastic, by the way.  I think they're the most survivable fighters in the game, which is a big consideration for me.

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 04, 2013, 05:06:52 AM »

Been pondering adding two more turrets to the Nevermore - one small ballistic turret on each flank, pointing sideways with a 120-160 degree arc. Thoughts?

Not necessary if you ask me. It feels like it's in a solid place now. Wouldn't mind if it had the High Energy Focus subsystem though, it would be a perfect match.

EnderNerdcore

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 04, 2013, 07:14:22 AM »

Not necessary if you ask me. It feels like it's in a solid place now. Wouldn't mind if it had the High Energy Focus subsystem though, it would be a perfect match.
God no, the Nevermore's current ship system is perfect and is the reason I use it.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 04, 2013, 04:56:47 PM »

The new Sachumodo. Still a work in progress, both sprite and ship, but... this is pretty much the final shape.

The Robberfly-class Corvette, a 3fp frigate without a shield, fast and with a highly efficient flare launcher.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 04, 2013, 08:25:19 PM »

Well it is different, i don't know if that is a good thing yet but it certainly is different :)

Brainbread

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 05, 2013, 09:15:58 AM »

The new Sachumodo. Still a work in progress, both sprite and ship, but... this is pretty much the final shape.

Cycerin. Stop it. I'm having enough trouble playing any faction other than Blackrock, and this is just making it harder (though, I will admit. The frigates and non Serjit fighters feel like they're made of glass near the endgame, as does the Desindova. So I generally stick with the Carriers and Nevermores).

And I still haven't got my hands on the special edition Nevermore (I've killed that fleet a dozen times, its *** me off xD)

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 05, 2013, 09:25:12 AM »

I also touched up the Nevermore sprite recently, it looks a bit better now. The added turrets make it much less vulnerable to flanking by frigates, but the ship still has the base ordnance points. Might increase it to 155.

Wouldn't say the Desdinova feels glassy in the player's hands, with a well skilled character and enough kinetic weapons you can easily ruin high-tech ships. Extended shields is actually really good on it if you spec Technology and have the requisite OP - the AI can do fairly well with it then, but can quickly screw up with a glass cannon setup that a player might use well.

Was wondering if its shield would do with a wider base radius or if the ship should simply be given a tad more HP, its so easy to kill it when it's AI-piloted.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:28:07 AM by Cycerin »

HeliosRX

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 05, 2013, 05:38:21 PM »

I gotta say, I absolute love this mod!

That said, I absolutely loath the changes you've made to the coolest and most useful ship system I've ever run across in Starsector. First, we had the amazing Arc Jet Burner, which I ended up slapping onto any modded ship without a preinstalled ship system because it was so good. Then, you nerfed it to the Burst Maneuvering Jets, which were still really useful and cool (and kind of balanced by the fact that you couldn't steer after reaching maximum momentum). And now it's lost most of its wonderful utility and all of its great lore, since
A) If I recall correctly, It's no longer fueled by shunting flux into an awesome system from the shield generators or something.
B) You can't infinitely coast if you time your acceleration really well.

In my eyes, B) was the primary use for such a ship system and it's what BRDY such a great threat at lower ship tiers. I highly doubt nerfing it was necessary, and now the Desdinova is just 'regular' instead of being a super-speed badass.

Please consider changing the system back. I'm addicted to the faction, so it just kinda sucks when the best ship is nerfed.

Thanks!

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 05, 2013, 07:26:10 PM »

First off I'm really happy that you've played and enjoyed my mod for so long. ;D

Well, the arcjet burner remains - the Gonodactylus is using it. The reason for this is the same as why Enforcers, Onslaughts etc. have Burn Drive and not Tempests - a slow, predictable ship suddenly becoming fast and unpredictable is more fun to play as and against than a fast ship that becomes even faster and thus impossible to avoid. That said, you can assume that the Arc Jet Thrusters for the Desdinova still work in a similar way lore-wise - the ship is built around the engines, after all. If you want a Desdinova with Arcjet Burners, all you have to do is change some stuff in the spreadsheets. ;0 I'd still say the Desdinova is quite far from regular, though - if you want to be a speed monster, you can spec your character accordingly and it is the fastest overall destroyer in the game.

