Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What would you like to see in Blackrock?

More ships
- 754 (23.7%)
More weapons
- 480 (15.1%)
More campaign features
- 477 (15%)
Space monsters
- 705 (22.1%)
More lore
- 207 (6.5%)
More music
- 131 (4.1%)
More portraits
- 157 (4.9%)
Subfactions
- 277 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1424

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 209

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards  (Read 1790386 times)

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Blackrock Drive Yards - v0.30
« Reply #270 on: February 27, 2013, 10:44:23 AM »

Well if its any consolation, auto-resolve is probably going to be removed in the next starsector patch, so I'd take this as a wonderful opportunity to not use it.

...Waitaminute! that's not comforting at all!
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 27, 2013, 11:17:11 AM »

That's not good, i really can't be arsed fighting every single fleet i come across.

ssthehunter

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 27, 2013, 03:10:47 PM »

thats... thats a horrifying concept.  I really hope its not going to be removed.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 28, 2013, 09:49:29 AM »

I guess if it was removed, it would be replaced by a better mechanic. I'm pretty sure Alex understands that nobody wants to fight a lone Hound with their 100fp fleet. The idea behind removing autocomplete, the way I see it, comes with the increased opportunity cost to deploying ships and the idea of wanting to ensure that there is a good reason to treat smaller battles seriously as they will be fought with smaller task forces, unless you want to invest resources into getting all your capital ships combat ready in order to swat a single frigate. Along with a general focus on more evenly matched, less one-sided combat. No reason for a player who has Onslaughts to seek out and fight small fry... when they could use them to siege an enemy factory planet for political power.

But this is a derail, people, take it to the blogposts thread.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 09:51:10 AM by Cycerin »

conorano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 28, 2013, 02:29:16 PM »

are you still taking weapon requests if so i have one here (i have more but i need to know if you want to know them first)

i was thinking about a medium variant of the tachyon lance only with high explosive damage and maybe a small emp chance. it would have low damage but long range and good rate of fire. it could be used as a good support weapon.just trowing an idea out there you can change it as you like.

Sandremo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 28, 2013, 03:25:01 PM »

That's not good, i really can't be arsed fighting every single fleet i come across.

I concur! There are times when i'm flying around with my massive freespace 2 fleets and i see a pirate "Armada" which is like 80% destroyed having only 2 carriers and 1 fighter wing charging right at me shouting "HAVE AT THEE!"

Okay the last part was in my imagination but you get the drift... i hope.

-Sandremo

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 01, 2013, 08:25:12 AM »

i was thinking about a medium variant of the tachyon lance only with high explosive damage and maybe a small emp chance. it would have low damage but long range and good rate of fire. it could be used as a good support weapon.just trowing an idea out there you can change it as you like.

Sounds like the Plasma Discharge Emitter to me! Add Advanced Optics and you've basically got it. I've briefly considered adding some sort of beam effect to it, though.

Shield

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 01, 2013, 09:52:48 PM »

Any chance of us getting a battlecruiser of some sort, slow ponderous, yet awesomely powerful?

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 02, 2013, 12:17:06 AM »

As always, excellent ship sprites and design. The balance is alot better this time around, and no surfing around at a speed of 600 with a cruiser. The faction is in a good place now, but it feels as if it's missing a few things. Is it possible for you to add a lighter fightercraft similar to the Talon, and perhaps a larger, heavier capital ship?

Also, it feels as if every ship has different versions of Manuevering Jets. For the Nevermore, I can understand the design, and I guess the Desdinova is about close-combat mobility, but what about the Scarab?

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 02, 2013, 08:04:48 AM »

Any chance of us getting a battlecruiser of some sort, slow ponderous, yet awesomely powerful?

You already have a battlecruiser - the Kurmaraja. The definition of a battlecruiser is a ship with the speed and protection of a cruiser, but the armament of a battleship, by the way. ;)

A slow, ponderous, enormously powerful vessel isn't in the Blackrock spirit, so to speak.. there will be a ship that is situationally more powerful than the Kurmaraja, though. But it will take a while for me to get everything I want about that ship to feel right. Picture a teleporter that only works at 0 flux coupled with a built-in weapon that causes enormous destruction in a close radius around the ship. Now picture that on a ship the size of an Onslaught - except it's a Blackrock ship, so its weapons are all close-range burst damage. That is the Sachumodo.

but it feels as if it's missing a few things. Is it possible for you to add a lighter fightercraft similar to the Talon, and perhaps a larger, heavier capital ship?

Also, it feels as if every ship has different versions of Manuevering Jets. For the Nevermore, I can understand the design, and I guess the Desdinova is about close-combat mobility, but what about the Scarab?

What's planned right now is a corvette - basically a 3fp frigate that functions more or less like a Hound. I am also going to make a phase destroyer and a second capital ship. I might also make research variants of ships, like a prototype Desdinova or prototype Nevermore that has to be captured or earned as a reward for gaining favor with the faction. I really want, for instance, to make a Nevermore that has a toggle Lucifer generator as well as a toggle superpowered Plasma Discharge Emitter for hyper-risky glass cannon play, but I don't want to touch the current version of the ship, which I feel has settled into a nice niche.

