Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What would you like to see in Blackrock?

More ships
- 757 (23.6%)
More weapons
- 483 (15.1%)
More campaign features
- 481 (15%)
Space monsters
- 707 (22.1%)
More lore
- 209 (6.5%)
More music
- 132 (4.1%)
More portraits
- 157 (4.9%)
Subfactions
- 278 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1430

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 209

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards  (Read 1802745 times)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.2a] Blackrock Drive Yards v0.6.5 - With ShaderLib Dynamic Lighting
« Reply #1215 on: June 23, 2014, 08:19:02 AM »

That's the bottom.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: June 23, 2014, 08:21:48 AM »

That's the bottom.

Yeah; currently working on the angles on this for a larger project.  It's partially for a background element and partially to help me visualize the shape of the hull.

And partially because it's just cool.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: June 23, 2014, 08:29:00 AM »

Called it, how can people mistake that for anything else? ???

NCMagic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: June 24, 2014, 11:45:04 AM »

Ehm, I don't know if it's a bug since this isn't up to date with starsector +, but the starsystem blackrock drive yards normally shows up in, isn't there when I'm running it with Valkyrians and starsector +.
The weapons are in the trading hub (Sindrian Diktat).
Annoying modders with problems that generally help and happen due to *** computers!
(Since some time ago.)

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: June 25, 2014, 06:51:32 AM »

What about that pirated Deshindova you were teasing a while back>

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: July 26, 2014, 10:13:50 AM »

Doing some travel + work on professional projects right now, and all my modding efforts have been involved in my joint project with DR (Knights Templar) during the summer, so work on Blackrock has been going quite slowly for a while.

I intend to drop a polish/content patch for Blackrock during August, though, and while feedback in the Mod Feedback Polls have been glowing, there seems to be a consensus that BR is still too powerful as a faction. I intend to do some more adjustments to bring it more in line with vanilla, although as a high-tech faction, individual ships must still remain powerful and specialized. To this end, any detailed feedback will be very useful.

What about that pirated Deshindova you were teasing a while back>

Not quite sure what's going to happen there.

Dragar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: July 26, 2014, 10:51:36 AM »

In that picture of the Karkinos, the left one; ...is it me or does it have a face in the middle of the ship? Above the core that glows ingame.

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: July 26, 2014, 10:53:03 AM »

In all honesty, Blackrock ships are nearly perfect as is. The ships are beautifully designed to be specialized, and that has made me almost always gravitate towards this faction in any game I start. They are also quite fun to fight against, especially now that there are generalized ships like the Scarab or Scorpion in there.
All in all, I'd say that this mod doesn't need any help.

Lolpingu

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: August 11, 2014, 02:16:50 AM »

I love this faction the color scheme, ship designs and weapons are spot on.
However, I do have one problem with it - the weapons do have a fairly high flux buildup, which makes for some EXTREMELY problematic teammates.
The AI refuses to vent flux unless it is absolutely sure that it will not take any fire while doing so - however, it also makes liberal use of it's weapons regardless of their flux buildup. This means that not only is the AI not taking advantage of the Blackrock flux core to vent in combat, but it's also constantly overloading because it can't manage flux properly. This makes Blackrock teammates die left and right.
Consequently, it also makes fighting Blackrock ships ridiculously easy because they just charge in, fire all their weapons, build up a ton of flux and then get overloaded by a brief salvo from my ships, at which point it's already over.
This unfortunately makes the Blackrock faction a bit on the weak side, when compared to other factions, even the vanilla ones.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: August 11, 2014, 03:24:07 AM »

Just out of curiosity, what ship were you piloting? Also what skill you leveled?

sarducardun

• Commander
  • Welcome the angel of death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: August 11, 2014, 03:48:01 AM »

Who were you fighting too, that makes a massive impact, especially with factions like exigency.

Lolpingu

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: August 11, 2014, 06:07:28 PM »

3 Krakinos(es?), supported by 2 Nevermores, one of which I pilot. No fighters (the fighters are severely undergunned for their size). Some auxiliary ships for cargo, flight decks and troop transport which I won't bother mentioning.
Invested most of my points into technology, which means that my ships are equipped with the highest amount of flux-related upgrades possible without compromising too much firepower. The rest went into logistics.
Even then, the buggers are incapable of venting flux at the right time, and spend most of the battle floating about with nearly-overloaded flux capacitors that they won't vent. 
As for the ships I fight - just about every faction that's compatible with exerelin. The list is long, so I won't write it down here.

