Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Rare loot (yeah i know BUT it's not ships)  (Read 3532 times)

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Rare loot (yeah i know BUT it's not ships)
« on: August 12, 2012, 12:43:05 PM »

I use search and didn't find any suggestion about this. I'm sorry if this been suggested before.
So, what about some rare and unique weapons. It could be completely new weapons (  not very likely, make bunch of weapons sprite so it cold be only found once... ) OR it could be moded version of current weapons with slightly color change or something like that.That weapons cold have better dmg or range or flux consumption or fire rate or, well you get the picture.I think it could be loreable, when Domain collapsed some prototypes was scattered all over the place changing hands and having astronomical ( or less) value on black market. Some was hidden, some was lost some was in use etc. It would give player an tiny edge over it's opponents but not too much :) And if you lost ship with that weapon it's lost for gooood :)

So, what do you think?  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
Re: Rare loot (yeah i know BUT it's not ships)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 12:56:15 PM »

If such a found weapon gives its owner only a tiny edge against its opponents, then why bother with it? ???

Of course if they're then made strong enough to be greatly desired, then they're very likely also overpowered in some way. I don't dispute that this feature could be lore-able, as you stated; rather that it would be difficult to also keep it from being a potential balance issue and for rather little positive addition to actual gameplay.

Not easy to tread a safe, middle development path and still keep this feature interesting enough to go to the trouble of implementing it. But if such could be done, then some form of "rare loot" would be nice. Further points of view would be welcome here.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:07:28 PM by Archduke Astro »
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 01:08:33 PM »

I think the best way to implement rare/unique weapons would be to alter the way in which damage is dealt, because just beefing up the damage/range (range might be 'Okay') could lead to it being a bit OP.

So for example, an assault gun with a faster fire rate and more ammo. Or an MIRV that has double the warheads but half the ammo. As for lasers? the only thing I can think of is adding impact or EMP.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 01:16:33 PM »

It could be many things. Like micro lance that can be mounted on medium WS. Or nano Lance that can be mounted on small WS. Ofc those weapons would have less power/range/etc than original Lance. OR you could have Mega Vulcan for large WS with, duno, 7 barrels etc.
Creator of:

Brainbread

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 10:50:28 AM »

Adding +/- modifiers on weapons range/damage/speed/flux could achieve the role of "Rare Loot", but it would be a nightmare to manage. Unlike in M&B where you're the only person benefiting from a great weapon, or fantastic armour, your entire fleet is able to benefit from the gear.

Since weapons are already easily obtainable, having a negative modifier is probably not the way to go. Though having slightly better weapons, eg, Plasma Cannon with +10% Damage, +5 Refire rate, etc could add to the game, in that it gives people something to spend their cash on and strive for.

It'd also add a bit more of a feeling of attachment to certain ships, if they're decked out. Though that'd have to be combined with an option like M&B where there is no "Quit without saving" to avoid people reloading every time they lose one of those special weapons.

Another option could a research sort of option, where you can leave weapons you've obtained in a Research Tab on a space station for some cost, and every week or so, they gain an attribute (max of one, etc). Give people a way of upgrading their fleet at the cost of money, but making it a sort of "End Game" thing because of cost. Could set Research Assignments for stations that'd upgrade weapons with a greater propensity of the Assignment (Eg, Support assignments would result in more efficient, or higher ranged weapons, Assault might be Attack Speed and Damage, and Recon might give weapons cheaper cost to fire, and enhance secondary effects like EMP, etc).

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 10:54:48 AM »

If there is going to be "rare loot" in the game, I'd prefer it be something that gives an entire ship (or fleet) a bonus, rather than a single weapon.

I don't remember who, but someone suggested one time use items that you can use to put distinct hull mods on ships. I thought that was cool, and I think it would work well in combination with this idea. Maybe an item you can carry around in your cargo hold that would give fleet-wide bonuses.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 11:00:43 AM »

Welcome to the forum :)

Adding +/- modifiers on weapons range/damage/speed/flux could achieve the role of "Rare Loot", but it would be a nightmare to manage. Unlike in M&B where you're the only person benefiting from a great weapon, or fantastic armour, your entire fleet is able to benefit from the gear.

Well yes you could give weapon to any ship in your fleet but still it's just one weapon, so i wouldn't say that entire fleet would benefit from it, just that one ship who has it. :)
Creator of:

Brainbread

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 12:11:33 PM »

Welcome to the forum :)

Well yes you could give weapon to any ship in your fleet but still it's just one weapon, so i wouldn't say that entire fleet would benefit from it, just that one ship who has it. :)

I'm not sure you're understanding the reference.

The comparison in M&B is that weapons are extremely expensive when they're good, and only the PC can use them (and companions, but they're marginal). Whereas in Starfarer, it can't be balanced around only the player having it, because any ship in the fleet can be outfitted with it.

When you have a wide variety of qualities in M&B, its not really an issue to micromanage. You're only ever outfitting on character (or one "Ship"), giving that level of micromanaging the OK. Whereas in Starfarer, since you manage your entire fleet, having subpar items is not really acceptable, because there are too many things to manage, and adding underperforming gear to the game wouldn't make it any more fun.

But thats just clarifying myself.

I think a single better weapon can make all the difference in a fleet; think of how much a Tachyon Lance changes how you play, how it affects your strategies. Same goes for the effect of crew; 20% less damage damage for Elite crew is a huge bonus to a ship, and how a ship plays out can make all the difference in the whole of a battle.

Little bonuses to a single ship can greatly effect the outcome of a battle. And when you start stacking up those bonuses across an entire fleet, it can be pretty effective. You could elite your weapons!