Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What would you like to see in Blackrock?

More ships
- 754 (23.7%)
More weapons
- 480 (15.1%)
More campaign features
- 477 (15%)
Space monsters
- 705 (22.1%)
More lore
- 207 (6.5%)
More music
- 131 (4.1%)
More portraits
- 157 (4.9%)
Subfactions
- 277 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1424

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 209

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards  (Read 1790588 times)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a UPDATE!] Blackrock Drive Yards v0.42
« Reply #735 on: October 29, 2013, 11:51:14 AM »

Sounds like you should just make your own mod, GGMC :P It sounds guaranteed to be entertaining.

So I'm working on Blackrock again - doing some polish here and there. Writing some descriptions, keeping it gameplay-centric and concentrating the fluff for those who care about it in the sections that only show up in the Codex.

Spoiler
SHARD CANNON:
A solid all-round weapon. Shoots kinetic penetrators that also have a chance to explode for Energy damage against armor/hull.

The most fruitful and unexpected result of Blackrock's attempts to reverse-engineer the Domain phase cloak, the Shard is a fairly brittle projectile by most standards: crystalline in composition, it has a low rate of penetration against armor. However, each Shard is fashioned in a special reactor that constantly displaces the growing crystal between p-space and n-space. The result is that each Shard carries a vibration across universes, even when removed from the factory. When such a projectile hits a shield barrier, it causes additional strain to the enemy inertial dampener - on top of that, if a Shard shatters and lodges itself inside a foreign material, the disrupted standing wave can cause a backlash in n-space, as twisted particles return to the universe as antimatter and subsequently annihilate. A major drawback is that no Shard will shatter in the same way, and thus, only a small portion of hits will generate an destructive reaction. Still, the Shard Cannon is a staple on most Blackrock vessels for midrange combat.

Independent researchers sometimes attempt to jury-rig standard autocannons to accept Shards as ammunition. The end results are usually... higly unprofitable.
[close]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:55:20 AM by Cycerin »

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: October 29, 2013, 12:09:57 PM »

Fabulous lore, looking forward to more of it!

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: October 29, 2013, 03:36:58 PM »

Bomb bays are rather crude weaponry when you look at it. I'm not sure BRDY high-tech standard would bother with that kind of low-tech armament. And in some ways, they already got the Quill launcher even if it lack the punch of the Annihilator (Edit: and obviously the Fury).

But i like your idea of a big EMP bomb. Actually, the idea of the bomb bay become interesting and not that low-tech (hell, Neutrinos use bomb bays on their Drache), it's just that the problems with that kind of weapon is that it is usually difficult to use without blowing yourself with the splash damage. I can already see a Desdinova, charging straight with its booster on to release a point blank bomb right in the enemy face and getting its engine disabled by the blast.

Still it's seems interesting, i'm curious how Cycerin would handle the idea.

Oh by the way, about the shard cannon. How does actually work the explosion system? Is it random? And when it explode, what damage does it do?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:48:51 PM by HELMUT »

Shield

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: October 29, 2013, 03:39:10 PM »

Loving the lore except my dumb ass doesn't know the difference between p-space and n-space. 

You know what Blackrock needs but doesn't yet have?  Bombs.  Most of your ships are about mobility (except for the Kurmaraja) but you don't have any faction-specific bombs for me to take advange of BRDY's mobility advantage with.  I'm stuck with vanilla Annihilators and Cluster Bombs on my Desdinova(s).  Starsector in general could use a heavy EMP bomb or something, what is the Blackrock corporation doing with Bose-Einstein condensates these days?

Fury torpedo...

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: October 29, 2013, 04:49:04 PM »

Loving the lore except my dumb ass doesn't know the difference between p-space and n-space.  

Normal space and phase space. :)

Bomb bays are rather crude weaponry when you look at it. I'm not sure BRDY high-tech standard would bother with that kind of low-tech armament. And in some ways, they already got the Quill launcher even if it lack the punch of the Annihilator (Edit: and obviously the Fury).

As long as it's impractical and cool, it fits. I've been meaning to make a proximity charge-type weapon for a while now. More missiles in general. The only true support missile for BRDY is the Achilles, which has recently been buffed into usefulness, but still isn't good for assaulting ships or finishing them off.

Oh by the way, about the shard cannon. How does actually work the explosion system? Is it random? And when it explode, what damage does it do?

There's a roughly 20% chance the shard will explode and deal 125-200 Energy damage if it hits hull or armor on an enemy ship.

