Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What would you like to see in Blackrock?

More ships
- 754 (23.7%)
More weapons
- 480 (15.1%)
More campaign features
- 477 (15%)
Space monsters
- 705 (22.1%)
More lore
- 207 (6.5%)
More music
- 131 (4.1%)
More portraits
- 157 (4.9%)
Subfactions
- 277 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1424

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 209

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards  (Read 1790552 times)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a UPDATE!] Blackrock Drive Yards
« Reply #645 on: October 03, 2013, 06:03:34 PM »

Both of those are unintended. I'll have a look at it later.

I just wanted to let you know, that this is quite literally my favourite faction mod on the forums. I love what you've done with backing up your lore, creating the system, adding fluff text to the weapons, what have you. I look forward to what you do with the mod, and have confidence that it'll be great fun. Space monsters are always fun.

Although I may not like to FLY BRDY ships, I do occaisionally buy their weapons systems, and a handful of their strike craft, because it's difficult to argue with their effectiveness. The reason I have your mod installed, is because they're a deep and interesting faction, rivalling and even beating the current factions in the game (hegemony, et, al.) They add a depth and flavour to the Starsector universe that isn't currently available.

Now that event texts are added though, I'd love to see how you could incorporate this into the BRDY system, and other systems- allowing the player to rout or assist BRDY in various operations across the sector.

VVVV VVVV Sperg warning VVVV VVVVGlad to hear you enjoy the lore, did you have fun reading the little blurbs I added to this patch? It's fun to write, sort of low-expectations material given what this is, but fun nonetheless. I've made it up as I went along - starting just with the no nonsense, Blackwater-esque brand name, which has its roots in the Battleships Forever Metagame 5 years ago, where players created corporations that designed ships used by the other players through the GM. Since then, I've made some adaptions to keep it fun and sort of ease it into the Starsector universe- the problem here is how to fit an enormous arms and spacecraft company into a setting where society is decaying rapidly and nobody understands how to develop new technologies. I realized it could quickly get silly if I just blew it over entirely, and I like Starsector too much to simply pretend the ground rules aren't there... so in the end, I figured BRDY is pre-collapse, a weird event gave them their flavor and also created THE ENEMY that makes'em tic. The details mostly stem from wanting to throw homages to stuff I like and concepts that fascinate me (humanity weakly holding on to a dystopic existence, brave thick-eyebrowed pilots who sign up to blast space monsters, Von Neumann probes, the idea that most of the traits of "life" as we know it could be divorced from organic chemistry and blown into a fantastic and mind blowing scale)

Its funny how, in this picture, all the power players in the Sector are people who were somehow weirdly untouched by the Collapse - the Hegemony are powerful because they were a Domain sleeper fleet, the Tri-Tachyon are powerful simply because they are more or less exactly what they were before everything went to hell, and BRDY was a minor business based on a crapsack world until something from the great beyond upset everything and caused the planetary government in the system to become synonymous with the brand of the arms dealers and spaceship producers who prevented everything from being overwhelmed.

Nobody wanted to touch Gneiss, nobody had time to, and in time, Blackrock Drive Yards grew, unopposed on its home turf, being able to relentlessly integrate both forgotten and new knowledge into its existing designs, securing infrastructure and food for its barren systems by unscrupulously dealing in volatile technologies to any planet that had the trading power and freedom to accept it: angering the other major powers beyond belief. Whatever planetary government that ruled Lodestone and Blackrock before the planet became synonymous with the corporation that carries its name, has long since become a weak, faded memory - a running joke, consumed and fed upon by the churning gears of history. Now, Blackrock sustains itself through a mix of political pressure and outright threats - "if we don't keep it in check, who will?" In one way, it's just hypocrisy - the void beast is both the greatest problem Blackrock faces as a cohesive entity, as well as the faction's greatest natural resource. Tri-Tachyon fleets constantly clash with Blackrock fleets during attempts to retrieve and analyze void beast carcasses, and the Hegemony seek to contain the internal cabals most loyal to Gneiss itself as close to the system as possible, to prevent Blackrock from splitting the Sector further.

