Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What would you like to see in Blackrock?

More ships
- 757 (23.6%)
More weapons
- 483 (15.1%)
More campaign features
- 481 (15%)
Space monsters
- 707 (22.1%)
More lore
- 209 (6.5%)
More music
- 132 (4.1%)
More portraits
- 157 (4.9%)
Subfactions
- 278 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1430

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 209

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards  (Read 1803069 times)

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards v0.8.0
« Reply #1890 on: December 11, 2015, 10:24:21 AM »

I had to cheat it in (removed 400k from my bank while I did it to be a little fair) because I couldn't find one and really wanted to try it out. Upgraded from a Desdinova.

Well, what can I say, the ship delivers. Bounties that I had a lot of trouble with the Desd are now much, much easier. Reminds me of the earlier days of the Imaginos. It is also surprisingly tough, I got in situations that I was sure I was going to end up dead but they didn't even take half the hull, I guess the Nano armor really is doing wonders.

I'm running it with SO too, not sure if it is wise but it is how I'm running pretty much every ship that isn't a cruiser. The slots are used up by two AM Blasters on the front and two missile mounts on the far sides (Harpoons at the moment, but will upgrade to Clarents since I'm running Templars).

I don't use the laser a lot though. I mean, it's good, but the homing lasers are so effective that I can take targets from a distance without risking myself (though the 50% resistance is very helpful). I even installed that prism system to increase the range of the beam but I still use it sparingly.

I also got it at a high level already (~40) so I'm unsure how it fares at lower levels, but then again it will always take some good time to find this ship.

Overall the ship delivers in what I've come to expect from BRDY: a fun and different playstyle.
Doesn't SO reduce weapon range drastically though?

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: December 11, 2015, 10:24:27 AM »

On a different note, anyone tried the Morpheus yet?

it is the most anime thing about BRDY.

and that's saying something.

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: December 11, 2015, 10:25:45 AM »

Doesn't SO reduce weapon range drastically though?

Any range over 400 gets curbed not much further past it.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

Zenobious

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: December 11, 2015, 10:28:27 AM »

On a different note, anyone tried the Morpheus yet?
Like Cyan Leader I cheated it in just to try it out.

It's pretty cool. At first I was worried about taking too many hits since it lacks shields, but the nano-armor keeps it going strong as long as you can finish fights quickly before they get through to your hull. The shield-replacement projectile-sucker thing is very fun to use; I like that it gets more effective the more enemies you have on the screen and the more dangerous the fight is. That encourages risky gameplay which might otherwise be avoided by just spamming the long-range LFO beams (which look awesome, by the way). It feels great being able to jump in to save a crippled friendly from an enemy's finishing shots by sucking up their fire!

Like Cyan I found the main beam-cannon a bit underwhelming, and only really used it as a finisher on crippled ships while the LFOs were reloading. The wind-up time and short range compared to the LFOs (which appear to travel much farther than their stated range -- not sure if this is intentional or if I am miscalculating things?) make it less useful in combat.

Also, the slip drive feels pretty weak. It's not *bad* but it feels much less powerful than even the default maneuvering jets on many vanilla ships or other ones in the BRDY fleet, like the Desdinova. I was imagining something more like those when I first flew it, and was a bit disappointed when I tried it out. It's not that the Morpheus needs a better maneuvering drive to be a good ship, as it is excellent already; more that it seems like a stylistic mismatch when the top-of-the-line prototype's booster is less effective than those on "normal" ships. As it seems like a larger version of the Imaginos, I was expecting something more like the smaller ship's system.

Overall though, very fun to fly. As this is my first post on the forums I should congratulate you on making such a great mod that it makes me want to join and post just to review your ships!  ;D

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: December 11, 2015, 10:54:33 AM »

I cannot run Blackrock normally anymore.  I can run it in devmode, though.  I guess I will need to try 64-bit java someday, but I am not done playing with standard yet, and I have sidelined other stuff doing so.

I checked missions for Morpheus.  After trying it, my first impressions is that it may be a kiting cheese machine.  I had no problem killing a stock Onslaught with an unskilled Morpheus.  The LFOs may seem abusive.  They hurt quite a bit, and they hit for hard flux damage on shields.  I have considered just hanging back and spam LFOs until the shield is ready to overload, then move in for the kill.  Maybe LFOs shots could hit for soft flux only; they are thematically beams.  (Technically, I bet they are invisible missiles that leave a bright ribbon trail.)