I took out the coasting on the burst jets (it was quite an ordeal to accomplish, given how thrust works in the game) because it's kind of silly to deploy a cruiser first and just bully every single enemy frigate far out of being able to cap any nodes. There needs to be tradeoffs, unfortunately, for things to have balance, but nobody is stopping you from modding my mod to your own tastes. The feature was never intended in the first place, and I didn't realize what people were talking about in the thread until I accidentally discovered it on my own.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:30:24 PM by Cycerin »

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 05, 2013, 09:21:35 PM »

Edit:  Nevermind, I somehow conflated the Sachimodo and Kumaraja.  Looking at them I'd say your redesign is actually generally quite improved.  Though I'm not so sure about the spines poking out of the side.

The Robberfly-class Corvette, a 3fp frigate without a shield, fast and with a highly efficient flare launcher.

Nifty little ship.  I definitely like the hull shape on her.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:44:45 PM by MShadowy »

Alfalfa

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 05, 2013, 11:12:23 PM »

I've been playing around with the Kurmaraja's gravity field code and I've finally come up with something respectable that works closer to actual gravity (or actual reversed gravity that is).

Code
public class GravityField implements ShipSystemStatsScript
{
    private static float FIELD_RANGE = 1000f;
    private static float FIELD_STRENGTH = 0.00000005f;
    private static float FIELD_STRENGTH_CONSTANT = 6f;
    private static float FIELD_STRENGTH_SQUARED = 3f;
    private static boolean MUTUAL_GRAVITY = false;
    private static boolean GRAVITY_PROPORTIONAL_TO_MASS = false;
    private static float PROPORTIONAL_GRAVITY = 0.1f;
    private static float INVERSE_GRAVITY = 10000f;
    private static float DISTANCE_WEIGHT = 1f;
    //private static Color FIELD_COLOR = Color.CYAN;
    private static Color FIELD_COLOR = new Color(142, 112, 248); // some color idk

@Override
    public void apply(MutableShipStatsAPI stats, String id, State state, float effectLevel)
    {
        ShipAPI ship = CombatUtils.getOwner(stats);

if (ship == null)
        {
            return;
        }

Vector2f velocity;
        Vector2f shipvelocity;
        Vector2f gravvelocity = new Vector2f();
        Vector2f direction = new Vector2f();
        Vector2f curlocation;
        Vector2f shiplocation;
        CombatEntityAPI current;
        float curdistance;       
        float gravforce;
        List workdamnit = CombatUtils.getCombatEngine().getProjectiles();
        //workdamnit.addAll(CombatUtils.getCombatEngine().getShips());
        //workdamnit.addAll(CombatUtils.getCombatEngine().getAsteroids());
        for (Iterator iter = CombatUtils.getCombatEngine().getProjectiles().iterator();
                iter.hasNext();)
        {       

current = (CombatEntityAPI) iter.next();
            curdistance = CombatUtils.getDistance(current, ship) * DISTANCE_WEIGHT;

if ((current.getOwner() == ship.getOwner()) || (curdistance > FIELD_RANGE))
            {
                // Don't affect friendly projectiles
                continue;
            }

velocity = current.getVelocity();
            shiplocation = ship.getLocation();
            curlocation = current.getLocation();

if (GRAVITY_PROPORTIONAL_TO_MASS) {
            gravforce = (float) (PROPORTIONAL_GRAVITY * ((ship.getMass() * current.getMass()) / Math.pow(curdistance, 2)));
            }
            else {
            gravforce = (float) (INVERSE_GRAVITY * (ship.getMass() / (Math.pow(curdistance, 2) * current.getMass())));
            }

