Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What would you like to see in Blackrock?

More ships
- 755 (23.7%)
More weapons
- 481 (15.1%)
More campaign features
- 478 (15%)
Space monsters
- 705 (22.1%)
More lore
- 207 (6.5%)
More music
- 131 (4.1%)
More portraits
- 157 (4.9%)
Subfactions
- 277 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1425

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 209

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards  (Read 1790708 times)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Re: Blackrock Drive Yards - First version release!
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2012, 12:30:02 PM »

Also, how did you manage to get the sprites to work properly? I can't seem to get mine right ._.

Haha, thanks! Its cool to put all the ships I made back then to use. What do you mean by sprites? Are we talking Battleships Forever here, or implementing ships in Starfarer?

Meanwhile:

I actually have two huge Blackrock ships from my BSF days, but I decided to implement this one first because it has a better layout for putting down hardpoints.

As for the other one:

(Guest starring the ship that would become the Scarab)

Piroton

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2012, 02:47:55 PM »

I'd really like to get my stuff implemented into Starfarer as a mod too, so any help you could give me about this would be really appreciated.

Is that a BSF Metagame 1 loadout I see there on your ship? :D
(I used to participate in that too, as guilee186)

But hot dang, that is amazing colourwork you've done there.

calvin1211

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2012, 07:03:04 AM »

IIRC the BDY ships were in the BSF metagame 1. Though I've never seen the Sachumodo before.
And damm, Cyc, these are really good. The editing makes them fit really well into Starfarer's art style.

Vensalir

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2012, 12:50:45 PM »

Just tried out your mod and.. Well, I'll just be blunt.

SO MUCH WIN !

Beautiful sprites, balanced ships and sniping frigates with the AM lance is pure pleasure. Excellent sound effects, too ! Can't wait to see more  ;D

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2012, 01:32:56 PM »

Is that a BSF Metagame 1 loadout I see there on your ship? :D
(I used to participate in that too, as guilee186)

Damn, I didn't know there were still people around who remember that. All the stuff we did out of love for that game... (and all the huge bloated projects that died before they could take off)

Piroton/guilee, go read the tutorials in the sticky! That's basically what I did, then I downloaded Trylobot's ship editor and messed around with it until it worked. And if you're going to clean up BSF screenshots in photoshop, make sure you set a pure white background first so its easy for photoshop/gimp to select and remove it.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2012, 03:34:31 PM »

Gee, I didn't know the Gods themselves made threads on Starfarer!
Whats that? You're not a God?
Haha! You kidder! :)
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2012, 12:43:35 AM »

Finally made some time to play this last night, and can't really add anything much other than has already been said.

I love the Desdinova, got a chance to have a spin with this thing in the Simulator (I didn't summon the spirit to take on the 'hard' mission). And yeah, the squall cannon is really cool but possibly a bit OP in its current incarnation.

The Nevermore is super, super cool. I love the lucifer thingy and it feels very cool to pop an overloading Tempest in conjunction with the antimatter cannon. I probably won't be able to do that again in a hurry.

I might suggest dropping the ammo count on the cannon, as I never felt as if my ammo was ever really limited. The way I was using the ship, firing and then backing off a bit, with the ammo recharge rate as it is I was never below 3 on this. Maybe if it was nudged down to 3 you would feel slightly more precious about using it, and would add a bit of a 'do I or don't I' feel to firing the thing.

I don't need to say it but I will anyway, the sprites, sounds, and effects are awesome.

