Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Issues with strafing  (Read 2770 times)

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
Issues with strafing
« on: December 15, 2011, 11:40:14 PM »

At first I thought I'd put this in General Discussion, but on second thought I think it fits better here.

Often - and when I just tested it out in the tutorial, it seems to be about random - when I try to strafe with my ships (Shift plus A or D) it takes a while, maybe half a second to a second, for the game to notice that the Shift is pressed down and until then, the ship turns rather than strafes. This, as you can imagine, makes strafing something I don't tend to do much because I can't count on it to make things better rather than worse in tight spots - which are the exact times when it'd be useful in the first place.

Not sure if it's an issue I have alone. And now that I think about it, I haven't tested it on the laptop due to the above considerations - since it's not reliable, I never got into the habit of using it in the first place.

CommComms

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with strafing
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 12:01:23 AM »

Yeah, I get the same thing.  It seems to need an input or two before it realizes shift is down for me, so if I just double tap a or d the first time after I hit shift it'll recognize it and be fine. 

Slowie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 08:43:47 AM »

I believe that when strafing, your ship always turns towards your mouse pointer before actually strafing. Perhaps that's what's happening?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 09:46:59 AM »

Yeah - although it actually starts strafing immediately - but will always turn towards the mouse pointer.

Also, just pressing shift isn't enough to initiate strafe mode - you have to actually start strafing by at least tapping A or D. That way it doesn't activate accidentally when you're just pressing shift-1/2/3/4 to toggle auto-fire mode.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 11:21:32 AM »

Okay, that makes sense.