Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30

Author Topic: Fleet Control Mod (Incomplete test version available, please help!)  (Read 181373 times)

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile

Currently revamping the mod for Version .6, download for the old version above. Probably doesn't work, but I haven't tried. The new version will make use of the dialogue system, allow you to build stations wherever you like, and have much more control over precisely what your stations do. Will keep this thread updated as I move along.

Test version uploaded here.

Currently testing: Building, Facilities, Patrols.

Trading fleets are not available yet.

In this version, you can buy a station contract from the Temporary Fleet Center around Corvus II. From there, you should be able to interact with any planet in the sector and build your station there, as long as you have a contract.

You should be able to build multiple stations, although I can all but guarantee that having multiple stations around a single planet will be broken in some way. You won't be able to do that when I actually do a proper release version. More than one station outside of a single planet should, in theory, be fine. You never know though.

The functions you are allowed to perform at your station include constructing facilities and setting up fleets.

Constructing Facilities:
Facilities start cheap, but increase in cost with each successive purchase for that particular station. Purchasing anything also increases the price of all facilities by a smaller amount as well. There is no set limit to how many facilities you can have on a single station. There is a crew required amount, but it is not checked yet, so don't worry about it.

Setting Up Fleets:
You can have up to 3 fleet configurations set up at any given time. The chances of a fleet spawning are evenly divided. Each day, the station will attempt to spawn one of them at random. If you have the resources to spawn it, it should appear.

To set up a fleet, go to the sub menu and click on the one you want to change. The tooltip should display the cost information provided you have one set up. Once you've clicked the button, it will open up a buying/selling screen. Sell the ships you want placed in the fleet. They will retain all of their weapons, mods, capacitors etc. You can buy the ships you've placed in the configuration whenever you like. Free transfer is currently broken, going to have to wait for the actual game to patch for that.

Also, later down the line there will be a different dialogue system when interacting with your own fleets, and it will not involve being able to attack them at all. Unless I figure something out, it would be way to cheesy to just create weaponless ships and farm them.

Old information:
Spoiler
How it works:
Download Link (Starsector Patch .54.1a)

Step one: Buy your Storage Facility.
This is going to be where your fleets will deposit their goods, and where your structures will pull resources from to make more resources. You must buy this before you have access to the Fleet HQ.

Step two: Buy the Fleet HQ.
Here is where everything happens. Though it seems like the same as your Storage Facility, when you place fleet contracts here, they will spawn actual fleets. This is also where you deposit any structures you buy. Your structures need crew to be powered, place some crew of any level (not marines) based on the number of structures you have.

Brainbread made a very useful spreadsheet for this mod, you can get it here.

Using this with other mods:
Should be compatible with most mods, however it is also LINKED to a few mods as well. Here's the extra content you'll have available to you.
Each Mod Faction will have 4 tiers of squads, plus 1 permanent contract unique to each faction (Currently missing in this version).

Scrappers Faction: Provides a contract that will occasionally spawn a convoy that will deliver free Scrapper stuff to your Storage Facility.
Shadow Order: Provides a contract with a small chance per day to spawn a Spec Ops Phase Fleet which will attack an opposing Station.

If anyone else is interested, and would like their mod to be made compatible/linked, let me know in a reply or something. It DOES require the "AI Player Faction" to be added to the separate mod. I'll probably do a section on that when I actually have sleep.

Soon, I think I'm gonna start doing the factions in UC myself. Since it's a compilation of many mods, that'll help significantly.

Known Issues:
Nothing big to my knowledge.

Any help would be appreciated for variants, balance, and ideas. Thanks!

Version 0.1: Added the initial wave of fleet contracts, with mod support for Scrappers and Shadow Order.
Version 0.2: Added the Supply Trader and the Packer freighter to each squad.
Version 0.35: Added the bloody Weapon Trader along with the Automated Weapon Trader.
Version 0.5: Added in a huge variety of buildings.
Version 0.55: Thanks to Darloth, I no longer have to manually add in modded faction relations! Hurrah!
Version 0.70: Adding mining and hydroponic ships/fleets. You now have to buy your Storage and Station.
Version 0.75: Fixed lots of errors.
Version 0.80: Added the Station Reports, reduced mining speed significantly, and added an Ore cost to patrols.
Version 0.90: Rewrote much of the code. Redid how convoys work, added a "Poor" faction that spawns neutral miners, added a mutiny system, and more.
Version 0.95: Added a set of Industry skills
Version 0.98: Added in the Ox as a small mining frigate. Retuned mining overall.
Version 0.99: Fixed some bugs.
Version 1.00: You now gain experience from mining and selling via convoy. Your fleet should now share your relations again.
Version 1.10: Poor Mining Faction changes. Now gets wealthier with success. Ox changed to a fighter wing. Replaced by the Digger, a mining frigate.
Version 1.15: Fixed a bug involving Hydroponic Civilian Fleets.
[close]

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile

Fleet HQ?  What's that?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile

It floats around Corvus I, the same planet as the Abandoned Storage Facility. I should probably find a way to explain how it works in game xD.

EDIT: Remember when I said Corvus I? I lied, it's Corvus II :(
EDIT: The above edit is actually a lie. I must have been REALLY TIRED.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile

I think this mod really is something special. Would you be interested in implementing this into U'sC?

