Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Maneuvering Jets should work with Flameout  (Read 7570 times)

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: Maneuvering Jets should work with Flameout
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 04:06:02 AM »

why would it have a boost at all??? its maneuvering jets. not thrust booster, its supposed to make you turn faster. not go faster.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 04:13:21 AM »

why would it have a boost at all??? its maneuvering jets. not thrust booster, its supposed to make you turn faster. not go faster.

Well i guess they also cause forward thrust.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 04:15:02 AM »

I'd suggest asking Alex on the development thread, rather than this one, because I'm pretty sure he checks the development threads more often.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 05:36:45 AM »

he checks them all, but there are allot of posts you know. =I

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 06:08:55 AM »

I think it makes sense. Maneuvering jets are distributed everywhere on the hull, some should face or angle to thrust into the forward direction.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 08:04:13 AM »

Manuevering jets is not a weak system. I can kill tempests with my falcon. Though granted the falcon is pretty fast.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 03:57:57 PM »

Manuevering jets is not a weak system. I can kill tempests with my falcon. Though granted the falcon is pretty fast.

Falcon->cruiser
Tempest-> weakest tri-tach frigate (in 0.53a)

Not such an impressive achievement.

Sure manoeuvring jets have made all the mid-line ships better, but when it comes to mobility they're not nearly as useful as the burn drive, skimmers or teleporters.
I think the problem is compounded by the fact that most* of the mid-lines were already a little underpowered to start with.

(*excluding the Conquest)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 04:08:05 PM »

I think the problem is compounded by the fact that most* of the mid-lines were already a little underpowered to start with.

Really? I always thought that most of the midline ships were awesome. The only ones that I think are a little underpowered are the Eagle and the Falcon (which I think all they could use is either a speed buff or a survivability buff) and the Brawler (again, more SPEED).

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 05:27:56 PM »

Really? I always thought that most of the midline ships were awesome. The only ones that I think are a little underpowered are the Eagle and the Falcon (which I think all they could use is either a speed buff or a survivability buff) and the Brawler (again, more SPEED).

Brauler.
Falcon.
Eagle.
Sunder.
Vigilance.

None can stand up to their low-tech, or high-tech comparables.

I'd argue the only capable mid-line ships are the Conquest and Hammerhead. I'm ignoring the obviously valuable Gemini & Venture; the former isn't a combat ship, and the latter I don't consider to be mid-line due to its heavy armour & low speed.

There is one commonality with both the Hammerhead & Conquest; their defensive mounts are small energy and their offensive mounts are ballistic.
In front-line combat this mount configuration synergizes well enough to compensate for their mediocre armour/shield/flux/speed.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 05:31:48 PM by TJJ »

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 05:52:57 PM »

I think you've got the Falcon all wrong. It takes a little getting used to, and as a solo ship it's a little lacking, but in a small fleet battle, the reasonably low cost of the Falcon means that it can be used quite effectively as the anvil into which opponents are driven, with the engine power to keep up with the fight. I find it especially helpful if I've got other ships laden down with tactical weaponry, as it can comfortably hold the slightly larger assault weapons.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 06:33:35 PM »

My issue with the Falcon is its lack of PD and large profile. If you put heavy burst pd on the energy slots then you have pretty good pd (at a very very high price), but the forward firepower is less than a Hammerhead due to systems. Or you can put gravitons in the energy slots and eat every missile on the shields.  The profile is also so large that its going to eat incoming bombers and can't dodge any shots. I'd just rather have a Hammerhead.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 07:24:37 PM »

Brawler.
Sunder.
Vigilance.
None can stand up to their low-tech, or high-tech comparables.
They aren't made to stand up to their rivals, they're made to support the larger ships.

Eagle.
In pre 53a, I seem to recall designing Eagles that destroy Dominators.

Regardless, in the Simulator I just had a custom Eagle destroy a Support Dominator with a little less than half hull remaining. And against a Heavy Assault, 100% hull. So it can, at the very least, stand up to it's low-tech comparable.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 07:26:58 PM »

Yeah I don't understand the mid-tech slams. They are my favorite ships. And no jets are not as "good" as skimming or burn drive. But they complement the way the mid-techs play very very well.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2]