As for the Maneuvering Jets, the Scarab and Nevermore use the exact same shipsystem. It just handles differently due to the ship stats. However, the Desdinova's system is indeed focused on twitchier movement, I also wanted to keep it separate simply to give the ship some flair.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 08:32:15 AM by Cycerin »

Shield

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 02, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »

You already have a battlecruiser - the Kurmaraja. The definition of a battlecruiser is a ship with the speed and protection of a cruiser, but the armament of a battleship, by the way. ;)

A slow, ponderous, enormously powerful vessel isn't in the Blackrock spirit, so to speak.. there will be a ship that is situationally more powerful than the Kurmaraja, though. But it will take a while for me to get everything I want about that ship to feel right. Picture a teleporter that only works at 0 flux coupled with a built-in weapon that causes enormous destruction in a close radius around the ship. Now picture that on a ship the size of an Onslaught - except it's a Blackrock ship, so its weapons are all close-range burst damage. That is the Sachumodo.

but it feels as if it's missing a few things. Is it possible for you to add a lighter fightercraft similar to the Talon, and perhaps a larger, heavier capital ship?

What's planned right now is a corvette - basically a 3fp frigate that functions more or less like a Hound. I am also going to make a phase destroyer and a second capital ship. I might also make research variants of ships, like a prototype Desdinova or prototype Nevermore that has to be captured or earned as a reward for gaining favor with the faction. I really want, for instance, to make a Nevermore that has a toggle Lucifer generator as well as a toggle superpowered Plasma Discharge Emitter for hyper-risky glass cannon play, but I don't want to touch the current version of the ship, which I feel has settled into a nice niche.

As for the Maneuvering Jets, the Scarab and Nevermore use the exact same shipsystem. It just handles differently due to the ship stats. However, the Desdinova's system is indeed focused on twitchier movement, I also wanted to keep it separate simply to give the ship some flair.

Just seems like Kurmaraja just seems a little underwhelming I guess maybe because its ability isn't working?

And I just realized that Sachumodo has a picture in the data files, I like it.

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 02, 2013, 10:54:57 AM »

Just seems like Kurmaraja just seems a little underwhelming I guess maybe because its ability isn't working?

It works, and it's very powerful.

What's planned right now is a corvette - basically a 3fp frigate that functions more or less like a Hound.

Will it count as a fighter, hence the word 'corvette'? I wouldn't mind another light frigate but we already have the Mantis fulfilling that role quite nicely.

I also wanted to keep it separate simply to give the ship some flair.

Personally it felt as if all the ships I used had manuevering jets. Granted, while I used all the ships, I mostly piloted the Scarab, Desdinova and Nevermore, so I guess it's more of a personal experience of mine. Does the Scarab need it though? What about a pair of drones which have a large shield radius to act as support instead of giving it more mobility?

Alfalfa

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 02, 2013, 03:12:05 PM »

Hello, I'm loving this mod.  I haven't played Starsector with mods much largely because everything looks out of place next to the stellar vanilla artwork, but your ships fit right in both mechanically and aesthetically.

For your phase cruiser, why not some variation of the burst thrusters you can use in phase cloak?  Coast up to your target while phased, burst jet through him and turn, then unload.  You could make it slower than the Doom to compensate, or give it a decent flux cost to make it tricky to pull off without overloading.  Alternatively, I like using the 0-flux boost and/or maneuvering jets to get to high speeds then coast past enemies and do strafing runs, allowing me to vent safely afterwards; you could have a system like the burn drive that doesn't throttle your speed down when it's done, allowing you to do high speed, difficult to target bombing runs.  I don't think the AI would like that one though.

I've been thinking that it would be interesting to have ways to weaponize flux.  For the Sachumodo, instead of having it activate at 0 flux, perhaps you could make it so it deals damage proportional to the amount of stored flux and overloads.

Finally, I have to know, because it's been driving me crazy: what the hell is the Lucifer generator?

conorano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 03, 2013, 12:28:41 AM »

the lucifer generator was the first shipsystem of the nevermore. it was a timed ability that completely locked your engines down so it made you unable to move in any way except for the velocity you had. but on the bright side, you would get like 2 or 3 times more energy weapon damage. it was meant for the nevermores built in weapon

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 03, 2013, 03:27:23 AM »

To Alfalfa: Well, it's going to be a phase destroyer, not a phase cruiser. And I had actually considered a weaponized flux venting system for that ship - an emergency flux vent that damages the ship slightly, does damage to everything in close range, etc. I'm worried that burst jets would be too good on a phase ship, it would be very fun to pilot though. Glad you're enjoying the mod.

The Sachumodo in the files is a very outdated sprite and the final ship probably won't look much like that at all. :)

Been pondering adding two more turrets to the Nevermore - one small ballistic turret on each flank, pointing sideways with a 120-160 degree arc. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 04:42:14 AM by Cycerin »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 209