Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What would you like to see in Blackrock?

More ships
- 757 (23.6%)
More weapons
- 483 (15.1%)
More campaign features
- 481 (15%)
Space monsters
- 707 (22.1%)
More lore
- 209 (6.5%)
More music
- 132 (4.1%)
More portraits
- 157 (4.9%)
Subfactions
- 278 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1430

Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 209

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards  (Read 1802531 times)

Alphascrub

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2a] Blackrock Drive Yards v0.8.2
« Reply #2265 on: March 21, 2016, 10:28:34 PM »

Feedback; IMN Assault Gun, Volley Gun, Shard Cannon & Gun
(Yea I know I'm super late to the party)

IMN Assault Gun.

Pros: The three shot burst of the weapon delivers a certain level of control that can be effective when firing at specific locations on a ship. Its also very cheap to buy and doesn't require a large amount of op to mount.

Cons: This damage seems a little weak. It generates huge amounts of flux, its very ineffective vs shields (I understand its intended to be) and for its flux generation its damage seems anemic. I found it hard hitting base hounds and cerbs in a simulator environment and in the actual game many other weapons seem to be more effective in its role as a non-shielded target strike weapon.

Conclusion: I won't use these guns when almost anything else is available. I might be using them incorrectly but overall other weapons seem to do it better and with less management.

Volley Gun

Pros: High burst vs shields, low flux generation, easy to use and just overall really satisfying. When uses in large numbers (3-5) they are extremely effective at overloading shields of frigates and destroyers and even much large variants of ships given enough time.

Cons: Cool-down time, Weak against armor and lowish range but honestly if these factors didn't exists they wouldn't be very balanced.

Conclusion: This thing acts exactly like a space shotgun should, its short ranged, highly effective at overwhelming static target shields and they have a slow firerate to compensate. I like these a lot and when it comes to strike frigates or small swarming ships they are hard to ignore in both the refit screen and when used against a medium sized target with large numbers. Personally I love setting locust swarms up armed with these. Give me five locusts and with two volley guns and sunjet each and there isn't a destroyer in the system that shouldn't be worried (unless maybe your a Templar but those guys are just op). I would be really excited to see a medium mount variant of this weapon but I also understand it would probably be pretty problematic to balance.

Shard Cannons/Guns

Pros: Great vs shields, easy to control, decent projectile speed, primary a kinetic weapon but has a nice effect vs armor. Moderate Op cost.

Cons: Moderate Flux generation, Burst weapon (Cannon), Low range (Gun). Again these cons are what balance this weapon.

Conclusion: This is a great all around and flexible weapon, these are my go to ballistic anti shield weapons in a lot of situations. They can be uses on frigates quite effectively as a primary dps weapon and in a pinch is can be a very decent PD weapon even if you aren't the one behind the controls. Overall I think one of the biggest strong points of this weapon is that it really doesn't have very many weak-points and its a pretty decent jack of all trades. If anything it might be to strong at times.

(Shard) Guns to Cannon comparison. The gun is a automatic short range weapon, like a submachine gun minus any sort of inaccuracy or ammo limit. This thing was made for DPS.  The Cannon has the range and more burst and is better fitted on your slower more heavy small ships. Basically if your small and fast like a Mantis or a Locust you probably want the shard gun but if your slower and not quite as nimble (like a Weevil) you probably want a shard cannon. Overall I find myself very attached to the gun more than the cannon but that just me.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: March 22, 2016, 01:31:41 AM »

^ i agree with pretty much everything.

not a huge fan of the IMN, but then i'm also not really a fan of the vanilla small HE ballistic weapons either.

i find VG is especially great against very maneuverable enemies, or on your own ships that have trouble hitting targets while strafing at high speeds, since it's almost impossible to straight up miss whatever you're shooting at.

SG/SC are just straight up my favorite small ballistic weapons. SG has poor range and SC has poor efficiency, but their unique combination of kinetic damage with anti-armor procc makes them ideal as primary weapons for ships that don't really have enough weapon mounts to get powerful kinetic weapons and HE weapons at the same time, and punishes enemies on high flux for lowering their shield, even if there isn't any HE damage ready to follow-up. plus, their shot and explosion SFX somehow just feel incredibly satisfying. ^_^

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: March 22, 2016, 06:03:06 AM »

I prefer to use Light Assault Gun to IMN for OP cost alone.  IMN is basically a LAG that costs 1 more OP.

I do not remember why I do not use Volley Gun.  I suppose Volley Gun is ballistic's answer to AM Blaster.  If I use ballistics, I want to kite so that ships do not get shot at.  The best defense is never getting shot back in the first place because the enemy cannot do so.  OP is at a premium for smaller ships.