The main laser (void buster?) is powerful, but I did not use it much, due to short range and reduced mobility.  I mostly spammed LFOs and the variant rejector.

It will be a while before I can test a fully skilled Morpheus and see how it really stacks with other skilled ships.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: December 11, 2015, 11:04:31 AM »

Agreed with the Slip Drive note, maneuverability wise it seemed like a sizable downgrade when I moved from the Desdinova (and other early ships for that matter). I have a feeling it is better at changing momentum but it is overall less useful.

Also I need to say something about both the Desdi and the Morpheus,

They spin.

Oh god they spin.

If you take an unlucky hit close to your back, be it a Salamander that slipped by or a fighter wing with EMP fire, you are done. They get very hard to control and spin absurdly fast, killing your positioning and 90% of the time ensuring a loss. Is this intended? Maybe it is an SO thing.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: December 11, 2015, 11:54:48 AM »

Thanks for all the comprehensive feedback, wow. This is soooo useful.

Some points:

- The Slip Jets are indeed more situational than Arc Jet Thrusters. This is intentional, as I wanted to make it involve more effort to kite in the Morpheus. Note that if you turn 90 degrees and strafe away, you can still back away like with normal Burst Jets. The Slip Jets' advantage over standard Burst Jets is the near instant speed change and nearly inertialess maneuvering. "Pound for pound", it's a more powerful system than Burst Jets, especially because you are impossible to hit with torpedoes or slow shots while you still have charges (Can always dodge)
A big reason why it feels less powerful is probably because charges regen slower than on the Desdinova. Probably going to bring it up a tiny bit.

Thematically, the Imaginos and Karkinos use Dimensional Engines to power ship systems while the Nevermore needs it for the AM Lance. The Morpheus uses it for the weapons, and instead has Slip Jets, a more "practical" solution. It would be too much bullsh*t even for BRDY to have one ship capable of all that. :P

- Arclight LFO... probably too powerful. Megas you bring up a good point with the soft flux, I'll see what I can do. I dont want the ship to be about kiting, I want it to be about tearing things up with the Void Buster, and managing the Arclight LFO's ammo to annihilate smaller targets or provide on-demand burst.

- Void Buster is fine, I think - it gives you a flat 50% damage resistance while firing and does almost 1k damage per second. With it, you can get into slugfests against HE damage and win, something which is impossible in an Imaginos. Still, I guess I'll bring it up a bit with a tiny DPS boost since I'm adjusting the LFOs down.

As this is my first post on the forums I should congratulate you on making such a great mod that it makes me want to join and post just to review your ships!  ;D

Haha, thanks a lot! Welcome to the forums.

If you take an unlucky hit close to your back, be it a Salamander that slipped by or a fighter wing with EMP fire, you are done. They get very hard to control and spin absurdly fast, killing your positioning and 90% of the time ensuring a loss. Is this intended? Maybe it is an SO thing.

This is an extreme version of what happens to a Hound when you shoot out one engine. It's just a perk of how the game is coded and I can't really do much about it. However, if you don't try to move after half your engines get knocked out, you won't spin either.

I guess engines that are only activated by systems shouldn't count for this. I'll ask Alex if it can be changed.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: December 11, 2015, 12:48:57 PM »

Good changes, I'd love to see some buffs to the beam but the ship is powerful enough as is.

But maybe you could take the current stats and increase them a bit and have a boss ship variant? If there is one thing BRDY is sorely missing is boss ships for SS+.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: December 11, 2015, 01:25:25 PM »

I would probably build the Morpheus toward long range spam of LFOs and maybe other stuff.  Without skills, I did not bother looking for ways to abuse sniping.  However, despite poor DPS, LFOs are burst-y and effective enough to hang back and kite as if armed with homing HVDs.  I would certainly add Advanced Optics (and the obligatory ITU) to extend Void Buster and attack from afar when I can.

Morpheus seems much sturdier than Imaginos.  If I take damage, I will back off and let armor regenerate.  Actually, I did just that against my test fight with an Onslaught.  Combined with other Morpheus features, Onslaught did not have much of a chance.

Morpheus sort of reminds me of the Orz Nemesis (from Star Control 2).