Shield

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a UPDATE!] Blackrock Drive Yards v0.42
« Reply #646 on: October 03, 2013, 09:56:02 PM »

Spoiler
15319 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.String  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Error compiling [data.missions.BRDY_randomvs.MissionDefinition]
java.lang.RuntimeException: Error compiling [data.missions.BRDY_randomvs.MissionDefinition]
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.scripts.ScriptStore$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Compiling unit "data/missions/BRDY_randomvs/MissionDefinition.java"
   at org.codehaus.janino.JavaSourceClassLoader.generateBytecodes(JavaSourceClassLoader.java:212)
   at org.codehaus.janino.JavaSourceClassLoader.findClass(JavaSourceClassLoader.java:164)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:307)
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:248)
   ... 2 more
Caused by: org.codehaus.commons.compiler.CompileException: File data/missions/BRDY_randomvs/MissionDefinition.java, Line 140, Column 59: "DEFEND" is neither a method, a field, nor a member class of "com.fs.starfarer.api.fleet.FleetGoal"
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compileError(UnitCompiler.java:9403)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.reclassifyName(UnitCompiler.java:6319)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.reclassify(UnitCompiler.java:6224)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.getType2(UnitCompiler.java:4948)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.access$135(UnitCompiler.java:4947)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler$17.visitAmbiguousName(UnitCompiler.java:4733)
   at org.codehaus.janino.Java$AmbiguousName.accept(Java.java:2223)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.getType(UnitCompiler.java:4743)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.findMostSpecificIInvocable(UnitCompiler.java:6968)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.findIMethod(UnitCompiler.java:6869)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.findIMethod(UnitCompiler.java:6768)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compileGet2(UnitCompiler.java:3553)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.access$63(UnitCompiler.java:3552)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler$11.visitMethodInvocation(UnitCompiler.java:2967)
   at org.codehaus.janino.Java$MethodInvocation.accept(Java.java:2831)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compileGet(UnitCompiler.java:2993)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compileGetValue(UnitCompiler.java:4017)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compile2(UnitCompiler.java:2413)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.access$38(UnitCompiler.java:2412)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler$8.visitMethodInvocation(UnitCompiler.java:2381)
   at org.codehaus.janino.Java$MethodInvocation.accept(Java.java:2831)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compile(UnitCompiler.java:2407)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compile2(UnitCompiler.java:1426)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.access$8(UnitCompiler.java:1425)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler$5.visitExpressionStatement(UnitCompiler.java:926)
   at org.codehaus.janino.Java$ExpressionStatement.accept(Java.java:1447)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compile(UnitCompiler.java:946)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compileStatements(UnitCompiler.java:972)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compile(UnitCompiler.java:2083)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compileDeclaredMethods(UnitCompiler.java:851)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compileDeclaredMethods(UnitCompiler.java:832)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compile2(UnitCompiler.java:528)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compile2(UnitCompiler.java:421)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler$3.visitPackageMemberClassDeclaration(UnitCompiler.java:376)
   at org.codehaus.janino.Java$PackageMemberClassDeclaration.accept(Java.java:765)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compile(UnitCompiler.java:383)
   at org.codehaus.janino.UnitCompiler.compileUnit(UnitCompiler.java:352)
   at org.codehaus.janino.JavaSourceClassLoader.generateBytecodes(JavaSourceClassLoader.java:210)
   ... 5 more
[close]

i keep getting this error

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #647 on: October 03, 2013, 10:32:21 PM »

Yeah, one of the mission enums was removed from the API. I got hit with that myself.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 03, 2013, 10:50:57 PM »

If ya know any cut'n'paste skills like me... :( ... then you can open up the missions file in the mod and edit the mission.java file. Look for a DEFEND and replace it with an ATTACK.

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 03, 2013, 10:53:43 PM »

If you get that error you're running an old version of the mod ...
No faction is truly established without a themed Buffalo (TAG) variant.

Shield

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: October 04, 2013, 12:06:30 AM »

If you get that error you're running an old version of the mod ...

Just downloaded the newest version still the same problem.

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a UPDATE!] Blackrock Drive Yards
« Reply #651 on: October 04, 2013, 02:09:58 AM »

VVVV VVVV Sperg warning VVVV VVVV

this is perfect please keep posting forever

Although, I wouldn't exactly call the Hegemony untouched by the Collapse given that it's grown far beyond its originations as a Domain sleeper fleet and was only really able to gain power due to the Collapse occurring. But I get your point about them all having strong roots in the pre-Collapse universe, and I love your writing.  :)
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 05, 2013, 08:01:23 AM »

How does Blackrock feel, balance-wise, for those who've had time to play with things after the recent patch? My opinion is still on the "they're a tiny bit too strong" side, but I'd like to get some feedback.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #653 on: October 05, 2013, 08:20:55 AM »

I have no idea how the creator of the Codex calculates stuff, but according to his latest version your mod has an overall score of 1.20, where 1 would be perfectly balanced.

