Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Ship system on fighters. AI doesn't use it.  (Read 2174 times)

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Ship system on fighters. AI doesn't use it.
« on: August 19, 2012, 02:59:51 AM »

I tried to put a ship system on the warthog fighter, it works (if i take control of the fighter i can use the ship system and the other fighters in the wing will use it as well), but the AI seems unable to use it.
I tried with burn drive, maneuvering jets and another system i made, but those fighters never took advantage of their system, like it wasn't there.  :(

Maybe the "role" (the field we define in wing_data.csv: ASSAULT, FIGHTER, BOMBER or SUPPORT) doesn't take ship systems into consideration? Just a thought.  :)
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ship system on fighters. AI doesn't use it.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 03:03:27 AM »

What if you make it into a drone?

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 03:57:55 AM »

Burn Drive works on Tridents, EMP works on Wasps, PD Drones work on all fighters, Phase teleporters however act awkward as only the leader uses it.

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 08:08:34 AM »

I was entirely wrong, those warthogs use the burn drive, only not so often as i'd like.  ;)
I'm having a lot of fun putting some system on fighters. :D

But i get an error if i put flare launchers on daggers. I can begin the battle, but in a few seconds Starfarer crashes and i get this in the log file:

35298 [Thread-6] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.String  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at org.lwjgl.util.vector.Vector2f.set(Vector2f.java:87)
   at org.lwjgl.util.vector.Vector2f.<init>(Vector2f.java:63)
   at com.fs.starfarer.prototype.OOoO.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.ai.system.D.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.ai.FighterAI.ÒÖ0000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.OOoO.öOÓ000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.oOOO.A.new(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.String.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

This problem is present only if my ship is equipped with missiles, otherwise i can fight normally.  :-\
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 08:19:13 AM »

Yeah, the AI's usage of systems on fighters is rather hit-or-miss at this point. The wingmen will try to follow the leader's cue, but that only works for systems with an active duration - so, not for something like teleport. This is one of the pitfalls of having something be doable via modding that the core game doesn't do at all (i.e., no fighters have systems... yet?)  - I can't really justify spending a lot of time cleaning it up, and AI things really do take a long time.

Fixed up that exception - would only happen for bombers with shields, btw.

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 11:41:36 AM »

After all, if anyone feels the need of a phase teleporter on a fighter he could simply make a wing made of a single fighter.  ;D

Thanks for the fix!  :D
I guess i'll stick to a burn drive for my daggers until next release.  :)