Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.53.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 167941 times)

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.53.1a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2012, 03:01:08 PM »

now that limited built in weapons are possible... can we have customisable fighters? (all the main weapons can be built in, maybe just let us choose the payload for some missiles)
mmm.... tartiflette

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 15, 2012, 03:06:09 PM »

now that limited built in weapons are possible... can we have customisable fighters? (all the main weapons can be built in, maybe just let us choose the payload for some missiles)

Custom fighters would be dreadfully broken. Thunders with Reapers anyone?

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 15, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »

maybe not that...

how about more minor things like "would you rather have a harpoon or a sabot on your longbow?" or "would you rather have atropos or reaper + some hullmod for your trident

my point is we can have as much or as little customisation as we want, instead of customise all or customise none
mmm.... tartiflette

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 15, 2012, 08:59:20 PM »

I'm loving the constant improvements and additions to the combat and ships Alex, but I'm curious about when we'll start to see the campaign/sandbox aspects of the game fleshed out.

Do you have a rough estimate on when such topics will be receiving some love?

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 15, 2012, 09:16:18 PM »

see my signature.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 15, 2012, 09:24:54 PM »

see my signature.

Yes, that still stands, 100%.

I'm loving the constant improvements and additions to the combat and ships Alex, but I'm curious about when we'll start to see the campaign/sandbox aspects of the game fleshed out.

Do you have a rough estimate on when such topics will be receiving some love?

Soon(tm)? Seriously, though - after 0.53.1a comes out, the next patch will be focused on campaign features. Exactly which features, I won't say quite yet :)

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 15, 2012, 09:39:39 PM »

If it has anything to do with managing your own fleet, I will almost certainly kill myself.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 15, 2012, 10:08:59 PM »

Well, if it makes you happy, probably the first step is to expose a lot of stuff to Java and define the way that system-to-system to travel will work.

BTW, I know it's probably been mused about before, but is system-to-system going to be purely grid-distance or will there be any possibilities of gates, wormholes, etc. that provide swift passage?  I thought that was one of the more charming things about Freelancer; it gave the game a "geography", hidden shortcuts to find and speculate about and doesn't necessarily interfere with using Fuel or having areas that are free-roam Fuel-cost only.  Just a thought, ofc :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 15, 2012, 11:09:50 PM »

Well, that's...new.  He's got around 1300 posts, in between me and avan.  Oh well, he's just special like that. :D

He must have 1337 posts which, in leetspeak, translates to 'leet'.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 16, 2012, 07:38:14 AM »

Ah, sometimes these forums have such nice features. :)
I can't wait for more campaign features!
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 16, 2012, 08:12:09 AM »

Alex, I'd like to submit the following suggestions for your consideration. The theme of these ideas is to increase the popularity of certain under-used elements in Starfarer.

Hull Mods

Automated Repair Unit - Also grants a slow in-battle repair rate to armor. Reason: This might well be the most under-used hull mod, probably because there is pretty much always always a better use for the OP cost. A slow regen rate for armor would put this mod back on the map, and give omni-shielded ships without 360 degree shield protection the ability to shield their weak spots while their armor slowly repairs.

Integrated Point Defense AI - Reduce OP cost to same level as Advanced Turret Gyros. Reason: This is truly a nice feature for a hull mod, but it's the kind of thing that you'd want to tack on cheaply if you had a few OP to spare.

Insulated Engine Assembly - Also reduces duration of overloaded effect. Reason: Slightly under-used mod as well, decreasing overloaded duration would give players a genuine selection dilemma between this and other mods at similar OP cost.

Ships (alphabetical order)

Apogee - Convert some existing weapon mounts into universal or add universal mounts. Reason: As an exploratory vessel, the Apogee should be more flexible than other ships of its class. This would also solve the current issue that the Aurora dominates the Apogee in almost every way. (i.e. no need to make Apogee more powerful, just emphasize its flexibility)

Astral - Convert 2 small missile mounts into 2 medium missile mounts. Slightly increase OP. Reason: The Astral is slightly underwhelming for its fleet cost. Carriers should be all about projection of long-range power. Having 2 medium and 2 large missile slots would allow the Astral to generate enough long-range threat to warrant the player having to do something about the Astral rather than ignoring it until everything else is disabled.

Conquest - Increase firing arcs of medium and large ballistic mounts to 175 degrees. Reason: Piloting a Conquest is already penalizing in the sense that you only have access to 50% of your firepower at any given moment. As long as the firing arcs are below 180, the Conquest cannot fire all weapons frontally, and 175 degree arcs would allow the pilot to fire continuously between left and right "wings" of the ship when rotating.

Falcon - Increase OP to 110, increase combat speed to 85, reduce fleet cost to 11. Reason: It's hard to justify use of the Falcon once you have access to the Eagle, unless the Falcon presents itself in a totally different way. Just like the Hyperion might be considered a cruiser-strength frigate, we can make the Falcon a destroyer-cruiser hybrid. If you consider the Falcon with these new stats, it starts to feel like a genuine alternative, rather than a gimped Eagle.

Odyssey - Increase the firing arc of the back-most large energy mount to 360 (or close to 360). Also increase flux capacity to 17500. Reason: With its lower shield efficiency and lack of 360 degree shield coverage, the Odyssey is easily overwhelmed by missile spam. The 360 firing arc on one large energy mount allows for a Guardian PD to protect both sides of the ship, allowing for the other two mounts to serve their respective asymmetric functions.

Vigilance - Add 5 OP. Reason: Gives the player a bit more flexibility in customizing the ship.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 16, 2012, 08:17:56 AM »

there's a suggestions board for exactly this reason :P

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 16, 2012, 08:45:55 AM »

umm...

when did the paragon start having the HEF system?

this is from the index of the website by the way...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 16, 2012, 08:47:23 AM »

Ignore that :) David's somewhat out-of-date dev version.

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 16, 2012, 08:52:48 AM »

Soon(tm)? Seriously, though - after 0.53.1a comes out, the next patch will be focused on campaign features. Exactly which features, I won't say quite yet :)
I'm quivering with excitement  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23