Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Starfarer Mod Manager (0.1.3 alpha) - download available!  (Read 45564 times)

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
Starfarer Mod Manager (0.1.3 alpha) - download available!
« on: August 17, 2012, 10:36:34 AM »

After a few sleepless nights, and a few rainy days (although I actually started the development around 3 weeks ago), I present to you...

Starfarer Mod Manager
version 0.1.3 (alpha)

Why at all? Well, right now we have ~50 mods in the Master Mod List thread. And Starfarer isn't even released! What is going to happen then? A boom of mods!

So even though I'm not too much into SF modding, I came up with an idea (yeah, very original idea) to write a separate mod manager - for those hardcore modding pros out there. The principle behind is to make mod installation, removal, and managing easier for everyone.

Without further ado:

Current features:
- it's fully compatible with built-in SF Launcher, so you can use them both
- shows which mod is a compilation/conversion, intended SF version, mod version
- sorting, by aforementioned criteria (unfortunately, you cannot sort by enabled/disabled property in this version)
- coversion detection, compilation detection (disables all/compiled mods)
- conflict detection for supported mods (look below)
- automatic installation from .zip/.rar/.7z/any-7zip-supported-archive
- drag'n'drop installation - just drag the mod archive to the Manager window, and the mod will be installed right away

Mod support
Every single mod that exists right now, will work with Mod Manager, just as it does with built-in Launcher. However, to take advantage of special features, there are a couple of new variables you (mod author) can add to the mod_info.json file. The format is exactly like it is for built-in variables.

m_incompatibleWith - this is a comma-separated list of mod's internal IDs that are incompatible with your mod. If you don't specify this variable, it means that your mod doesn't conflict with any other mods.
Example:
Code
"m_incompatibleWith":"mrdavidoffs dump, nomads, relics, UomozCorvusIncursionsandRelics15",

m_isVanillaBalanced - this specifies whether your mod is balanced for vanilla game. Default is false.
Example:
Code
"m_isVanillaBalanced":"true",

m_isCompilation - this specifies whether your mod is a compilation of other mods. Use it with additional variable m_compilationModList described below. Default is false.
Example:
Code
"m_isCompilation":"true",

m_compilationModList - this, combined with m_isCompilation, provides a list of mods (internal IDs to be specific) included in your compilation. These mods, if installed before on user's machine, will be disabled when this compilation is enabled.
Example:
Code
"m_compilationModList":"nomads, relics",

Possible future features:
- per-file conflict detection (working for any mod, and with deadly accuracy)
- automatic listing&downloading&updating mods (that would require a FTP mod hosting server)
- automatic handling of mod archives during downloading, by using new file extension (.sfmod, simply archive with changed extension to intercept the file during browser download and open it straightaway)
- all suggestions are taken under consideration so don't hesitate to comment!

Download
http://www.mediafire.com/?ku5jxricj6hio77

It requires .NET Framework 4.0, available here if you don't have it already installed. It should work on Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8.

You have to install it into your Starfarer directory, so if you edit installation directory, DO SO CAREFULLY.

Remember, this is alpha, so expect crashes all the time! But don't worry about your mods/game, the only time Manager modifies your disk is when installing (that is safe, since done by 7zip) a mod, or deleting (this is also safe, since done by Windows) a mod.

If you encounter a crash, or bug, please write in this thread/write me a PM/email-me and link smm_log.txt file, located in %APPDATA%\Starfarer Mod Manager\ (%APPDATA% is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming in default, though you can use %APPDATA% variable in the Explorer path). The log file enables me to find the cause of crash/bug.

About:
Written fully in C#, and WPF, with additional WPFExtended Toolkit, plus OokiiDialogs for .NET 4.0. 7zip used for unpacking mod archives.

Again, all comments, suggestions, constructive criticism are welcome and wanted!