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: December 11, 2015, 03:48:33 PM »

i've only tested the Morpheus in the simulator/mission, but i mostly agree with what has been said already. bringing Arclight LFOs down a bit to reduce long range / kiting capabilites and maybe improving the Void Buster a bit to compensate sounds like a good idea.
Slip Jets seem fine to me as they are. while i do feel that (even with their advantages) they are a bit less useful / powerful than Burst/Arc Jets, i don't think that's a bad thing. there are enough BRDY ships with those already, and i like that the Morpheus has a system that allows some quick combat maneuvers without making it quite as easy to disengage or kite.

overall, i like the Morpheus a lot. the Imaginos always seemed really cool, but in reality, i just lack the skill (or practise?) to pilot it effectively. ^^
the Morpheus has the same kind of unique and flashy high-tech fireworks that favor being in the thick of a large battle and that can (more so than player piloted ships in general) single-handedly turn said battle in your favor, but without the constant risk of loosing the incredibly rare and expensive ship to any small carelessness or misjudgement. i don't know if that means the ship is actually op, but it definitely is a lot of fun to use!

one thing i would like to see improved is the feedback for when the Scalar Repulsor comes off cooldown. the current cues look and sound very nice, but neither of them is easily noticeable during combat, especially with stuff like the Void Buster firing at the time. maybe something visible at the back of the ship (where Void Buster + ShaderLib doesn't mask everything glowy) would help.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 03:50:30 PM by Sy »

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: December 11, 2015, 04:02:52 PM »

^What I'll probably do is just draw a small indicator pip, like the ones used in Exigency and Templars. I've been meaning to do that for a while, but I always forget.

Tenative changes:

Arclight LFO: Charge regen rate decreased to 0,125 from 0,15, damage decreased by 10, flight time decreased by 2 seconds (Range now approximates the given one, ~1100 units)
  Void Buster: Damage per second increased by 50
  Slip Jets: Charge regen increased to 0.10 from 0.09

As for whether or not the Morpheus is OP, I feel quite comfortable that it isn't, given that it has a price tag and upkeep investment just short of a capital ship, but features the CR timer of a frigate, and a nasty 40% CR per deployment. Taking hull damage in a Morpheus is a nice way to make fighting unprofitable.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 04:07:10 PM by Cycerin »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: December 11, 2015, 06:18:04 PM »

Quick question: Are we going to get a modular version of the LFO?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: December 11, 2015, 11:56:27 PM »

Played with it, found more or less what others did: LFOs are great, Void Buster needs more time in the limelight. Toying with the LFOs got me rebalancing the support missiles on something of mine (extra-bursty seems to work well; very low recharge/reload rates are a good balancing mechanism for built-ins).

Slip Jets are really interesting. I enjoy the synergy of them with the Void Buster particularly, it's a very different piloting headspace.

(I dunno about modular LFOs, but I would really love a Medium Scalaron Pulse Launcher.)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 11:58:41 PM by Soren »

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: December 12, 2015, 12:46:07 AM »

^What I'll probably do is just draw a small indicator pip, like the ones used in Exigency and Templars. I've been meaning to do that for a while, but I always forget.
sounds good!
As for whether or not the Morpheus is OP, I feel quite comfortable that it isn't, given that it has a price tag and upkeep investment just short of a capital ship, but features the CR timer of a frigate, and a nasty 40% CR per deployment. Taking hull damage in a Morpheus is a nice way to make fighting unprofitable.
mhm. it's great that there are so many stats and mechanics in starsector for that sort of balancing, that allow ships that are incredibly powerful for their size in direct combat without making all other ships obsolete. :]

(I dunno about modular LFOs, but I would really love a Medium Scalaron Pulse Launcher.)
+1

zoe_zucchini

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: December 12, 2015, 09:20:25 AM »

Cycerin, have you considered buffing the nevermore 00's raze cannon in some fashion? I was messing around with it last night, and it wasn't a very fun weapon to use at all. Not very flashy, the projectile was far too slow, damage felt pretty anemic considering how sluggish the projectile went(not to mention the range felt like such overkill when I struggled to hit anything smaller than a battleship, and I'd like to think I'm decent enough at the game after 3 years), and I felt like I was focusing way too much on actually being able to hit things with it and not on all the pretty explosions and ships.

I know it's not necessarily meant to be a serious top tier ship but I brought the projectile speed up to 950 to put it between the gale & extended gale cannons and it feels a lot funner & more natural to fly, like a larger scale version of running a mantis with an extended gale cannon.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 209