Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Go to location fleet assignment that ignores hostiles.  (Read 2259 times)

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
Go to location fleet assignment that ignores hostiles.
« on: August 15, 2012, 11:03:24 AM »

A fleet assignment I could use to tell fleets to go to a location and ignore hostiles along the way would be very helpful. It's really irritating in the Fleet Control Mod to watch my miners and my station convoy make a beeline for every smaller pirate they see, as well as bail off track when a bigger fleet comes for them, even if they can get away by just going to their location.

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Go to location fleet assignment that ignores hostiles.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 12:27:54 PM »

Heh, I was just thinking about that when using that mod and watching the HQ take forever to get delivered to a planet only a short distance away. It was both hilarious and painful to watch. However, I'm expecting there to be a lot more of this sort of thing getting fleshed out in future updates now that combat is mostly finished. We'll probably just have to wait.  :P

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 12:38:06 PM »

Yeah, I HAD to give the Atlas bodyguards, a rather significant number, because it would see pirates, go "OOOH SHINY!" and get itself murdered each and every time. Y'know, that bugger is actually pretty fast on it's own...

A function like this would do WONDERS for my mod.

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 01:19:58 PM »

Yeah, I HAD to give the Atlas bodyguards, a rather significant number, because it would see pirates, go "OOOH SHINY!" and get itself murdered each and every time. Y'know, that bugger is actually pretty fast on it's own...

A function like this would do WONDERS for my mod.
And now that it has bodyguards, it currently chases after even bigger pirate fleets, who are only too happy to assault my investment.
But I digress. The game's mod support, to my knowledge, allows you to override any game files at all. I don't know how good of a Java programmer you are, but I assume you could write it into the main game files if you could figure it out. It would be an interesting to see someone come up with an extended command library mod that would allow other modders more options and flexibility.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 01:34:24 PM »

You could, but it's possibly (probably, I think?) against the license agreement as they're all bundled up in the jar file.  Same sort of worm-can as Minecraft mods.

It might well break other mods along the way, too.

I'd love to see such an assignment also, for the record.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 01:49:46 PM »

+1 for this idea. :)

The game's mod support, to my knowledge, allows you to override any game files at all. I don't know how good of a Java programmer you are, but I assume you could write it into the main game files if you could figure it out. It would be an interesting to see someone come up with an extended command library mod that would allow other modders more options and flexibility.

I have to correct you on this one. The new license agreement explicitly forbids this sort of thing. Use the API only, folks. ;)

Quote from: LICENSE.txt
You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:

a. In whole or in part, copy or reproduce (except as provided herein), translate,
   reverse engineer, derive source code from, modify, disassemble, decompile, or
   create derivative works based on the Game;
b. Exploit the Game or any of its parts (or any Mods) for any commercial purpose
   without Fractal Softworks’s express permission,
c. Modify or cause to be modified any files that are a part of the Game in any way
   not expressly authorized by Fractal Softworks;
or
d. Attempt to sell, sublicense, rent, lease, grant a security interest in or
   otherwise transfer any copy of the Game or your rights to the Game to any
   other party in any way not expressly authorized herein.

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 01:56:56 PM »

Well then, that's easy to get around. It only says 'unauthorized'. So work on the mod in private all you like, but show it to Alex and get permission before posting. It goes without saying that any mods posted here are non-commercial. The point of this is to prevent theft, not limit creativity. As long as Alex is on board before anything gets posted, anything's possible. If it was some big company, getting permission would be a nightmare, but Alex is super-accessible (hooray for indie devs!).

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to advocate breaking the license agreement, but saying that it could still be done if properly pursued through the right channels and with permission.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:50:19 PM by DelicateTask »