Also, BRDY doesn't use a lot of EMP weapons. This is mainly because they are completely worthless against a void beast, and the research just isn't being done! Plasma weapons are, however, excellent at cauterizing pseudoflesh: the Fury, PDE, Antiplasma, Linear Pulse and AM Lance sort of work off the same technology. I think a bomb weapon would be a type of plasma charge.

Actually that sounds rad. Small and medium plasma charge launchers.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:51:33 PM by Cycerin »

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 03, 2013, 08:15:43 AM »

Blackrock has successfully developed a military-grade, destroyer-sized phase cloak. Look out for the Asura-class Monitor in the future!

While the phase cloak is inefficient, the ship design compensates: on each flank of the vessel, three prominent capacitors can store excess flux. In a pinch, the capacitors can then be shut off from the reactor circuit and ejected into space, allowing an instant drop in hard flux. This allows the ship to pump out lethal amounts of damage if unchecked, thanks to its built-in Linear Pulse Cannon.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 08:26:58 AM by Cycerin »

Sproiet

• Ensign
  • My advice to you is keep being who you are
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 03, 2013, 09:16:40 AM »

Yay, I was beginning to sadden over the fact that BRDY only has really 1 great destroyer, the Desdinova is great as well, but it's more of a pursuit ship in my eyes.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: November 03, 2013, 09:30:43 AM »

I'm making a few adjustments to the Gonodactylus as well.

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: November 03, 2013, 07:08:04 PM »

You can never have too many fun destroyers, imo.
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

Morion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: November 05, 2013, 10:38:08 AM »

Blackrock has successfully developed a military-grade, destroyer-sized phase cloak. Look out for the Asura-class Monitor in the future!

While the phase cloak is inefficient, the ship design compensates: on each flank of the vessel, three prominent capacitors can store excess flux. In a pinch, the capacitors can then be shut off from the reactor circuit and ejected into space, allowing an instant drop in hard flux. This allows the ship to pump out lethal amounts of damage if unchecked, thanks to its built-in Linear Pulse Cannon.

Phase cloak ship! It's that I lacked so much when was fighting with Tri-Tachion last time. And again with interesting implementation. I will look forward to play with this new toy. Also it would be good to see some frigate as well.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:40:25 AM by Morion »

Shield

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: November 05, 2013, 10:43:03 AM »

maybe blackrock could sign a contract with neutrino to create a phase ring
It works with capitals and cruisers!

No...everything you want is something that has a ridiculous amount of weapon slots, ordinance points, and is just plainly too good, why do you suggest such ridiculous ships in every mod thread?

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: November 06, 2013, 05:08:28 AM »

So far it seems like the next version will include Exerelin integration bugfixes, a new AM lance particle effect by Trylobot, some sound edits, variant edits and rebalancing for the Robberfly and Gonodactylus, and the Convergence-class. There has been a LOT of polish done in intermittent bursts since the last release.

Next in line after that is differentiating the Convergence and Revenant, adding more weapons, and working on the phase ship. The Revenant will probably become a "drone cruiser" and focus on defense, standing out among the Blackrock roster for its different take on battle tactics. The Convergence will be the standby big carrier option for Blackrock fleets, backed up by the Typheus, but the Revenant might keep a flight deck.

Re: what I did with the Gonodactylus, it now has a frontal universal turret between the "eyes" and another missile turret on the claw side, as well as slightly more OP. It feels like it's in a pretty solid spot right now, as the fleet's "workhorse", so to speak - flexible and with a good ace-in-the-sleeve weapon when outmatched.

The new weapons I'm going to add first will be plasma charge launchers and the Ironweaver Cannon, the large-size shard shotgun.

Oh, and I'll probably add the Eschaton-class Heavy Freighter sometime after christmas too.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: November 06, 2013, 10:18:47 AM »

Post away, I love posts like those. Just be aware that yeah, a lot of stuff has been touched already, like weapon ranges being slightly lower across the board and efficiency/power a bit higher to compensate, and misc. stuff about ship and weapon stats.

etherealblade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: November 07, 2013, 12:19:04 AM »

First off amazing updates...I'm so anticipating their release.

Also..on a side note, were you still planning on throwing in them space monsters? O.o ???
Spoiler

[close]

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: November 07, 2013, 02:07:05 AM »

That's going to be an enormous amount of work and not something I can throw in on a whim. :P
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 209