Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: The mining blaster  (Read 2606 times)

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
The mining blaster
« on: August 11, 2012, 05:20:12 AM »

What do you think of this weapon? Do you use it?
I love it on the Venture, simply because that weapon plus the pilums can keep at bay most of the frigates and some destroyers with no problems whatsoever, but i also use 2 of them on my Hyperion just because they have a much higher per-shot damage than the heavy blaster (600 vs 400, iirc) and they don't have a very long chargedown like the am blaster does, so i can teleport in, shoot the blasters, teleport out, vent and repeat all of the above at a quick pace.  :)
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The mining blaster
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 05:30:02 AM »

Actually, I think the Heavy Blaster does fare better in every regard than the Mining Blaster. However, I prefer that healthy red glow and the design of the weapon means it doesn't look so out of place on something like a Conquest.

EDIT:
Kids, this is why you don't leave your games playing.
http://puu.sh/QGML
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 05:31:34 AM by IIE16 Yoshi »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 05:52:44 AM »

Not every regard, just every except first shot after Hyperion teleportation. You have time for 1 shot only (before enemy can raise shield), and are probably going to vent soon enough, so less efficiency than heavy blaster isn't too important. Am blaster on the other hand has too slow recharge for repeating this cycle at optimal pace...

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 08:57:38 AM »

I just wish there were an efficient medium energy weapon that deals hard flux (ie. not a beam). I feel like the heavy blaster is the best of the bunch (not TERRIBLY inefficient, same range as pulse laser, high alpha strike(very useful against armor)), but the AI doesn't throttle its use as much as I'd like. They use it so much that it forces their soft flux near the limit, which makes them drop shields to avoid an overload, which leads to taking unnecessary damage. The only reason I don't use the Mining Blaster is because it's even more inefficient than that. I almost feel like it should have 75% flux efficiency instead of 50% due to its other limitations.

Recently, I've been using the pulse laser a lot more, though. It's mainly because it makes the AI behave a bit more aggressively, use its flux better (nearly flux stable in most cases), and vent at better times for whatever reason.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »

Actually, I think the Heavy Blaster does fare better in every regard than the Mining Blaster. However, I prefer that healthy red glow and the design of the weapon means it doesn't look so out of place on something like a Conquest.

EDIT:
Kids, this is why you don't leave your games playing.
http://puu.sh/QGML

Press the Escape key to ignore the engagement.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »

Press the Escape key to ignore the engagement.

That's dev-mode only...