Shard <xxx>.  One of them has short range, possibly comparable to IR Pulse Laser.  I consider that one useless (although I have not tried it lately since Safety Override was introduced).  The one with 700 range is great, and I use it instead of railgun when accuracy is less of a concern, or my ship is stuck with kinetics and need the criticals to do more armor damage.  For example, Morpehus has four light slots.  Only kinetics have 700 range.  I mount the shard weapons on Morpehus for anti-everything.  I prefer railgun slightly over the shard weapon due to better accuracy, but sometimes, the shard weapon is more useful (criticals, no windup).  The 700 range shard weapon is one of the relatively few Blackrock weapons that compete with the best standard weapons.

When I play Blackrock, I almost ignore Blackrock weapons in favor of standard weapons (or other mods' if they are more overpowered).  So far, I have not combined Blackrock with other mods, except in Exerelin long ago when Blackrock was eliminated early (no chance to fight them much).

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: March 22, 2016, 07:02:30 AM »

Fully agree on INM with Megas.

Volley gun was good (ok, maybe too good) pre nerf at around 100/200 cost/dps. But at 140/160 for 9 OP it's just not worth using. Many kinetic weapons bring similar efficiency at better range for less OP. Burst factor alone is not a sufficient compensation. Plus it's horrible against armor (low dmg projectiles spread out over large area) and produces very short overloads.

Shard Cannon is one of best weapons for small ballistic slot, suitable pretty much anywhere.
Shard gun is ok for AI use on fast frigates that have problems with accuracy due to their own movement during Cannon burst.

When playing Blackrock, I tend to just stack as many shard cannons (small and med) as I can + argus beams for pd. Heavy maulers as optional HE.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: March 22, 2016, 07:50:39 AM »

Thanx for all the feedback, nice to get it in such detail.

I've been planning on redoing the INM AG for a while, but I think I might just push it forward for the next patch, instead of procrastinating. Basically, what I want to do is give it an ammo mechanic, and then give it excellent performance during bursts, offset by anemic DPS while firing on full auto for extended time. Basically the perfect hit'n'run version of the LAG, but with the added bonus of pounding anything into dust if you have many enough/added ability to punish overloads or venting.

I think the Volley Gun is in a good spot right now. I might shave off some flux/fire to make it better on frigs again, but I don't want to touch it otherwise.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 07:56:57 AM by Cycerin »

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: March 22, 2016, 08:16:32 AM »

I mostly go with Megas on the volley gun. However, if I ever have a Desdinova, I will load that thing up with volley guns for maximum anti-shield lulz.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: March 22, 2016, 10:51:58 AM »

I would have put needlers on Morpheus, except I discovered that four needlers took too much OP away from other things I needed more, either ITU or flux stats (capacity and/or vents) needed to support the main gun.  Thus, for anti-shield, it was either railgun or shard cannon for my Morpheus.

Morpheus with max skills is crazy strong.  It can solo any standard fleet single-handedly (but not multiple endgame fleets in a huge expanded battle).

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: March 22, 2016, 03:56:58 PM »

Crab 2.0

Abyz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: March 22, 2016, 04:24:32 PM »

:o

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: March 22, 2016, 04:32:27 PM »

Now she looks a lot more like a real battleship, thick heavy armor all around.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: March 23, 2016, 12:28:48 AM »

Looks pretty sweet, and less visually busy than the previous Karkinos to boot. A lot of mod ships look great, but they often have so much greebling it can be hard to tell what their weapons load-out is at a glance.

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: March 23, 2016, 12:30:33 AM »

Very nice!

Biggest plus of the new look - it doesn't look like a butterfly anymore.
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: March 23, 2016, 02:44:36 AM »

looks great! and heavier, with better armor-plating and fewer exposed components. like ValkyriaL said, more befitting a real battleship.

only critizism i've got is that it lost a little of that "there is powerful, destructive dimensional-energy-anomaly-stuff barely contained inside this ship" feeling. the green exhaust port thingies look a bit too much like just fancy green lights, particularly the ones at the front. and the shine of what i assume is the central flux core that is illuminating the surrounding area seems weaker.

well, and i personally prefer the silverish grey over the brownish grey, but that's obviously completely subjective. i do like that your recent sprites seem to have a more noticeable and consistent color sheme, though. :]

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: March 23, 2016, 12:48:28 PM »

Hmm, I hear you on that. I still need to do some tweaking anyway.

Ceebees

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: March 23, 2016, 03:39:12 PM »

Looking very nice indeed.

Although, i was thinking that with the changes, it might still be neat to give SS+'s IBB a legacy kark - particularly if it was, say, a quad-mjolnir build with a twitchier Sanguine Decivilizer. Call it 'Thor' maybe  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 209