Release notes:
- fixed mod_info parsing problems when dealing with unexpected whitespaces
- fixed conflict detection, now properly fires up only when two (or more) conflicting mods are enabled
- fixed the possibility of enabling mods while there is conversion enabled, or a compilation that already includes particular mod
- log file is now saved to a user-specific directory, located in %APPDATA%\Starfarer Mod Manager\ (%APPDATA% is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming in default, though you can use %APPDATA% variable in the Explorer path)

- fixed installation directory confusion in installer
- fixed some incompabilites with "replace" tag in mod_info.json file
- added logging capabilities

Also, I wanted to say that I will be on top of the world if even one person uses this. Really.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 03:03:54 PM by neonesis »

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer Mod Manager (0.1 alpha)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 10:46:23 AM »

Finally ^^
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer Mod Manager (0.1 alpha)
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 12:11:50 PM »

Really great job!

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer Mod Manager (0.1 alpha) - download available!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 01:16:48 PM »

Included download, so you can crash-test it right away.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »

Included download, so you can crash-test it right away.
Hehe, I'll break it soon
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 02:14:39 PM »

It requires .NET Framework 4.0, available here if you don't have it already installed. It should work on Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8.

Neonesis, what are the chances of an eventual Mac version?
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 02:17:53 PM »

Can you set red color if the version is different from the game one, for example you got alot mods from 0.51a and green, in this case the version 0.53.1a

theSONY

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 02:18:56 PM »

:'(
well you can be on TOP but not with filehosing ... common!  :-\

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 02:21:26 PM »

YAY! Updating my mod_info with new data right now!

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 02:22:37 PM »

Well, sadly I'm using very specific Windows technology for this program - but! Since I somewhat managed to divide the GUI and what's under the hood, there are chances for a complete rewrite into Java, instead of C#. This would allow for near-instant availability on all platforms.

Right now however, I'm focused on C#/WPF version, since it's the first one. I would also like to introduce the per-file conflict detection first, and then move on to more general stuff.

Can you set red color if the version is different from the game one, for example you got alot mods from 0.51a and green, in this case the version 0.53.1a
Quite possibly, will work on that.

well you can be on TOP but not with filehosing ... common!  :-\
What is wrong with filehosting? For you - http://www.mediafire.com/?1aq1npze7ro2vtu

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 02:30:19 PM »

well you can be on TOP but not with filehosing ... common!  :-\
What is wrong with filehosting? For you - http://www.mediafire.com/?1aq1npze7ro2vtu

Yes, Mediafire and Dropbox, i personally think you should try Dropbox.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 02:32:06 PM »

Well, sadly I'm using very specific Windows technology for this program - but! Since I somewhat managed to divide the GUI and what's under the hood, there are chances for a complete rewrite into Java, instead of C#. This would allow for near-instant availability on all platforms.

Right now however, I'm focused on C#/WPF version, since it's the first one. I would also like to introduce the per-file conflict detection first, and then move on to more general stuff.

What about Mono? I have no idea how good it actually is, but it seems like a way to get a C# program to run on Mac/Linux. Assuming it's not an enormous pain to set up and use.

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 02:38:50 PM »

What about Mono? I have no idea how good it actually is, but it seems like a way to get a C# program to run on Mac/Linux. Assuming it's not an enormous pain to set up and use.
I will look into this as well, thanks for idea Alex - I've forgotten about Mono.

EDIT: Also, still zero epic crash reports?
EDIT2: Mono does not support (and doesn't plan to) Windows Platform Foundation, which is the base for GUI. So no Mono I guess :/
EDIT3: Or, I could simply throw away WPF on other platforms, and use Mono/GTK+ instead. Might be worth looking into.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:48:39 PM by neonesis »

theSONY

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 03:24:17 PM »

thx for the mediafire :)
BUT looks like this wont work for me (i mean menager,not link)
i got .NET Framework 4.0 (got Terraria & this is Must have)
i instal this in game folder but i got crashes all the time, oh well i just wait for another ver. maybe i'll have more luck

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 03:26:20 PM »

Adding the new lines makes the vanilla launcher crash :(.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5