Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What would you like to see in Blackrock?

More ships
- 755 (23.7%)
More weapons
- 481 (15.1%)
More campaign features
- 478 (15%)
Space monsters
- 705 (22.1%)
More lore
- 207 (6.5%)
More music
- 131 (4.1%)
More portraits
- 157 (4.9%)
Subfactions
- 277 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1425

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 209

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards  (Read 1791111 times)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Re: Blackrock Drive Yards - First version release!
« Reply #165 on: December 17, 2012, 11:17:10 AM »

I'm still waiting on a few things before I can push out the new download, unfortunately. I'll PM you when I release it. :)

Axiege

• Admiral
  • What a brave and loving name.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #166 on: December 23, 2012, 06:30:01 AM »

Where'd you go? D:

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 23, 2012, 06:44:51 PM »

To IRLand, to my flat in Finalsville, at Christmas Street. *cough* Gonna try to finish things up between xmas and new year's eve, but the battleship never feels polished enough for my tastes. I also want to implement resupply fleets first.

The longer I wait though, the more balanced and polished things get.

Axiege

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #168 on: December 23, 2012, 07:47:40 PM »

IRL? Where's that  ???
(first time I read that I actually read Ireland...)

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to rush you, definitely understand why things would be more busy, just getting close to running out of material from the first LP D:

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 23, 2012, 08:08:19 PM »

IIRC, IRL = In Real Life

On topic, I'm also looking forward to this.  But no rush; I've got plenty of other things to be doing in the meantime.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Axiege

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #170 on: December 23, 2012, 10:23:53 PM »

IIRC, IRL = In Real Life

You mean, you can just go back to real life? D: (I knew, sarcasm doesn't translate well to text, knowing that hasn't stopped me from trying to use it yet though :P )

I think I may be taking a break for this week anyway for the same reasons, your mod so far is fantastic looking, I wouldn't want you to start rushing and sacrifice the quality.

Also, any chance you'd leak some details on the Kurmaraja? ;D

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 25, 2012, 01:09:11 PM »

Well, it's a battlecruiser. It's fast for its size, and has a respectable ordnance capacity, but it's flimsier and lighter than a full-blown battleship. It's also a major nuisance to ballistic-heavy enemies, because it has a gravity projection field that gradually slows down and stops projectiles, effectively lessening their range and making bomb-using enemies miserable. This field is intended to act as support for the player's fleet. One thing it can do just to give an example, is make sure that other ships have an easier time evading the fire of large enemy battleships, who would otherwise easily outrange smaller vessels.

I'm still working on the balancing of the field, but it's turning out pretty sweet. Making the AI smarter about using it and finding effective limitations will have to come later... right now, it's somewhat hard to avoid it being flat out useless/overpowered, but I want it to feel cool and useful.

Thanks a ton to LazyWizard for making all this work. ;D

Now for something I'd like opinions on: Would you like to see the Nevermore with steering thrusters as a ship system, rather than the Lucifer Generator? I feel like it would be a much cooler, more imposing ship if it was more focused on quickly being able to use its devastating frontal firepower in a new direction. It's not like the AM lance doesn't do a lot of damage already, and the AI is utter crap at using the Lucifer Generator.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 09:34:28 AM by Cycerin »

Axiege

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #172 on: December 25, 2012, 03:18:34 PM »

Those 2 systems are so far opposite each other, I would almost like having 2 versions of the same ship. The Lucifer Generator is a really cool skill-based idea, but I guess it would be better to go with maneuvering thrusters if you can only have one, and the AI is better with that... Imagine if the AI was good at using the Lucifer Generator though...

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 26, 2012, 09:37:15 AM »

I made a custom maneuvering jets system that operates in quick bursts of speed and stores charges like the Phase Skimmer. It REALLY makes the Nevermore much, much more useful and fun to pilot. I might bring back the Lucifer generator concept as a "siege mode" for a long-range destroyer I want to make later on.

But really, things are getting to a point where the faction feels quite polished, and it's more approachable to players too.

The major challenge when doing all this stuff is to avoid breaking the AI.

Axiege

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #174 on: December 26, 2012, 09:44:51 AM »

That does sound fun, turning in quick bursts of speed to quickly re-aim the AM Lance. I was thinking of vanilla maneuvering thrusters before but I like this idea better.

Amazigh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 26, 2012, 02:41:21 PM »

I made a custom maneuvering jets system that operates in quick bursts of speed and stores charges like the Phase Skimmer. It REALLY makes the Nevermore much, much more useful and fun to pilot. I might bring back the Lucifer generator concept as a "siege mode" for a long-range destroyer I want to make later on.
Both of these sound like Really good ideas.
The Siege mode could boost damage, disable Movement, but allow greatly reduced [5-10%] turning [the turning would be to make it easier for the AI to use]
The inability to turn that the Lucifer grants might have been a large part of what made it so hard for the AI to use it.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 27, 2012, 01:15:09 PM »

Desdinova pilots across the galaxy have reported experiencing "significant" joy at the unveiling of the new Arcjet Thrusters. One helm officer reported, "My men will finally stop skinning me about how much those burners got us thrown into Buffalo wrecks and space rocks".
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 09:47:30 PM by Cycerin »

Axiege

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #177 on: December 27, 2012, 02:06:03 PM »

That is really cool, but may I suggest you make the engine trails a bit thicker?

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 27, 2012, 02:13:34 PM »

When the thrusters fire, the engine nozzles contract. Lengthening the engine flames and narrowing them. It looks good in motion.

But I'm going to move the engines a bit further up. I never noticed that gap before I lowered the alpha on the engine flares
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:30:51 PM by Cycerin »

Axiege

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #179 on: December 27, 2012, 02:27:10 PM »

Oooh that does sound even more cool. I especially (already) liked the trails coming out from the sides. Overall I love the aesthetic of the faction.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 209