Anyway, my own experience is that that score seems right.
I really have a fun time fighting against your faction. They are challenging and tougher than vanilla, but it doesn't feel like they're tearing me apart without any effort from their side. I think it's fine as it is. :)

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 05, 2013, 08:39:38 AM »

They feel good so far.

I'm kinda wary of trying to go for total parity with stock ... the change to the % bonuses for the ordnance points skills has made some stock ships work like some ships did/do in EVE, where lazy balancing meant lots of slots, which would make it too powerful, so lets balance it by making it impossible to use all of them. Which of course doesn't balance it all but merely means most setups are terrible on it and a very few are godly.

If anything, I would say the ships in general are fine, possibly some of the large-alpha weapons might need a tiny bit of a nerf because of how alpha strike affects overload and bleed through on armor etc. Those are always hard to account for properly.

Carroy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 05, 2013, 08:50:37 AM »

How does Blackrock feel, balance-wise, for those who've had time to play with things after the recent patch? My opinion is still on the "they're a tiny bit too strong" side, but I'd like to get some feedback.

I think they are pretty well balanced, they do have huge amounts of killing power but any mistakes can cost you your ship. I would say the reason that they feel slightly to strong is because the ship systems that are in Blockrock ships are more powerful to their vanilla counterpart if applicable.

And while they feel strong in your own hands, I wouldn't even let the AI retreat with a Blackrock ship.  ;)

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 05, 2013, 01:20:39 PM »

By the way Cycerin, is it intended that the Sunjet PPDE does not regenerate charges? Cause that's ... very strange for an energy weapon ...

P.S. You probably want to add ANTI_FTR to the energy PD weapons so the AI treats them as it does the stock Burst/Guardian PD.

P.P.S. might wanna check the station supply script, I think this maaaaaay be too many capital ships:

Spoiler
[close]

P.P.S. On balance:
The Squall weapons are too flux efficient. Its true the DPS is low (like most BRDY weapons) and so is the range, but the alpha strike is ~twice the second-best in its class.
On the other hand, the Solenoid Quench Cannon feels plinky. For 14% more alpha than a Gauss, at the same OP cost, I get less than a third of the DPS, less range and flux efficiency that's essentially twice as bad. I'd also love a quad shard, but that's another issue.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 03:17:59 PM by Taverius »

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 05, 2013, 03:42:38 PM »

I actually think the pre-balance changes for all the weapons felt about right - as a faction the blackrock ship's are very dangerous if you let them into range, but the low flux capacity and high venting makes them pretty easy to fight with high alpha setups on your fleet.

Though some of the large weapons felt a bit on the weak side, similar range to medium and low slot weapons, barely improved flux efficiency, low dps, and average alpha for a large increase in OP cost? Might as well slap another sunjet on instead and spend the OP on more flux capacity/vents.

The sunjets and the shard cannons particularly feel absolutely AMAZING to use.

Those furious explosions on impact with armor are a joy to see.

With the large inefficiency in most vanilla ship configurations, the blackrock ships feel too strong, but they're a nice fun fight with ship layouts I've designed - however I've noticed that except for black rock capital ships, they simply cannot handle phase ships - even in the abysmal hands of an AI pilot - whether I'm against or piloting a blackrock fleet.

Have I mentioned how much I love the argus PD Line? IT ACTUALLY STOPS SALAMANDERS FROM MAKING TENDER LOVE TO MY ENGINES!

Taverius

• Captain
  • Mistake not ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: October 06, 2013, 01:13:51 PM »

By the way; ship system drones are not supposed to run down the peak CR counter when they're out doing nothing, but the one for the Scarab does.

The Tempest has the correct behaviour, i.e. if you put the drone out and its not shielding or shooting the peak timer doesn't run down. Not sure how Alex is doing it, but I doubt its too involved.

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 06, 2013, 07:08:12 PM »

Also, are you going to update the shiplist pictures with the "phase ship", "rrrr", and robberfly?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 209