Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What would you like to see in Blackrock?

More ships
- 757 (23.6%)
More weapons
- 483 (15.1%)
More campaign features
- 481 (15%)
Space monsters
- 707 (22.1%)
More lore
- 209 (6.5%)
More music
- 132 (4.1%)
More portraits
- 157 (4.9%)
Subfactions
- 278 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1430

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 209

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards  (Read 1801577 times)

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.2a] Blackrock Drive Yards v0.6.6 - Updated!
« Reply #1305 on: October 19, 2014, 09:12:22 AM »

Could you please include the sensor/ autoaim boost that the sentinel drone gives its host ship in the shipsystem description?

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: October 22, 2014, 04:17:32 AM »

I'll do that.

Alright, in wake of the new core game content I'm having to rethink a few things about where I want to take this entire business. Mainly I'm scrapping the two-faction idea and just having the only faction be Blackrock Drive Yards the megacorporation. As soon as I actually get stuff running in-game again, I'll think about how to set up a meaningful economy as well. There'll probably be an independent and pirate holdout in Gneiss at the very least. I might also add Solace, the second BRDY system, sooner than I thought.

The new custom campaign entities will certainly allow me to make Gneiss a much more interesting system. Eventually, systems near Gneiss and potentially some other places will trade in a few custom commodities as well.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: October 22, 2014, 10:35:34 AM »

Make sure to add opposing vanilla faction stations in BRDY systems so we can have an easier time raising the reputation. I'm playing the campaign right now and I wanted to raise the Tri-Tacyon's reputation by destroying Church fleets, but unfortunately since there isn't a single system where they are both present that turned out to be very hard to do, I had to settle by attacking the Hegemony instead since they share a system.

Alphascrub

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: October 24, 2014, 10:14:08 AM »

Make sure to add opposing vanilla faction stations in BRDY systems so we can have an easier time raising the reputation. I'm playing the campaign right now and I wanted to raise the Tri-Tacyon's reputation by destroying Church fleets, but unfortunately since there isn't a single system where they are both present that turned out to be very hard to do, I had to settle by attacking the Hegemony instead since they share a system.

I concur with this. Considering the amount of ships that each factions spawn now per system I don't think it would be to big of a deal to have a multiple enemy factions for BRD to deal with. Especially considering that A) pirates like to pirate equally from everyone and B) Tri-tachyon and BRD seem to have a very violent past. Also obviously church *** no like space scientists , obvious enemies of BRD.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:34:59 AM by Alphascrub »

Aklyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: October 24, 2014, 11:18:04 AM »

I also agree.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: October 24, 2014, 01:39:42 PM »

That's been the plan for a long time. Actually, in Uomoz' Sector there has always been a pirate base in Gneiss, I just completely forgot that it's only in USS...

The campaign layer is going to recieve a lot of attention going forward.

Guess what the Blackrock logo symbolizes. Hint: it's an orbital object.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: October 24, 2014, 04:55:47 PM »

Is it a Hyperion Orbital Bombardment Station? :P

But yeah, it's probably a station.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: October 25, 2014, 01:21:56 AM »

Of course it's an orbital station, what else?

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: October 25, 2014, 06:04:16 PM »

Spoiler
Orbital mirror. For terraforming. Part of the faction's past, now abstractified so much it's just become a logo.
[close]

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: October 26, 2014, 06:08:25 AM »

Are you sure it's not a black rock?  :D

Luna

• Commander
  • Want some water?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: October 28, 2014, 05:13:56 PM »

Perhaps the orbital mirror is BASED off a big black rock! :O
Consider fully automatic Russian roulette

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: November 01, 2014, 05:46:39 PM »

Hiya, I am just putting this link here for the author of the mod to look at. I hope it can help, and I'd really appreciate it!

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8552.0

It is in regards to the current issue of having to edit files to get factions to work, from the perspective of an end-user.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: November 02, 2014, 10:53:19 AM »

Tartarus, Blackrock isn't even updated for 0.65a.

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: November 03, 2014, 04:21:13 PM »

Speaking of terraforming mirrors, one thing that's eluded my understanding of the sector verse is the total lack of near-solar orbit Mirror arrays.

I mean, sure, you've got the sector verse's neat array of power creating devices - but all of them consume precious and valuable resources to output their tremendous energies to fuel the many ongoing endeavors of a space-faring society.

