Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Integrated Weapon Systems  (Read 4719 times)

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Integrated Weapon Systems
« on: August 11, 2012, 03:26:50 AM »

So, now with ship systems in the game, I don't think I've seen any ships, modded or otherwise with an integrated weapon. You've probably seen modded ships with that one really powerful weapon that looks like it's mounted directly into the hull. (The Faithoper of the Relics mod is a good example) Except that such weapons can easily be removed and fitted to other ships. So instead of being a standard weapon that can easily be removed and mounted elsewhere... Why not have ship systems that are quite simply weapons. Then mod makers could create ships that are literally space-borne guns, having only a couple PD weapons, and their single ship system that comprises 99% of it's firepower.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Integrated Weapon Systems
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 04:01:00 AM »

I remember actually seeing weapon-system in IFed mod somewhere... Quite inconvenient to use, since it doesn't handle like a weapon (no visible firing arc, no auto fire possibility...). Implementing such *systems* as hull-fixed weapons would be more convenient (though as far as i remember there is no such feature currently).

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 04:54:41 AM »

One would expect that such a weapon so intimately a part of a ship's hull would only be able to fire forwards with no turning involved. It could also lead to things such as being able to disable the rest of a ship's weapons and down their shields while the weapon charges to fire. Perhaps even a forced overload afterwards while the ship recovers from firing.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 09:03:16 AM »

This may have been suggested once or twice before... :) It's also something I've been meaning to look at doing since before the very first release. Oddly enough, I'm actually looking at this right now - don't get your hopes up, though. If it turns out to be too hairy I'll probably punt on it, at least for the time being.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 09:48:46 AM »

Oh dang :(

And I had such grand visions of a conquest sporting an orbital assault cannon...

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

RSS_Ornel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 08:55:43 AM »

One would expect that such a weapon so intimately a part of a ship's hull would only be able to fire forwards with no turning involved. It could also lead to things such as being able to disable the rest of a ship's weapons and down their shields while the weapon charges to fire. Perhaps even a forced overload afterwards while the ship recovers from firing.
Like the corruptions super ship from the forces of corruption expansion to empire at war(great game by the way). It fired a massive destructive bolt of energy and then was disabled for a few seconds and had to recharge to fire again.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 12:14:46 PM »

Doesn't the 'Hidden' status make it impossible to remove?

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »

No, it just hides the gun. Good for making ships styled more like older wooden ships, where all the guns are hidden away inside the hole and shoot through gun ports, rather than modern ships that proudly display all their guns in their turrets. Hidden weapons can still be removed and replaced with different weapons like normal.

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 12:21:12 PM »

A few mods contain ships that are meant to have a certain weapon in a certain slot -- the Elder Faithopper is 'meant' to have an Ultima in its single large hardpoint, whereas the Nomad Gila Monster is supposed to have the (I can't remember its name right now, some powerful energy weapon the Nomad modder added in), and in the same mod the Yellowjacket "Sniper Frigate" is supposed to have the (horrible underpowered) something-or-other Maser. Of course, you can slot anything else in there, and those weapons can be put in other ships, but you get the idea...

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 12:23:21 PM »

Reminds me of the 'Locked' slot.

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 12:32:01 PM »

Those are all ships that could benefit from their main weapon becoming a ship system. Also, the Yellowjacket's Maser isn't that underpowered. Against other large energy weapons, it is fairly awful, but it started life as a medium slot weapon, which meant that you could go crazy with putting sniper laser cannons on any ship with medium energy mounts.

perniciousTutor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 07:57:59 AM »

One could do this the EVE Online way, depending on how feasible it would be: employ passive hull bonuses independant of the activated systems.

You could make it open ended to modders in terms of damage, range, flux-use etc (on top of the control someone has in fitting it) but most importantly you could use it to provide a fitting discount to the particular module you want to be exclusive, and then price said module to 900 points or something similarly ridiculous

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 12:28:57 PM »

One could do this the EVE Online way, depending on how feasible it would be: employ passive hull bonuses independant of the activated systems.

You could make it open ended to modders in terms of damage, range, flux-use etc (on top of the control someone has in fitting it) but most importantly you could use it to provide a fitting discount to the particular module you want to be exclusive, and then price said module to 900 points or something similarly ridiculous

I was almost thinking of something like this, especially with regards to my above example of the Gila Monster, its "exclusive" weapon doesn't feel all that exclusive. For that matter, you could have all sorts of bonuses (you can slot any ballistic weapons into an Onslaught, but it gets a slight flux use discount if you go with Autocannons; LRMs will cost fewer OP on a Buffalo; etc.)

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 02:10:04 PM »

Well, now it's part of the game!

:D

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"