As for the ships I've used AGAINST the Blackrock - I found just about any capital ship to be capable of singlehandedly killing an entire Blackrock combine fleet (or whatever the name of the largest fleet of this faction is)
Sajuuk, Hildolfr, Core, Vatican, Behemoth etc etc etc
Engaging Blackrock fleets with an entire fleet is a joke, unfortunately. 

Either the AI needs to be altered to vent more liberally (AKA, play the ships to their strengths), or the weapons need to generate less flux.
That, or make a dreadnought-sized ship that will be strong enough to hold on it's own in solo missions so that you don't have to rely on your fleet too much.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: August 11, 2014, 08:50:56 PM »

"No fighters (the fighters are severely undergunned for their size)."
BRDY fighters are quite good imo.

"Sajuuk, Hildolfr, Core, Vatican, Behemoth etc etc etc"
Those are all very overpowered ships.

"Either the AI needs to be altered to vent more liberally (AKA, play the ships to their strengths), or the weapons need to generate less flux."
Altering the AI is more or less impossible very difficult in the manner you are suggesting.

"That, or make a dreadnought-sized ship that will be strong enough to hold on it's own in solo missions so that you don't have to rely on your fleet too much."
That is wishful thinking ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 02:21:04 AM by MesoTroniK »

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1228 on: August 11, 2014, 10:38:35 PM »

3 Krakinos(es?), supported by 2 Nevermores, one of which I pilot. No fighters (the fighters are severely undergunned for their size). Some auxiliary ships for cargo, flight decks and troop transport which I won't bother mentioning.
Invested most of my points into technology, which means that my ships are equipped with the highest amount of flux-related upgrades possible without compromising too much firepower. The rest went into logistics.
Even then, the buggers are incapable of venting flux at the right time, and spend most of the battle floating about with nearly-overloaded flux capacitors that they won't vent. 
As for the ships I fight - just about every faction that's compatible with exerelin. The list is long, so I won't write it down here.

As for the ships I've used AGAINST the Blackrock - I found just about any capital ship to be capable of singlehandedly killing an entire Blackrock combine fleet (or whatever the name of the largest fleet of this faction is)
Sajuuk, Hildolfr, Core, Vatican, Behemoth etc etc etc
Engaging Blackrock fleets with an entire fleet is a joke, unfortunately. 

Either the AI needs to be altered to vent more liberally (AKA, play the ships to their strengths), or the weapons need to generate less flux.
That, or make a dreadnought-sized ship that will be strong enough to hold on it's own in solo missions so that you don't have to rely on your fleet too much.

Your experience vastly departs from my own with BRDY, but then again I play them in Uomoz's, which is (in my opinion) generally very well balanced.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: August 11, 2014, 11:28:46 PM »

the fighters are severely undergunned for their size

Out of curiosity, what not undergunned fighters do you usually use? Bushi? Valkyrian?

Also, your vision of capitals is seriously distorted. Your request for a supreme rolf-stomping capital is game breaking and bypasses a lot of content. Firstly, capitals are meant to be the trump cards of battles, and Alex has stated they will be very logistically burdensome to use in the future. Your idea of a single capital ship able to solo an entire fleet breaks the original purpose of capitals entirely. Why would you use anything but capitals? Enemy factions would have to run a fleet of 6 capitals too, because cruisers, destroyers, frigates and fighters just wouldn't work anymore. Losing crusiers or capitals against an Hegemony SDF all part of the dystopian, realistic and challenging aspect Alex is aiming for.

That brings me to my next point; when capitals become the bread and butter of fleets, what is the purpose of smaller ships? They would all become cash cows for more money, since they cannot hurt you and your ultra capital. The entire combat in Starsector would become something like you piloting a Medusa through a herd full of Buffalo MKI freighters. Admittedly, the endgame ROFLstomp phase currently a problem in vanilla, but capital ships shouldn't be the shortcut to the end of Starsector's campaign progression.

In short, your demands are unrealistic and game breaking. Mods like Blackrock claim to be vanilla balanced because they don't have a "dreadnought-sized ship capable of holding its own in solo missions" against endgame fleets. If your Karkinos can, don't worry, because future updates will mostly likely give modder the ability to put even more serious logistical/political/frequency handicaps on such powerful crafts.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 209