Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30

Author Topic: Fleet Control Mod (Incomplete test version available, please help!)  (Read 181332 times)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
Re: Fleet Control Mod (v.25, .53a) Fleet management, testing needed!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 10:02:22 AM »

OK, I really really like this mod.
Along with Thaago's restock mod my campaign has been completely revitalized.

Though the pricing is iffy

Paying just 120 credits - that's one light machine gun - for an early game fleet to stomp stuff in your name is very OP.

IDK really
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 10:56:23 AM »

Ah-hmm....just tested it out on Dev mode, VERY interesting mod!  Gives you the power to have multiple fleets (or at least, as close as one can get)!  I just want to know, what happens to a Trade Fleet (the one that you purchase from the Hegemony Orbital Station) after it makes two trade runs?  My Trade Fleet disappeared after that (maybe it got destroyed).  A message "205/1000 Supplies traded" keeps poping up and nothing changes.
to balanced out the contracts, make them each worth the same amount of ship that are in the fleet (each fleet will have what's described.  for example, the high-tech scout fleet might have two wolfs and two wasp wings.  make the contract worth however much it is to purchase the hull ships and wings, then cut it down to 3/4 price or something similar).  That way, a capital fleet is a true investment to the player, and smaller fleets can be easily replaced, but not spammed.  For me, 10k for a high-tech scout fleet is a good deal, I almost consistently carry 30k around with me about an hour or so into a new game.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 11:05:19 AM »

about "Profit" card (or whatever it is)  you can gain 1k just buy & sell it
& u can attack friendly fleet
thats things that disturbed me so far, BUT still Love the Mod Bcuz you can rise your own EMPIRE
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »

Adding on to my last post, you can make the fleets slightly more expensive (maybe 2k for a low-tech scout fleet) but they are payed to do their job.  Depending on fleet size, the salary you give to your contractors goes up (paid per-week kind of thing).  Is this possible?
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 11:35:53 AM »

The only problem is the amount- using devmode and restock, I might ( ::) ) have placed a full stack of an armarda in there-the game lags out sooo much
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 12:37:46 PM »

Ah-hmm....just tested it out on Dev mode, VERY interesting mod!  Gives you the power to have multiple fleets (or at least, as close as one can get)!  I just want to know, what happens to a Trade Fleet (the one that you purchase from the Hegemony Orbital Station) after it makes two trade runs?  My Trade Fleet disappeared after that (maybe it got destroyed).  A message "205/1000 Supplies traded" keeps poping up and nothing changes.
The message is telling you how many supplies you have. Once you have 1000, your HQ will send a trade fleet. That message is actually for debugging, I'm planning on removing it xD. The fleet only makes one run.

to balanced out the contracts, make them each worth the same amount of ship that are in the fleet (each fleet will have what's described.  for example, the high-tech scout fleet might have two wolfs and two wasp wings.  make the contract worth however much it is to purchase the hull ships and wings, then cut it down to 3/4 price or something similar).  That way, a capital fleet is a true investment to the player, and smaller fleets can be easily replaced, but not spammed.  For me, 10k for a high-tech scout fleet is a good deal, I almost consistently carry 30k around with me about an hour or so into a new game.
The problem with making these fleets more expensive, is that they don't return much in profits. The reason why the low level ones are so cheap is because all your really getting from them is 50 supplies and a chance for a couple of weapons, which is actually pretty jack. Especially if they die.

Adding on to my last post, you can make the fleets slightly more expensive (maybe 2k for a low-tech scout fleet) but they are payed to do their job.  Depending on fleet size, the salary you give to your contractors goes up (paid per-week kind of thing).  Is this possible?
Hmmm, maybe. A lot of things have to be done in awkward ways. Like giving you profits in the form of... a weapon called profit. I have a few ideas, but that may require more awkward weapons that make no sense.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 12:41:58 PM »

Ah, so the trade fleet needs 1000 supplies in which station to set off?

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 12:44:38 PM »

Yep, 1000 supplies in your Abandoned Storage Facility.

The idea is that you can have your contracted fleets and such fly around, they dump their supplies, the supplies are then traded.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 12:46:19 PM »

Hmmm...
maybe give the merc fleets OP variants or something to make up for the poor returns?
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 01:07:40 PM »

At the moment you're not buying the ships though - you're paying some mercenaries 120 credits to stomp stuff in your name and give you any interesting weapons they find, and whatever supplies and fuel they looted that they don't immediately need - they get to keep any ships they capture, so this deal is pretty sweet for them as well :)

If you DO want them to drop off ships, how's this for a possibility?
First, store what type of fleet they all are in some enum somewhere - I'm assuming you'd have to subclass the fleet class for this if you haven't already
Then, have a script that fires when they reach the abandoned station, before they dissolve.
The script would check through every ship that's currently in the fleet, and if it finds a) any ship types that weren't in there from the start or b) more of a shiptype than the fleet started with, it adds the excess to the adandoned station.  Technically these would be entirely new ships (presumably blank hulls) rather than the -actual- looted vessels, but I doubt anyone would care that much.
I imagine the coding would be a bit of work but from what I've seen of the fleet and cargo APIs, this should all be possible?

