Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30

Author Topic: Fleet Control Mod (Incomplete test version available, please help!)  (Read 181371 times)

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Fleet Control Mod (v.75, .53a) Major bugfixes. (For real this time.)
« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2012, 04:12:14 PM »

Okay, so I might have overdone things just a smidge- every permanent contract available and 25 mining contracts. It now takes 5 minutes to save a game, and I've been unsuccessful in loading it back in. I'm not sure if this bodes well for both this mod and the whole sandbox thing planned for the game in general. :-\

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2012, 04:16:06 PM »

We just need a limit on how many fleets can be in-game at one time. :)
Maybe once character traits are implemented, this can be done more efficiently.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 15, 2012, 04:23:37 PM »

I can probably limit how many fleets you have active fairly easily. I'll try and do that for the next version.

I found a HUGE bug.  Send out maybe 5 mining fleet contracts.  Go to an asteroid and wait.  WATCH THE ORE AND PRECIOUS METAL START FLOWING.

The more mining pods that are in the system in general, the more ore you get.  Very buggy. -_-'
So wait, when you have mining pods in the system at all, YOUR getting ore from sitting on an asteroid? I'll look into it.

EDIT: Or are you simply saying they mine too effectively?
EDIT2: OH GOD they mine fast! I think I totally see what your saying. Yeah, I'm gonna drop that down drastically.

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 15, 2012, 05:08:45 PM »

Actually, I think that the miners are also what slowed down my saving/loading so badly. I turned on compressed save data or whatever it's called, ran Starfarer in a window to watch my CPU and memory, of which I had plenty, and saved before buying 25 mining contracts, no problem. Built up by base in devmode, no issues. However, after putting the contracts in my HQ and spawning them alongside a decent security force, saving slowed way down.

Sure, you're expecting that, now that there are so many fleets flying around. HOWEVER, I had twice as many fleets out my last save, and it ran just fine. Need more proof? I waited for all of the contracts to expire and every fleet to despawn, and it still took nearly twenty seconds to save. Now that's nothing compared to at least two minutes like the previous game, but significantly than the one second before activating the miners in the first place. And all this time I've still got plenty of memory and CPU to go around.

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 15, 2012, 05:10:28 PM »

That would be logical, the amount of repeated coding, multiple scripts running, the coding for the miners is a complete mess. Hopefully though, with a cap set you should be able to get a full fleets of miners and not experience slowdowns.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 15, 2012, 05:27:35 PM »

Probably the amount of loops on the miners, since there no actual "real" mining code on the game so far, its repeating the "go in that asteroid" every 100 ms (or w/e Star Farer has it set for) for every fleet

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2012, 05:34:06 PM »

That would be logical, the amount of repeated coding, multiple scripts running, the coding for the miners is a complete mess. Hopefully though, with a cap set you should be able to get a full fleet of miners and not experience slowdowns.
Perhaps, but I'm not sure how much a cap will help if the code is all over the place. I think troubleshooting the code for the miners and making it as minimal as functionally possible will be the main factor in reducing slowdowns, not merely limiting them.

For example, if the limit was 20 fleets at once, I could put out 20 miners and, provided they don't all get horribly murdered, it will theoretically do the same thing to my computer.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 15, 2012, 05:44:49 PM »

Don't just drop down the mining rate, I say buff it because alone, the player mines so slowly.  But when there are other fleets in the system with mining drones near asteroids, it increases the rate of mining.

And it's not the miners that slow down the game, I think.  It might just be the huge amount of fleets in the system.
Scratch that, nevermind.  Just tested it and it is miners.  Damn them, even though they're my favorite fleet. :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 05:48:40 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 15, 2012, 05:52:14 PM »

And it's not the miners that slow down the game, I think.  It might just be the huge amount of fleets in the system.
Scratch that, nevermind.  Just tested it and it is miners.  Damn them, even though they're my favorite fleet. :)
That's the thing- I tried removing several of the most obvious variables, and it really only left the miners. Fortunately, after continuing my game for an hour after all of the miners expired, it's back to fairly normal save speeds again, but it seems to take a while for it to work itself out of the system.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2012, 05:52:37 PM »

Just to check, since i decided to buy a pile load of miners ( for cough afk money goodiness )

save becoming nonpossible because of the sheer wait time and I crashed the game with a java overhead warning  :D

Is it possible to see just having large quantities of miners in the fleet hq is as bad as having the buttload of miners already out and mining?