Whereas with mirrors, it's just a flat and (on human scales) infinite sustained function of the total surface area of mirrors you have in orbit, and their distance from the star. (inverse-square law)

Also, mirrors in space are INCREDIBLY easy to make - melt one nickel-iron asteroid, vaporizing the volatiles in the process - same for one siliceous asteroid. After you've got a ball of molten metal and glass, you use controlled vaporization via collimated light to act as a rocket motor and spin them up - the rotational forces pulling them out into discs (carefully controlled, of course, to maintain even thickness) and then you join the two still-molten discs together to create a modern metal-backed mirror with an IMMENSE surface area.

Two one-km asteroids (final melt diameter) becomes a mirror with a surface area of 104,000km^2 at 5cm thickness.

At a distance of 57 x 10^9m, (mercury orbit) and with equivalent luminosity of our sun, that provides 9116.4 w/m^2.

The end result is for every 2km^3  of asteroid combined into a mirror, and de-orbited to mercury distance (you can, of course, go even closer for more intensity) you get a 9.1 gigawatts of energy per square kilometer of mirror - that's 0.76th of the power of the space shuttle on launch, or half of the peak electric power of the Three Gorges Dam.

Thus, the total energy received by that one addition to the mirror system is 9.481 x 10^20 watts. That is, 5400 times the energy received by the Earth from the sun (which is 173,000 terrawatts (173 pettawatts)).

This is a PHENOMENAL amount of energy to play around with - and all it requires is small station keeping thrusters attached to the mirrors to keep photon pressure from pushing them off course and out of alignment. The entire self-replicating operation could be overseen by a simple program using positional tracking data of the mirrors to melt more asteroids to create more mirrors to melt more asteroids (using optical and other sensor data to properly turn the rocks into mirrors).

Incidentally you also get more minerals and metals daily than that which has been used by all of human civilization up to this point.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 04:23:17 PM by Ishman »

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: November 03, 2014, 05:29:03 PM »

Speaking of terraforming mirrors, one thing that's eluded my understanding of the sector verse is the total lack of near-solar orbit Mirror arrays.

I mean, sure, you've got the sector verse's neat array of power creating devices - but all of them consume precious and valuable resources to output their tremendous energies to fuel the many ongoing endeavors of a space-faring society.

Whereas with mirrors, it's just a flat and (on human scales) infinite sustained function of the total surface area of mirrors you have in orbit, and their distance from the star. (inverse-square law)

Also, mirrors in space are INCREDIBLY easy to make - melt one nickel-iron asteroid, vaporizing the volatiles in the process - same for one siliceous asteroid. After you've got a ball of molten metal and glass, you use controlled vaporization via collimated light to act as a rocket motor and spin them up - the rotational forces pulling them out into discs (carefully controlled, of course, to maintain even thickness) and then you join the two still-molten discs together to create a modern metal-backed mirror with an IMMENSE surface area.

Two one-km asteroids (final melt diameter) becomes a mirror with a surface area of 104,000km^2 at 5cm thickness.

At a distance of 57 x 10^9m, (mercury orbit) and with equivalent luminosity of our sun, that provides 9116.4 w/m^2.

The end result is for every 2km^3  of asteroid combined into a mirror, and de-orbited to mercury distance (you can, of course, go even closer for more intensity) you get a 9.1 gigawatts of energy per square kilometer of mirror - that's 0.76th of the power of the space shuttle on launch, or half of the peak electric power of the Three Gorges Dam.

Thus, the total energy received by that one addition to the mirror system is 9.481 x 10^20 watts. That is, 5400 times the energy received by the Earth from the sun (which is 173,000 terrawatts (173 pettawatts)).

This is a PHENOMENAL amount of energy to play around with - and all it requires is small station keeping thrusters attached to the mirrors to keep photon pressure from pushing them off course and out of alignment. The entire self-replicating operation could be overseen by a simple program using positional tracking data of the mirrors to melt more asteroids to create more mirrors to melt more asteroids (using optical and other sensor data to properly turn the rocks into mirrors).

Incidentally you also get more minerals and metals daily than that which has been used by all of human civilization up to this point.
Bear in mind though one of the big themes in Starsector is the dependence on autofactories and external infrastructure over local knowledge. The Domain could easily just ship in autofac recipes for generic fusion reactors to the colonies and have them all set up by untrained colonists as and when needed, without needing huge investments of time and talent to figure out where to position the mirrors, where to beam power, how to manage the power grids...
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 209