(LazyWizard's advice on convoy delivery here would probably be helpful for this?)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 01:44:17 PM by Darloth »

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 01:20:16 PM »

Can we see a video of it in action?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 02:14:22 PM »

Why watch a video when you spend 5 minutes of you time installing it?  Trust me, it's much better playing it than seeing it. :)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 07:29:36 PM »

Anyways, I found that the Profit chips found after a supply fleet returns can be sold for -4000 credits and bought for +6000 credits (you lose 4000 if you sell, gain 6000 if you buy).  Of course, this leads to bad things. ;D Plan to fix this:  make the Profit chip a positive 6000, not negative, and have the supply fleets return their load to the Abandoned storage facility (so you don't have to buy it).

And don't make the supply fleets drop off more supplies in the Profit Center/ASF (if you choose to change it) because it turns into an endless cycle.  You must work for money, not travel endlessly between the ASF and the Profit Center!

Also, the Profit Center and the Fleet HQ can be the same thing if you take my advice for the spamming of Profit chips.  Also so you can't see stuff to your own place, duh. ::)

And I find the larger contract fleets (Assault 1/2 fleets) are extremely good at getting supplies and weapons back to the base, as well as crew.  I once saw, after one run from a High-Tech Assault Fleet 1, it dropped off 10 Elite crew and 300 supplies!  Quiet a few weapons were included as well.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 07:31:27 PM by The Soldier »

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 08:02:38 PM »

Hmm, yeah I don't really like the profit center. I'll probably remove it, add a "Weapons trader" who will manually trade whatever weapons you leave in the Abandoned Station*.

Since I've now learned how to directly change money, the Profit items will be changed/removed.

EDIT1: *This is actually turning out to be really bloody hard.
EDIT2: I'm going to lose my job over this game. I can't sleep when I get focused though.
EDIT3: I've got it working, should update this morning. I've sacrificed so much sleep to get this done at this time, so there had BETTER be some appreciation or I will sure as hell tie a noose and hang myself off the ceiling.

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile

Okay the update is up. Things new in this version:

The Weapons Traders. These JERKS were a MENACE to add, so they better get some love. To use them, first place them in your Fleet HQ like the other squads.

For the REGULAR Weapon Trader, place the weapons you want them to sell in the Fleet HQ.
For the AUTOMATED Weapon Trader, place whatever weapons you want them to sell in the Abandoned Storage Facility. They will automatically sell weapons left by your Squads as well.

Also, the Traders are no longer permanent, HOWEVER they are returned to your Fleet HQ upon returning. So keep them safe!
And I removed the Profit Center. Nobody liked it, neither did I. Except for you exploiters. Shame on you  ::).

Known issues:
-The Energy Core from the Shadow Order is not being sold by the convoys, it just stays in the HQ/Storage. I know why this is happening. I just don't want to test the fix because I need a nap before work... /sigh
-If you cram too many weapons on one convoy, it will probably explode on the way there. They have lots of space, but not UNLIMITED space. However, since you get paid in advance for weapons (which could in itself be considered an issue, but it seemed the only way I could reasonably do it) it's no big a deal. You'll just need to buy another trader.

BTW: In case anyone is wondering why this was such a menace, it seemed I had to make two lists of each weapon in the game+mods to get it to work. One containing the Weapon ID and Price, the other containing the Weapon ID and a number I could use to search for it in said list. If I knew more about Java (Hey, it's been a while since I took CS2 okay?) I not only would have not taken forever to figure this out, but I would have figured out a way to do it easier, because you know DARN WELL there is a better way, I just haven't found it and don't feel like finding it yet :p.

BTW2: So yeah, if I don't see those Mediafire Download numbers and topic replies when I get home from work tomorrow, I will probably hang myself.

Can we see a video of it in action?
When I'm not murdering myself, I think I might actually make a video so show EXACTLY how this thing works. But as was mentioned, it's a quick download ;)

EDIT: /sigh I seem to be in "coding mode" right now, which means sleep is impossible. Expect an update later with production structures, fuel convoys, and personnel convoys later. Also, I think I'll throw in some quick checks to see if popular mods are running, and have your relations properly effect your faction with modded factions. There won't be any squads added yet though, that'll be my next project.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30