Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weapon Damage Control  (Read 2182 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Weapon Damage Control
« on: August 12, 2012, 05:54:15 PM »

Basically, I'd like the classes of damage (i.e. ENERGY, KINETIC, etc.) to become shorthand flags, that if left null, can be substituted for completely different values, expressed as a float or percentile and modifiable via MutableValues.

Examples of use:

1.  Pure shield-killer weapons.  EMP doesn't seem to work as a substitute when tested, without all sorts of undesirable knock-on effects.
2.  Weapons whose hull or Flux damage changes over time.  For example, a weapon that needs to "heat up" before it reaches maximum efficiency, trading time / ammo / flux for best performance.
3.  Once we have more control over ship behaviors, we can tie System use to complex effects, for example, "draining the power" from ENERGY type weapons and lowering their Flux costs and performance while boosting a specific weapon (if installed).  This would go very well with the "hull-specific weapons" idea proposed, in terms of allowing for super-ships with terrible weaknesses.

It'd also be cool if we could switch a given weapon's Proj to visually reflect the changes wrought by code :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Damage Control
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 05:57:13 PM »

Out of all of this, the only ideas I like are the ideas of 'warming up' a weapon. And the visual changes to projectiles. I'd like to see when ships are using energy weapons under high flux. Maybe an unstable warbling effect on beam weapons, and a generally chaotic look to projectiles like the bolt of the Heavy Blaster?

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 05:57:19 PM »

Soo, this is more of a modding thing? And you want a weapon to do only one kind of damage?

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 06:04:47 PM »

Soo, this is more of a modding thing? And you want a weapon to do only one kind of damage?

I think what he wants is something better than Kinetic weaponry, at the expense of being utterly useless against a ship itself.
Perhaps some kind of weapon that causes shield feedback, causing the shield flux per second to go through the roof?
He also appeared to have wanted a paramater much like chargeup, but instead, it'd be something like 'time to max efficiency'. Think along the lines of a gatling gun needing to spool up to fire at max RPM.
His third idea is something that could probably be implemented quite easily, as several systems already have the ability to disable certain mechanics of a ship while active (Burn Drive disables maneuvering, shields. EMP Emitter disables weapons). That way, it could be believed that ships are having to redirect the energy from their weapons and channel it into the ship's superweapon instead.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 06:20:02 PM »

It's a "modding thing", yes; there are other uses for this stuff, especially if there's a callin event that occurs when damage is dealt by weapons, but I won't bore people describing things that can't exist yet :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack