Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alert priorities?  (Read 2965 times)

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
Alert priorities?
« on: October 11, 2011, 04:22:50 AM »

I got to thinking... It's not uncommon for me to miss some important events in a battle when I'm engaged in a close fight with enemy forces. There's the event list scrolling in the upper left corner, but in larger battles much of the information in it (wing X is returning to carrier and the like) is of minor importance and it's easy to miss the important messages if you're busy with something else.

So would it be possible to highlight the more important messages somehow? Something like a visual emphasis on those items as well as a more conspicuous alert tone when it happens? Ideally, what counts as significant might even change depending on battle size - in a battle with 25 fleet points the destruction of a single interceptor wing can be important, in a battle with cruisers everywhere it's distinctly less so. Likewise, losing or gaining objectives on the map tends to be more important than a fighter wing launch from a carrier. So I think it might be a good idea for the game to emphasise the bigger stuff somehow.

What do you think?

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Alert priorities?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 11:56:37 AM »

I agree, maybe there will eventually be an options menu for Alerts, so that we can manually set some of the options and priorities on each type of alert, similar to how we can modify floating combat text and suchlike in various other games. 

I particularly agree about the losing and gaining objectives on the map part at some point needing to be more bold in its alert relative to other things. 

I think I am more excited about this game than any other that is currently in development, aside from maybe SWTOR.  :)
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 05:42:16 PM »

Right, that message list needs (and will get) more work. One thing that's in the pipeline already is sound cues for important events like objectives changing hands. The rest of it, well... it needs to be cleaned up and re-worked. One thing in particular I'd like to convey through the messages is the personality of the officers under your command, so you get some insight into why they're doing the things they're are doing... and what those things actually are.

Just how that's going to shape up is as yet TBD.

I think I am more excited about this game than any other that is currently in development, aside from maybe SWTOR.  :)

Well now, that's quite a compliment :)

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 09:26:21 PM »

Right, that message list needs (and will get) more work. One thing that's in the pipeline already is sound cues for important events like objectives changing hands. The rest of it, well... it needs to be cleaned up and re-worked. One thing in particular I'd like to convey through the messages is the personality of the officers under your command, so you get some insight into why they're doing the things they're are doing... and what those things actually are.

Just how that's going to shape up is as yet TBD.

Ah, nice! Also, it's amusing to see how once again the testers suggest a feature only to be replied "yeah, we're planning on doing essentially that, only we also consider this other thing as well".  :)

I think I am more excited about this game than any other that is currently in development, aside from maybe SWTOR.  :)

I think I share that sentiment, only replacing SWTOR with Sword of the Stars 2.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 10:04:28 AM »

I think I am more excited about this game than any other that is currently in development, aside from maybe SWTOR.  :)

I think I share that sentiment, only replacing SWTOR with Sword of the Stars 2.

Ditto, except Diablo III.

On topic: I've gotten into the habit of just pausing every 10-30 seconds to double-check the tactical situation, if it's a large battle.  For smaller battles, that tends to be much less important, and the current message list system works ok.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.