Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mod Manger/Updater. Any Interest?  (Read 4625 times)

vulthoom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Mod Manger/Updater. Any Interest?
« on: August 10, 2012, 04:57:44 PM »

I was thinking of making a little Java application that would scan your mods folder for the mods you currently have installed, then check the known download locations for them to see if there are updates, and then download and update the mods that need it.

1) Has this already been done, and I just couldn't find it in the forums?
2) Is there any interest in this, or should I just make it for myself and leave you guys alone?

Current Ideas
  • Update currently installed mods
  • Make all known mods available for downloading, displaying whether they are compatible with the currently installed version of Starfarer
  • Indicate when a new version of Starfarer is available, and which mods it would make incompatible/compatible

I've decided that if I make a public version of this, I would like approval from each mod-maker before I include their mods.

If there is interest, and you have ideas, please post them here.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Manger/Updater. Any Interest?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 05:08:30 PM »

This can be definitely interesting!

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 05:16:47 PM »

1) no, the main reason would be because theres a Thread with the list of mods, that doesnt mean your program wasnt needed, ppl just didnt bother making one
2) sure, it helps alot for new users who have no idea how to install them or just dont know about it.

Yes it would be awesome.

This means the only program we need right now would be a:
Weapon/projectile creator

vulthoom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 05:23:36 PM »

The main goal of this utility would be the updating function, not the mod listing/installing one.

I personally find checking each mod I have installed in the mod list thread to see if it has updates for the current version of Starfarer a little less than efficient.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 05:46:21 PM »

How would it work, really? For me, anyway, I update my mod just by chucking the latest .rar file in my public dropbox folder, I'm guessing that there would need to be some mod repository for it to be a less than awkward side for you, the coder. There was such a site, but it seems to have been dead for quite some time

vulthoom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 06:15:47 PM »

How would it work, really? For me, anyway, I update my mod just by chucking the latest .rar file in my public dropbox folder, I'm guessing that there would need to be some mod repository for it to be a less than awkward side for you, the coder. There was such a site, but it seems to have been dead for quite some time

That's a good question.

Keep in mind, if I intend on really making this work, the onus is on me to figure out how to make each mod work. Mod developers changing their current habits is totally optional, and I don't intend on asking them to.

There are a few ways to do this, and I intend to implement each one, and use them as needed.

• Same named file
    Check server timestamp against local timestamp or perform an MD5SUM check against the local mod
  • Incrementing version number
    Using (maybe quite) a few regex patterns, compare the version number of the server file with the local file
  • Provide a mod repository
    I have a web server with "infinite" space and bandwidth. I would be happy to host mod files for anyone who would be interested
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 06:45:50 PM by vulthoom »

NightKev

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 01:21:52 AM »

Considering there is this website now, maybe you should work with him and get it working with that website.
Durr, it didn't occur to me to check the OP post time, I just saw the thread bumped up and was like "oh *** this is great".
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 04:45:15 PM by NightKev »

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 01:46:33 AM »

Maybe. If it works as you say it could, Maybe through scanning and comparing your version to that listed on the download page? Like Tortoise SVN does?
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

keptin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 02:16:06 AM »

I'm interested!

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 02:20:23 AM »

I'm interested!

Same here, I'm in!

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 05:28:33 AM »

The main reason why people use mod managers is to easily switch between mods without tedious manual installation processes inbetween.

Seeing how that is already accounted for natively (you can just dump all mods in the folder and select which ones should be active, excellently simple and functional system) it probably wouldn't be used very much.
And going through the work just for an updater does not seem worth it. All it takes is having a link to the mod-section forum thread in each mod's description that the user checks once every one or two weeks.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad idea.
It's just that, for starfarer specifically, it is not required because installing and managing mods is already extremely easy an simple and the time of anyone talented enough to make such a tool would probably be better spent on something else.

vulthoom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 11:23:43 AM »

The main reason why people use mod managers is to easily switch between mods without tedious manual installation processes inbetween.

Seeing how that is already accounted for natively (you can just dump all mods in the folder and select which ones should be active, excellently simple and functional system) it probably wouldn't be used very much.

I think I may have misspoke by calling it a "mod manager". The current Starfarer launcher is great for choosing which mods to activate; clean and functional.

And going through the work just for an updater does not seem worth it. All it takes is having a link to the mod-section forum thread in each mod's description that the user checks once every one or two weeks.

This is the "issue" I'm primarily trying to address. Some of the mod postings (and I mean no offence when I say this) don't list either the current mod version or whether it is compatible with the current version of Starfarer.

I would like to call out a mod maker who does an excellent job with his forum post. I have no issue whatsoever determining version and compatibility from just the topic of his thread. That would be Uomoz. His forum topic (which he updates on each release) contains all the important information one would like to know.

[0.53.a] Uomoz's Corvus 16.2: POWER BLOCKS (Factions Collection)

I would feel much less compelled to make a mod updater if most, if not all the forum topics had this format.

By no means is Uomoz the only mod maker with this topic format, but his is the first mod I installed, so I have a soft spot for it.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 11:28:32 AM »

By no means is Uomoz the only mod maker with this topic format, but his is the first mod I installed, so I have a soft spot for it.

:D