Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What would you like to see in Blackrock?

More ships
- 754 (23.7%)
More weapons
- 480 (15.1%)
More campaign features
- 477 (15%)
Space monsters
- 705 (22.1%)
More lore
- 207 (6.5%)
More music
- 131 (4.1%)
More portraits
- 157 (4.9%)
Subfactions
- 277 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1424

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 209

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards  (Read 1790623 times)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards v0.5
« Reply #885 on: December 19, 2013, 09:27:48 AM »

;D If your ship doesn't look like a concert stage, you ain't doin it right.

Yeah, I wanted to make it look more thickly plated and also extend the whole feeling that the ship has some kind of barely contained internal energy.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: December 19, 2013, 09:36:49 AM »

So THATS why it blows up in pretty colors?? =D

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
  • Have a towel, just need a ship...
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: December 19, 2013, 10:41:04 AM »

oooh, me likey :P
Executive Creative Director of Naysmyth Armouries Mod (Very WIP)

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: December 19, 2013, 04:10:28 PM »

So, been doing some playing. I have a review now!

These are the ships I have seen/used so far. Spoiler'd, honking huge wall of sentences!

Spoiler
Krait Fighter Wing: Good support fighter, but still pretty flimsy when facing the big guns. They can really hurt if you don't watch your back.

Robberfly Tactical Corvette: Wow, this thing is actually really good considering it has no shields. It can easily dodge most shots, but I never played against any beam factions so far.

Locust Frigate: This is an excellent general frigate, perfectly balanced too. It has just the right amount of weaponry for a shotgun, a linear pulse gun, a mini-sunjet and an argus.

Mantis Frigate: I feel a bit conflicted on this one. It is a really great frigate that is perfect for any fast firepower, but at the same time it is really delicate in the field of battle, and the CR recovery rate is abysmal without a friendly station. 2 linear pulse guns and a scalaron blaster make it really nasty.

Scarab Heavy Frigate: A nice and dependable frigate. They are not really that fast, but they can sure hold their own in the field of battle.

Imaginos Frigate: Wow, a really Hyperion like frigate. The only qualm I have with it is that the teleporting is not that great, damages your ship and does not do much damage to the enemy ship at all. (you did say you were going to fix it)  I never used it much due to the cost of its upkeep and repair rate.

Typheus Destroyer: Not much criticism here, but I did notice that for a destroyer, four small mounts are pretty underwhelming.

Gonodactylus Destroyer: A really good favorite of mine, my fleet consisted mostly of these. I like the fact that it can catch up with most freighters in a pursuit mission. It also goes good with the new plasma missiles! Dependable, durable and powerful. I also like how you made the player decide between the universal medium mount being an assault weapon, or a PD weapon.

Desidnova Destroyer: A great classic. The only thing I am reluctant about is the supply cost, but that is intentional.

Nevermore Cruiser: Wow. Nothing to say. <3

Stenos Cruiser: I don't like this one for a few reasons. I is not very powerful in battle, and most destroyers give it a good run for it's money. Speaking of money, I guess the cheap cost reflects its strength, but the supplies a day kinda make it not worth it in the long run. I immediately changed back to a Nevermore just a few fights after I purchased one of these. (I think it might need an art update too, its very bleached looking compared to the rest of the Blackrock fleet!)

Revenant Cruiser: Never saw much, but its relatively fragile compared to other ships of its size.

Convergence Cruiser: You might want to rename it as a support carrier. It can't do much else, really, and lacks the long range missiles that other carriers would have in vanilla.

Kurmajara Interdictor: A very fun ship to play as! It can't really face another capital in battle, but it is the bane of cruisers and destroyers. A great close support vessel overall.

Karkinos Battleship: I love the Scalar system, its so great. The only thing I don't like is the ship is SO D*MN SLOW when it has the shields up, and can get easily overwhelmed after it teleports.
[close]
It was fun playing BR, and it will remain checked mod list fo'ever!

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: December 19, 2013, 05:32:04 PM »

So, been doing some playing. I have a review now!

These are the ships I have seen/used so far. Spoiler'd, honking huge wall of sentences!

Spoiler
Krait Fighter Wing: Good support fighter, but still pretty flimsy when facing the big guns. They can really hurt if you don't watch your back.

Robberfly Tactical Corvette: Wow, this thing is actually really good considering it has no shields. It can easily dodge most shots, but I never played against any beam factions so far.

Locust Frigate: This is an excellent general frigate, perfectly balanced too. It has just the right amount of weaponry for a shotgun, a linear pulse gun, a mini-sunjet and an argus.

Mantis Frigate: I feel a bit conflicted on this one. It is a really great frigate that is perfect for any fast firepower, but at the same time it is really delicate in the field of battle, and the CR recovery rate is abysmal without a friendly station. 2 linear pulse guns and a scalaron blaster make it really nasty.

Scarab Heavy Frigate: A nice and dependable frigate. They are not really that fast, but they can sure hold their own in the field of battle.

Imaginos Frigate: Wow, a really Hyperion like frigate. The only qualm I have with it is that the teleporting is not that great, damages your ship and does not do much damage to the enemy ship at all. (you did say you were going to fix it)  I never used it much due to the cost of its upkeep and repair rate.

