Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New Onslaught is a Beast!  (Read 10600 times)

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
New Onslaught is a Beast!
« on: August 17, 2012, 12:14:11 AM »

I'll admit, I never really got on with the Onslaught. Too slow, too hard to turn, too easy to flank, and with all said and done just not enough firepower to justify the frustration of waiting to get into the action. The Conquest was faster and more maneuverable with the ability to bring almost as much firepower to bear, and the Paragon could outrange and outlast it.

With the new patch, the combination of Burn Drive and the Thermal Pulse Cannons + Mark IX Autocannons + Integrated Targeting Unit, this thing is terrifying. Absolutely capable of taking on entire fleets at range, and survivable enough to handily win a slugfest against a Conquest and two Dominators in the simulator.

And, with Burn Drive, there's less enemies running away, and less waiting to get into the action.

Kudos to Alex for making the ancient behemoth scary again!

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
Re: New Onslaught is a Beast!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »

YEA-
emp emitter
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 12:58:59 AM »

I've always loved the thing - even before Burn Drive. :o

Haha, and now with Burn Drive, Thermal Pulse Cannons, and tons of new Ordinance Points its like the Second Coming. ;D If the darn thing didn't handle like a drunken whale and have such low stock flux dissipation it'd walk all over the Paragon.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 03:15:23 AM »

MUTTHA FRAKING YAY!
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 06:29:17 AM »

But siously, 40 extra free OP and two REALLY GOOD weapons is one of the best buffs that could come around.
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 07:16:13 AM »

I thought TPCs were somewhat like Hellbores, but energy. Then I saw their DPS.

Onslaught is... well it's a true ONSLAUGHT now.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 09:04:02 AM »

But siously, 40 extra free OP and two REALLY GOOD weapons is one of the best buffs that could come around.

Not just really good - BEST, without any other large energy coming anywhere close. With their stats these could probably be viable (as large energy slot) even at 50 OP cost per single weapon, with 40 being a steal...

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 09:14:19 AM »

Not just really good - BEST, without any other large energy coming anywhere close. With their stats these could probably be viable (as large energy slot) even at 50 OP cost per single weapon, with 40 being a steal...
Except HEF and plasma cannons is a rapid fire AM blaster...
Not to mention actually having AMs in the smalls. The amount of damage possible with an Odyssey's HEF hurts my eyes. A heckuva lot moreso than the TPCs - even if it is a free extra 40 OP.
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 10:06:22 AM »

Except HEF and plasma cannons is a rapid fire AM blaster...
Not to mention actually having AMs in the smalls. The amount of damage possible with an Odyssey's HEF hurts my eyes. A heckuva lot moreso than the TPCs - even if it is a free extra 40 OP.

AM blaster is small, so don't see any point comparing these two. + In current patch it has been buffed, and has one of better flux efficiencies, while plasma cannon is as always amongst worst. I find plasma good only on Apogee of all vanilla ships (Odyssey with plasma is too flux unstable for my tastes), and even that because this ship simply can't use up offensively it's flux rate in any other meaningful way due to lack of slots.

Otherwise TPC's hard flux , high efficiency & long range are exactly the stats that define the best weapon.

PS: mixed up Apogee and Odyssey:), fixed that...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:12:41 AM by TaLaR »

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 10:38:09 AM »

Only problem:  Now the Conquest is the weakest Capital Ship.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 10:40:46 AM »

pretty sure that's still the astral...

unless atlas counts as a capital ship, but I'm thinking you are talking about ships for combat
mmm.... tartiflette

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 10:52:50 AM »

pretty sure that's still the astral...

unless atlas counts as a capital ship, but I'm thinking you are talking about ships for combat

Yes, the Astral is the best carrier while the Atlas is the best freighter.  However, out of the combat ships the Conquest is not the weakest.  The Odyssey is fire support.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 10:53:37 AM »

Good!  :D

I too love the Conquest, but given it's the fastest, least expensive, and cheapest to field, it always seemed perverse that it was also one of the most powerful.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 10:59:51 AM »

I tested this theory, and while it doesn't have the OMG OWNS FACE factor of a new custom Onslaught, it's much easier to fly and can get scarily fast and maneuverable. It's great support against large capitals (the long range ballistic firepower it can bring to bear is pretty impressive) and it is very dangerous against multiple cruisers while being less vulnerable to flanking.

Also, Omens aren't a problem; they have to get very close to the Onslaught in order to use their EMP, and Omens tend to die well before they get in range. The phase ship with the EMP system is dangerous, but typically can't disable enough weapons fast enough to survive.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 11:03:47 AM »

The problem with the Omen is that their shield efficiency was cut by more than half.
Pages: [1] 2 3