Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Opening Cinematic  (Read 4402 times)

Sarolveldruk

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Opening Cinematic
« on: August 12, 2012, 11:13:46 AM »

With the majority of Starfarer's lore located on the main website and the codex, a more immersive and up front means of 'telling the story of Starfarer' in the form of a cinematic, or semi-animated slideshow that is presented after starting a new campaign would serve to set the lore directly into the game itself, introducing the audience to the gritty dystopian setting we're all familiar with.

It likely wouldn't be anything fancy, just something more along the lines of the cinematic from SoaSE:

http://youtu.be/qD-VDnlnfOw

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Cinematic
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 11:16:54 AM »

I dont imagine that this will be happening for a good long while yet, But you can be fairly certain that it will happen, at some point.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

RSS_Ornel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 11:55:17 AM »

This has been suggested before and the consensus  was that this will probably come later after the campaign had been fleshed out.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 07:26:36 PM »

But you can be fairly certain that it will happen, at some point.
I don't recall any dev ever saying that there is definitely going to be an opening cinematic...

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 03:24:49 AM »

most games have some sort of introduction, or cinematic at some point. and the key word was fairly, not absolutely.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 03:40:42 AM »

It likely wouldn't be anything fancy, just something more along the lines of the cinematic from SoaSE:

http://youtu.be/qD-VDnlnfOw

I would love to see something like the Homeworld cut scenes again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfcj9epbJzc&feature=related

Its basically static pictures like in Sins, but with objects shifted against the background so it looks much more dynamic and beautiful.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 12:36:36 PM »

Sorry for the necroposting but i wouldnt want to make another thread just to post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUD-luJB1kU

In my opinion fits really well with how the cinematics both ingame and opening should look on starfarer

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 12:54:26 PM »

But you can be fairly certain that it will happen, at some point.
I don't recall any dev ever saying that there is definitely going to be an opening cinematic...
most games have some sort of introduction, or cinematic at some point. and the key word was fairly, not absolutely.

True to point, not absolutely. But - there have been some screenshots (Of which i can't find the origin) that atleast looked to me like they'd fit in a opening cinematic. Though honestly? To me, that's just a blatant waste of the developer's time, time that could be spent coding something else (Or taking a vacation to recover from being burnt-out thanks to us :P)