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile

I think this mod really is something special. Would you be interested in implementing this into U'sC?
I certainly could xD. It'll take some time, lemme get it a lil more fleshed out first ;)

(Especially with the shear size of U'sC)

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile

Quite simply put, I like it.

However, having seen what you were able to do with this has me rather excited about what further implementation could do. Additionally, I'm wondering if the framework could be expanded to make the fleets permanent (at least until they die).

One issue I'm seeing is that they don't offer much return for their initial cost. I pay a good bit of money for some of the nicer fleets that might actually survive, and they barely bring me anything. What I do get is usually low value for the amount of cargo space, so in order to profit, I have to essentially become a cargo fleet and haul crap to the Orbital Station for pennies.

I sure complain a lot for someone who claims to like the mod. ;) It's only because I like it that I care to see it become something truly fun to use.

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile

Neat, I think this is the first mod that actually adds campaign depth instead of just new factions/ships

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile

However, having seen what you were able to do with this has me rather excited about what further implementation could do. Additionally, I'm wondering if the framework could be expanded to make the fleets permanent (at least until they die).
I think what I'm going to do is make the contracted fleets the "raid and return supplies" guys, and the permanent fleets the "give your life to defend the galaxy" squads. In my current build, there's a contract that will allow you to spawn a small stream of low tech patrols that doesn't run out, these guys never return. I'll definitely expand that so you can progress to bigger fleets that will go out and give their lives ;).
One issue I'm seeing is that they don't offer much return for their initial cost. I pay a good bit of money for some of the nicer fleets that might actually survive, and they barely bring me anything. What I do get is usually low value for the amount of cargo space, so in order to profit, I have to essentially become a cargo fleet and haul crap to the Orbital Station for pennies.
I do agree. While they're not suppose to be a "get rich fast" method, at the moment the stronger fleets aren't very good value. I've made a few changes so they hopefully hang around longer, and also if you get a decent enough sized fleet and start rakin' in those supplies, you can purchase an automated trader contract that will trade them for profit.

The best part though, might be the second station that floats around Corvus I, your "Profit Center." This is a normal shop that you can quickly sell your extra spoils to, typically you should be able to transport large amounts of gear without having accidents.

I also added a 175 Speed Frigate Freighter that is added to every Contracted Fleet that can carry large amounts of cargo. It has very high Speed, Hull, and Armor for it's class as well, but only has a small turret mount and accelerates/handles VERY SLOWLY. This means even the smaller fleets can carry big loads, maintain their speed out of combat, and overall have a greater chance of making it back alive.

Hopefully I can push this update out today.

bluntfang

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Is there any chance of the fleets coming back with a "prize" (a captured ship).

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Fleet Control Mod (v.25, .53a) Fleet management, testing needed!
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »

Sadly no, not yet. They have this habit of integrating ships into their fleets instead of dumping them off at the Storage >_<.
I think I'm gonna try to figure SOMETHING out though, I think it'd be cute if you could find a ship in there once in a blue moon. Maybe a mod specific contract or something.

Also, new update for tonight! Integrated with Scrappers and Shadow Order, updates for both the other mods are also available to work with this one.

Basically everything I added is covered by my post above, I believe.

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 03:32:59 AM »

Not really sure what the coding limitations are for something like this, but would it be possible to dump ships into the fleet hq and have the 'contract' use them as a separate fleet, then give you control of the ships again after the raid?
Edit: also worth mentioning; it's great to see a mod like this that adds gameplay mechanics instead of just more content. (not that more content isn't nice, we just have an awful lot of high quality stuff and it's great to see someone expanding it in a different direction, this could definitely be something groundbreaking like the diplomacy mod that started with Gunrunner's a while back.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 03:35:07 AM by Wriath »

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 06:15:26 AM »

i was hoping that full game ver. will have that feature, but its nice that someone still doing mods that have nothing to do with new ships or wepons,
thx again you give a little spice to the curret game ver.

BUT...  ::) what if you can cuztomize friendly fleets, like just put your own ships (that current not in use) in "friendly fleet" & just let them do stuff

OFF TOPIC:& if there any mod out there that customize other faction wepons? randomize or something like that
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 07:05:34 AM »

That's uhh... pretty much what I asked was possible Sony

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 07:14:19 AM »

I was hoping that full game ver. will have that feature, but its nice that someone still doing mods that have nothing to do with new ships or weapons.

I agree. The final game will likely incorporate most of what this mod is trying to do, and more effectively, but that update is (as far as I can tell) a LONG way off, and it's great to have a mod that allows for some cool stuff right now:D

I don't think that any sort of "Get rich quick" method would be very fun, but I was thinking that if, on a larger scale, having these fleets could be profitable, then you could have some sort of trading gameplay type where your main source of income is protecting your traders for resources and money. Right now I'm a little tired of blowing the crap out of pirates for cash, then attacking the Tri-Tachyon because I'm bored, then killing the Hegemony simply because I can. A more managerial type of gameplay would be a breath of fresh air.

Finally, I'd like to agree with everyone else that I really appreciate mods that add gameplay value, rather than new ships, weapons, and factions all over the place.

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 09:13:04 AM »

well SOOO SORRY Wriath  that i don't read elier posts (ony 1st)

besides                                                                                                                ::)     
-the ABOMINATION - in progress
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30