Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What would you like to see in Blackrock?

More ships
- 758 (23.6%)
More weapons
- 484 (15.1%)
More campaign features
- 481 (15%)
Space monsters
- 707 (22.1%)
More lore
- 209 (6.5%)
More music
- 132 (4.1%)
More portraits
- 157 (4.9%)
Subfactions
- 278 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1431

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 209

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards  (Read 1805105 times)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.2a] Blackrock Drive Yards v0.7.4 - New ship! New weapon! (Hotfixed)
« Reply #1605 on: April 03, 2015, 09:47:21 AM »

I ended up putting Light Needlers on my Shade frigates also. Combat trials to be done, but they seem to be doing well as shield-breaker support for my pair of Tartaruses.

The Mjolnir didn't sit right with me on the Asura. I don't kite so much as dodge and weave right through the crowd, as you can pull off some crazy stunts with a nimble phase ship like this. But having all non-PD, non-missile weapons in one group means that Mjolnir exhausts itself too quickly (often dealing with shields), and in a large engagement it doesn't reload quickly enough to continue to pull its weight. Maybe you do that differently, but it would get too fiddly having several main groups with my playstyle. Replacing the Mjolnir with a Hephaestus did work well though.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: April 03, 2015, 10:23:30 AM »

Mjolnir does not need to reload.  It will keep firing as long as you have flux to spare.  The only standard non-missile weapons that regenerate in the latest Starsector are autopulse laser and Onslaught's TPC.

I like Mjolnir because it is a true all-rounder, if you have the OP and flux to spare.  If not, or you cannot find Mjolnir, HAG or even Hellbore is a good alternative, but that means I need to replace the Maulers with either HVDs (and give up DPS) or Heavy Needlers (and give up range).

Asura can be outfitted and played almost like a Dominator, except it is faster and missing a few weapons.  It can dodge stuff, but why go through the risk of getting shot when you do not need to.  That is, if I can smash and outrange the enemy, why would I want to get within weapons range of the enemy?  That does not mean I will only use weapons with the most range, or else I would mount Gauss Cannon and plink with it only; probably a bad idea with Asura's low peak performance.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: April 03, 2015, 10:37:33 AM »

Ohh, I guess SS+ does some modifications to the Mjolnir. Yeah, looking at the stats on the Starsector Wiki, I'd probably do just fine using Mjolnir as my main gun. It's more situational in SS+.

Re: Kiting. I suppose that's true if you don't field NPC ships on your side, but for fleet-on-fleet, kiting becomes a bit redundant since if you're not getting hit, someone else is probably getting hit instead. Dispatching enemies quickly works better here. As such, my Asura hullmods are Heavy Armour, Thrusters, Unstable Injector and Resistant Flux Conduits. But your weapons loadout still works fine.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 10:42:05 AM by Schwartz »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: April 03, 2015, 10:57:57 AM »

Standard Mjolnir.  I do not play SS+, as I cannot allocate the 2 GB required for SS+ (and other mods).  I cannot run Blackrock for long in Nexerelin before the game hangs or crashes due to insufficient memory.

I tend to field ships either alone (chain-flagships) or in overwhelming numbers (for maximum CR% recovery after standing down).  When I field Asura, it usually fights alone.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: April 03, 2015, 11:02:52 AM »

Megas, have you tried again since 2a? I play SS+ with three extra factions and it works just fine with 1.5 GB. In fact, sometimes I accidentally use the wrong launcher and launch the default configuration of built-in 32-bit java and 1GB memory and it oten works for a couple hours before it crashes. It really has imporved a lot.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: April 03, 2015, 11:18:13 AM »

My (offline) machine does not have Java-64, so I am stuck with whatever the Starsector installer provides.  I have not tried to allocate more than 1 GB recently, though when I tried before, it would not work.  My machine has 8 GB and 64-bit OS, so I would allocate more if I could.

I do not have a gpu, so ShaderLib effects are disabled (but the mod is enabled for mods that need it, like Blackrock).