Also I felt the variants on the Gondactylus were a bit sub-optimal. Not sure the bank of 3 vulcans is a sensible choice (one alone would provide decent PD and still cover the same general area, freeing up the other two points for perhaps a different role) and 3 autocannons (as opposed to 3 dual autocannons) would be significantly more flux efficient with perhaps a small drop in effectiveness, giving 6 OP to play with elsewhere.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Piroton

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2012, 01:39:30 AM »

Damn, I didn't know there were still people around who remember that. All the stuff we did out of love for that game... (and all the huge bloated projects that died before they could take off)

Piroton/guilee, go read the tutorials in the sticky! That's basically what I did, then I downloaded Trylobot's ship editor and messed around with it until it worked. And if you're going to clean up BSF screenshots in photoshop, make sure you set a pure white background first so its easy for photoshop/gimp to select and remove it.
Even then, your shipmaking skills were far beyond a couple of notches above mine. Mine still look cluttered. Also, I still miss all the crazy designs we submitted for the metagame, and all our bloated projects (which took forever to move forward)

Haha, I'm trying this out now. I must say, I don't have anywhere near the patience or the kind of photoshop skills you have, so this is going to get really bumpy, seeing as school commitments keep me from having too much free time or the drive to work on independent projects.

Also, for some weird reason the Metagame shipmaker arcalane built for us doesn't seem to want to accept my white background.
Makes me kinda sad, so I've had to make do with substandard wine-red.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2012, 05:44:30 AM »

Finally made some time to play this last night, and can't really add anything much other than has already been said. [...]

Valuable feedback though, I concur on many points you raised, and I have some ideas already for upcoming changes.

Also I felt the variants on the Gondactylus were a bit sub-optimal. Not sure the bank of 3 vulcans is a sensible choice (one alone would provide decent PD and still cover the same general area, freeing up the other two points for perhaps a different role) and 3 autocannons (as opposed to 3 dual autocannons) would be significantly more flux efficient with perhaps a small drop in effectiveness, giving 6 OP to play with elsewhere.

Well, feel free to post some alternative variants if you can make them work. In my experience, 3x duals with the ammo feeder active just made my Gonoes unable to keep their flux in check in a straight firefight, and the vulcans make the ship basically immune to missiles while providing some of the most ridiculous anti-hull damage in the game. Not only that, but they eat drones and fighters alive. That's the thinking behind the kit, at least.

Also, just as an aside, it was your Dugong that gave me the inspiration to make an asymmetrical ship.

To be honest I had difficulties coming up with good fits for the ship because of how erratically the AI is prone to acting if it gets too much room for interpretation. :D

Quote from: Piroton
Also, for some weird reason the Metagame shipmaker arcalane built for us doesn't seem to want to accept my white background.
Makes me kinda sad, so I've had to make do with substandard wine-red.

Are you sure you saved it as a .bmp? I dont think Shipmaker will accept anything else for backgrounds.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2012, 05:54:18 AM »

Well, feel free to post some alternative variants if you can make them work.

Yeah, I'll have a play about. To be honest I'm not going off too much evidence on this, didn't get a chance to watch them very closely (too frightened about everything else that was going on  :D).

It's probably more based on 'what I would have done'.

I'll see if I can have a play and offer something more constructive - or perhaps even rescind my statement :)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2012, 08:27:15 AM »

That would be awesome. Play my mod more. Play it... FOREVER.

Working on a phase ship, the Nadir.

The phase coils are different from the ones we are used to, because they are built into a bigger surface area of the ship. I'm just working on making the ship look more like it's built around those coils, and on connecting it all into one big "circuit". Basically digging grooves into the ship. Ingame it looks ok so far but I'm far from finished.

Paint job's also going to be darker but I'm leaving that for when the phase coils and hardpoints and all that jazz are nice and finished.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 08:31:33 AM by Cycerin »

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2012, 08:46:05 AM »

Cycerin you're on a level above. Top-notch work all around. I have only (admittedly useless, to you) positive feedback regarding the playability of the missions you've released so far, and the ship designs are wicked cool.

Rule of cool forever!

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2012, 08:55:41 AM »

Thanks, man! I couldn't have done it without your incredible ship editor.

Rule of cool forever!

This basically summarizes everything I try to do here.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2012, 09:01:04 AM »

Well, rule of cool definitely works for a lot of things, heh.  Nice work on the Nadir.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2012, 02:33:19 PM »

DAMMIT DYSPRAXIA
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 209