direction.x = curlocation.x - shiplocation.x;
            direction.y = curlocation.y - shiplocation.y;

gravvelocity.x = gravforce * (direction.x / curdistance);
            gravvelocity.y = gravforce * (direction.y / curdistance);

if (MUTUAL_GRAVITY)
            {
            shipvelocity = ship.getVelocity();
            shipvelocity.set(shipvelocity.x - gravvelocity.x * (current.getMass() / (ship.getMass() + current.getMass())), shipvelocity.y - gravvelocity.y * (current.getMass() / (ship.getMass() + current.getMass())));
            velocity.set(velocity.x + gravvelocity.x * (ship.getMass() / (ship.getMass() + current.getMass())), velocity.y + gravvelocity.y * (ship.getMass() / (ship.getMass() + current.getMass())));
            } else {
            velocity.set(velocity.x + gravvelocity.x, velocity.y + gravvelocity.y);
            }

//velocity.x += gravvelocity.x;
            //velocity.y += gravvelocity.y;

}

for (Iterator iter = CombatUtils.getCombatEngine().getShips().iterator();
        iter.hasNext();)
{       

if (current.getOwner() == ship.getOwner()) {

continue;

}

if (((ShipAPI) current).isFighter())
            {

for (Iterator iter2 = ((ShipAPI)current).getWingMembers().iterator();
                iter2.hasNext();)
        {       

current = (CombatEntityAPI) iter2.next();

if (curdistance > FIELD_RANGE) {

continue;

}

gravforce = (float) (PROPORTIONAL_GRAVITY * ((ship.getMass() * current.getMass()) / Math.pow(curdistance, 2)));
                    }
                    else {
                    gravforce = (float) (INVERSE_GRAVITY * (ship.getMass() / (Math.pow(curdistance, 2) * current.getMass())));
                    }

if (MUTUAL_GRAVITY)
                    {
                    shipvelocity.set(shipvelocity.x - gravvelocity.x * (current.getMass() / (ship.getMass() + current.getMass())), shipvelocity.y - gravvelocity.y * (current.getMass() / (ship.getMass() + current.getMass())));
                    velocity.set(velocity.x + gravvelocity.x * (ship.getMass() / (ship.getMass() + current.getMass())), velocity.y + gravvelocity.y * (ship.getMass() / (ship.getMass() + current.getMass())));
                    } else {
                    }
        }

}

if (curdistance > FIELD_RANGE)
            {
                continue;
            }

}
            else {
            }

if (MUTUAL_GRAVITY)
            {
            } else {
            }             

}

for (Iterator iter = CombatUtils.getCombatEngine().getAsteroids().iterator();
        iter.hasNext();)
{       

if ((current.getOwner() == ship.getOwner()) || (curdistance > FIELD_RANGE))
            {
                continue;
            }

}
            else {
            }           

if (MUTUAL_GRAVITY)
            {
            } else {
            }

}
    }

The replicated portions deal with ships and asteroids, respectively.  I had a more elegant implementation but concatenating the entity lists produced horrific lag.  The constants at the top allow you to modify the effects in various ways.  It's currently set so the force is inversely proportional to an object's mass, counter to how gravity typically functions.  The other way makes capital ships bounce off the field, which looks a bit silly.  I'm a bit tired now so I'll leave it at that.  If anyone is curious about anything regarding this I can answer your questions tomorrow.

Sachumodo looks mean, by the way.  Definitely more in-line with a Paragon or Onslaught than the old one.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 07, 2013, 09:09:32 AM »

Thanks for the appreciation Shadowy! Regarding the Kurma's system, I am of the opinion that there currently isn't anything wrong with it. However I'm talking to LazyWizard about a possible redesign.

Sandremo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 07, 2013, 09:12:31 AM »

/piff (From ragnarok online :P) I want! <3

-Sandremo
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 209