When I run Nexerelin, the only faction I tried so far that did not have problems was Knights Templar.  Blackrock loads, but sooner or later, my game hangs or crashes.  I tried loading Valkyrians but cannot, even with no other unnecessary mods.  Loading bar goes all the way, but screen never changes.

So far, if I want to use mods, I load very few at a time.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: April 03, 2015, 12:09:04 PM »

My (offline) machine does not have Java-64, so I am stuck with whatever the Starsector installer provides.  I have not tried to allocate more than 1 GB recently, though when I tried before, it would not work.  My machine has 8 GB and 64-bit OS, so I would allocate more if I could.

I do not have a gpu, so ShaderLib effects are disabled (but the mod is enabled for mods that need it, like Blackrock).

When I run Nexerelin, the only faction I tried so far that did not have problems was Knights Templar.  Blackrock loads, but sooner or later, my game hangs or crashes.  I tried loading Valkyrians but cannot, even with no other unnecessary mods.  Loading bar goes all the way, but screen never changes.

So far, if I want to use mods, I load very few at a time.
Good lord, he plays mods when he's not busy being a munchin (or maybe he just does both and I never thought about that before).

So, your offline OS is 64-bit (if I read that right)?  If you do have another machine with internet connect, even for a few minutes a day, there's a 64-bit offline version of Java available to download from the website.  Means you can download the entire 64-bit java version from the website and not have to go to the internet to grab the rest of the files.  Get that .exe file into a USB drive and transfer it to the offline computer.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: April 03, 2015, 03:30:51 PM »

I have played mods for various games over the years.  I prefer to stick with standard for most games, except for mods I make.  In case of Starsector, I especially prefer to stick with standard until the game is officially done.  Building a single character in Starsector takes a good chunk of my free time, unless I cheat via dev mode.  That does not mean I will not play mods occasionally.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: April 03, 2015, 03:39:18 PM »

I have played mods for various games over the years.  I prefer to stick with standard for most games, except for mods I make.  In case of Starsector, I especially prefer to stick with standard until the game is officially done.  Building a single character in Starsector takes a good chunk of my free time, unless I cheat via dev mode.  That does not mean I will not play mods occasionally.
You can use the console commands and save transfer mods to transfer your save from one save game to the other
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: April 03, 2015, 06:52:29 PM »

Have you tried what I said at some point, Megas?  Just curious if that'll work or not.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: April 04, 2015, 03:45:25 AM »

Would anyone mind explaining to me how the Scalar Deracinator actually works? I've taken my Karkinos into four or five different battles now and come out with a tiny fragment of hull remaining each time because I don't understand how this thing works strategically besides just being a teleporter. At what point does it "suck things in?" I've yet to notice it even do anything upon activation or "firing," and only once noticed anything on "landing" when a Lasher under pressure from my fighters was pushed to overload when I landed vaguely near it.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: April 04, 2015, 05:15:56 AM »

It doesn't suck anything in, you're confusing it with the Scalar Rejector, the right-click ability of the Imaginos. Deracinator is just a teleport that does a little damage on arrival.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: April 04, 2015, 05:21:54 AM »

@ TheSoldier:  I had very little time to actually play any game since your last post (and what little free time I had went to Transcendence, not Starsector).  Even if I had time, I am very reluctant to add Java-64 on my machine just for a single game.  I am not hardcore enough to care about having every last mod or feature for a game that is still an alpha.  Standard base game of Starsector runs fine without new bells-and-whistles.

Tommy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: April 04, 2015, 05:22:37 AM »

That's exactly right.

Land vaguely near enemies and you will damage them. The effect is more pronounced with frigates or less armored bigger ones.

Cathair

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: April 04, 2015, 12:40:46 PM »

It does far more damage to shields than it does to armor- at least in 0.7.3, I haven't played with it yet in the new version. It can reliably overload other battleships if you hit their shields with the shockwave, but don't expect any fireworks if you land beside something with decent armor that has its shields down.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 209