Because I believe it is a possible source of crash inducing fun :P

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2012, 07:46:29 PM »

Keep in mind, I had compressed save information on for this test, which supposedly makes it faster to load/save, and bought nothing besides the full stack of 1000 miner contracts.
MacBook Pro, 4GB memory, 2.4GHz Dual Core Intel. Running the game in Steam because I can.
Is it possible to see just having large quantities of miners in the fleet hq is as bad as having the buttload of miners already out and mining?
Because I believe it is a possible source of crash inducing fun :P
So to answer your question, I started a new game with my version, which is one behind the latest, and bought THE WHOLE MINERS and took them to HQ and put them in and saved. Perfectly normal saving speed, which is to say, nearly instantly. Waited for one to come out, saving took about a second. After 15 had emerged (although most had been destroyed), things slowed down to three seconds. At 20, it slowed down to 10. At 25: 15.

At this point, I removed the contracts and waited for a few minutes while the miners were horribly *** by pirates. When starting a new game, your planet is close to the Hegemony station which happens to be close to the pirates, who love miners. Although things sped up to about 7 seconds, there were no miners left alive.

Naturally, the only course of action was to ramp it up a bit. After 35 more, it took 30 seconds. I opened it up and let loose 50. Naturally they weren't all spawned at once, and there were no more than 15 out at a time, but it didn't take any longer to save than before.

It seems that miners alone can't slow it down to crashing, but they do have a much stronger effect. I could dominate the whole solar system with fleets everywhere, fighting all of the factions at once and only slow down saving to 5 seconds, 7 tops without compressed save info. While 15 miners take it to nearly six times that with compression. Along the way, I nearly 2GB of RAM and topped out at about 60% CPU usage by the game.

Interestingly enough, after switching back to uncompressed save files and saving to make it convert back, loading brought the game to a complete standstill. I'm still waiting after several minutes. Strangely, saving didn't take more than a few seconds longer uncompressed, so I don't know why loading completely murders it.

Update: Hey! It's been an hour, and still no movement. Loading after a good number of miners without save compression just doesn't happen.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:54:44 PM by DelicateTask »

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 15, 2012, 08:20:58 PM »

Hrm, I can experiment with various options, but I can't make any promises on this one. There aren't very many ways to make mining work properly :(.
If only there was a wait or a follow assignment where they'll just sit on the asteroid for a set time, or somethin'.

I don't wanna remove 'em though.

Planned features for next update:
Ore a properly implemented cost for patrol fleets.
Mining speed drastically reduced.

New "Resources" - Station Reports. These are items that are automatically reset in your Fleet HQ each day. They help indicate how many resources your producing, will tell you if your producing negative resources (which obviously will result in a net loss of resources and eventual nonfunctional buildings,) and tell you exactly how many crew you need to operate your buildings.

They're worth nothing, so don't bother removing them from your Fleet HQ. All that will do is clutter your cargo up.

After this update, I'll probably spend more time fixing any bugs you guys find, and maybe dip into Shadow Order again.

GruntyThrst

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2012, 08:31:57 PM »

IS it possible to update a save from the vanilla game so that it works with this mod, or is a new game required?

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2012, 08:32:29 PM »

Unfortunately you'll need a separate save file for this mod.
I think.

GruntyThrst

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2012, 08:40:50 PM »

Oh well. I can think of many worse fates than having to once again claw my way out of the pit of anonymity and terrorize Corvus once more.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 30