Typheus Destroyer: Not much criticism here, but I did notice that for a destroyer, four small mounts are pretty underwhelming.

Gonodactylus Destroyer: A really good favorite of mine, my fleet consisted mostly of these. I like the fact that it can catch up with most freighters in a pursuit mission. It also goes good with the new plasma missiles! Dependable, durable and powerful. I also like how you made the player decide between the universal medium mount being an assault weapon, or a PD weapon.

Desidnova Destroyer: A great classic. The only thing I am reluctant about is the supply cost, but that is intentional.

Nevermore Cruiser: Wow. Nothing to say. <3

Stenos Cruiser: I don't like this one for a few reasons. I is not very powerful in battle, and most destroyers give it a good run for it's money. Speaking of money, I guess the cheap cost reflects its strength, but the supplies a day kinda make it not worth it in the long run. I immediately changed back to a Nevermore just a few fights after I purchased one of these. (I think it might need an art update too, its very bleached looking compared to the rest of the Blackrock fleet!)

Revenant Cruiser: Never saw much, but its relatively fragile compared to other ships of its size.

Convergence Cruiser: You might want to rename it as a support carrier. It can't do much else, really, and lacks the long range missiles that other carriers would have in vanilla.

Kurmajara Interdictor: A very fun ship to play as! It can't really face another capital in battle, but it is the bane of cruisers and destroyers. A great close support vessel overall.

Karkinos Battleship: I love the Scalar system, its so great. The only thing I don't like is the ship is SO D*MN SLOW when it has the shields up, and can get easily overwhelmed after it teleports.
[close]
It was fun playing BR, and it will remain checked mod list fo'ever!

It's >KURMARAJA< I don't think a single person has ever got it right. =I

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: December 19, 2013, 05:57:58 PM »

What a shame.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: December 19, 2013, 06:10:04 PM »

Hey, it's a simple spelling mistake. Lay off, will y'all?!?

Grug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: December 19, 2013, 06:26:17 PM »

Valk likes to dispense snark. Don't let it get to you. Great review though!

Piemanlives

• Commander
  • I've Got This, I think...
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: December 19, 2013, 11:23:51 PM »

I sometimes like to privately refer to Valk as "The Snark Master."
This is called me throwing my missile swarm at you, and by swarm I mean massacre, and by missiles... I actually just mean missiles, there's actually not much to it really.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: December 20, 2013, 12:50:42 AM »

Yeah, I wanted to make it look more thickly plated and also extend the whole feeling that the ship has some kind of barely contained internal energy.

Hah, this is literally the exact way I have been trying to paint my ships.

Also, I am blown away by how fast you continue to update this mod.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: December 20, 2013, 11:31:27 AM »

Thanks for the comprehensive review Foxer! I really appreciate such detailed feedback. And I really enjoy the fact you like the Gonodactylus, sometimes I wonder if I'm the only guy who actually buys 'em.

Hah, this is literally the exact way I have been trying to paint my ships.

Also, I am blown away by how fast you continue to update this mod.

Well, I've gotten a pretty good workflow going. It's really easy to get work done as soon as inspiration strikes these days, so one hour of work or so every day is quite easy to pull off.

In other news LazyWizard did some great adjustments to the Deracinator code which allows me to make it more damaging (specifically, more damaging to large ships that spread the EMP arcs around without making the system oneshot all fighters and frigates)

The system will still damage your own ships if you aren't careful, but it will rarely result in more than a disabled weapon and some blackened armor plating.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 11:32:58 AM by Cycerin »

N7Sniper84

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] <UPDATE!> Blackrock Drive Yards v0.5
« Reply #896 on: December 21, 2013, 10:23:53 PM »

Hmmm... Do you need to manually add new ships/variants in exrelin world/blackrock_driveyards file for them to appear in exrelin games?

I've been trying to figure this out myself. When I try starting a new game, none of the new ships appear. What steps do I take in order for them to appear?

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] <UPDATE!> Blackrock Drive Yards v0.5
« Reply #897 on: December 22, 2013, 12:53:31 AM »

Hmmm... Do you need to manually add new ships/variants in exrelin world/blackrock_driveyards file for them to appear in exrelin games?

I've been trying to figure this out myself. When I try starting a new game, none of the new ships appear. What steps do I take in order for them to appear?

You can manually add the new ships by adding the new variants to the exerelinGenericFleet definition in mods/Exerelin/world/factions/blackrock_driveyards.faction.

Otherwise, I will have an update to Exerelin out soon that will have the new BRDY ships (among other things) :)

N7Sniper84

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: December 22, 2013, 01:11:22 AM »

Okay. I'll be sure to try it out when I get off work. I appreciate you replying as fast as you did, too.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: December 28, 2013, 07:38:01 AM »

Small change: just bumped the Solenoid Quench Gun to 11 OP, increased range and made its fire rate and flux buildup slightly higher. Also removed the pointless STRIKE, USE_VS_FRIGATES hint from it so it can be used to pop fighters and bombers. Overall, a slightly more powerful weapon and not as overshadowed by the volley gun and dual shard.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 209