Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What would you like to see in Blackrock?

More ships
- 754 (23.7%)
More weapons
- 480 (15.1%)
More campaign features
- 477 (15%)
Space monsters
- 705 (22.1%)
More lore
- 207 (6.5%)
More music
- 131 (4.1%)
More portraits
- 157 (4.9%)
Subfactions
- 277 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1424

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 209

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards  (Read 1790432 times)

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Blackrock Drive Yards - First version release!
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2012, 01:43:24 PM »

If it launches plates of armor off your ship as projectiles, that'd be impractical, but awesome as hell.

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2012, 01:48:14 PM »

That Sprite is phenomenal. All my Kudos. ALL OF THEM.
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2012, 02:22:34 PM »

Anti-Energy Armor?  Energy magnification?

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »

Wouldn't it be neat if those plates would replace themselves, like a regenerative armour? Kind of how sharks get their teeth replaced.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2012, 02:26:56 PM »

Wouldn't it be neat if those plates would replace themselves, like a regenerative armour? Kind of how sharks get their teeth replaced.

So basically it channels aperture science?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2012, 03:56:51 PM »

Well, due to engine limitations, the ones we see in the screenshot can't be drones or weapons - too many slightly different panel graphics, plus if they were weapons, that'd be a nightmare to set weapon groups when tinkering with ship variants.

That said, I could see them as the on-ship representation of a set of (probably regenerating) shield / ablative armor drones - things that, when launched, orbit around your ship and provide some extra defense by just being in the way.

The best alternative I can come up with is that it's some sort of superweapon (EMP of dooom!) or maneuverability booster; imagine hitting 'f' and having every single hexagon light up with an engine flare...
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2012, 04:27:04 AM »

I'm thinking either a Beehive barrier shield, Phasing out an opposing ship, or some sort of swarm weapon
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 07, 2012, 04:39:39 AM »

a massive missle launcher which can fire once every battle. each one of the hexagons will fire one small missle.
probaply the game will lag as hell ,but wo cares about that when everything dies.
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Lordzias

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2012, 06:11:29 AM »

Escape pods.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2012, 09:25:02 AM »

Ya, i'm going to have to go with some kind of armor... UPDATE!!!  :P

Kaitol

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2012, 06:07:11 PM »

Given the name and appearance, its clearly an ultimate defensive system. Given how little you can screw with armor currently, I'm also supposing its shield based. Perhaps it a creates an invisible drone or drones that have their own massive shields to fake extra shield systems? Or is it more like the fortress shield system? I imagine given your track record its something relatively unique and customized to the specific ship.

Perhaps an invulnerability shield that disables weapons? Or is that too simple... a shield that reflects projectiles? (is that even possible in the engine?)

It could be an anti-missile system, but that seems too narrow for an overall defensive ship....

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2012, 06:13:22 PM »

I'm going to guess it's some kind of "hull polarisation" system, similar to the fortress shield, but differs in the fact that its damage resistance buff is attributed to the ship's hull/armour

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2012, 09:18:32 PM »

It's been a bit more than a day since I posted the ship, so I'm going to end the "contest" here. Many of you either had really good ideas, really good ideas that are (to my knowledge) impossible (unless you are LazyWizard, maybe?) but I still got a ton of free good ideas

Anyway:
The best alternative I can come up with is that it's some sort of superweapon (EMP of dooom!)
Wyvern wins, because of his suspicion that it's related to some sort of energy emitter system. It's going to be that, or if it turns out unsatisfactory, or I get coding help, I'm going to try for some sort of novel defensive system instead. (Kaitol touched upon some of those ideas, specifically the reflective shield, but I figured it's mechanically impossible too, so)

Wyvern, if you want that Dota 2 invite, send me your steam ID or mail address on PM. Woo! EDIT: Wyvern doesn't want the invite. You know what, I'll give away all three, all my peeps already play the game anyway. Three first to PM me get invites.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 09:51:34 PM by Cycerin »

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2012, 05:06:43 AM »

Im releasing a new version of the Star Control mod later today, check out the system weapon on the ship Probe is using and see if you like it.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2012, 09:16:14 AM »

Hmm, after I asked Alex about EMP with multiple points of origin, I have reconsidered. If I can get help with the coding, I'm going to make a reflective shield instead (which is apparently possible to make now). Considering to release the mod with a temporary ship system on the Kurma for the time being.

Spoiler

[close]
Anyway, I made a custom engine style for the faction. Also, that's the new Solenoid Quench Gun, a long-range weapon that murders incoming fighters/missiles at low transversal velocities and offers constant, accurate harassment to lightly armored targets.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 209